Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Luke, couple questions for you

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Luke, couple questions for you

Tried to call you couple times yesterday to order tires, but was always routed to your voice mail. So I guess I just ask here, in case other are interested as well

1. How good is the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S, compared to the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 and the Michelin Pilot Sport (which I currently have on my car) ? Can you break it down in term of ride quality, noise, traction ? I see on the website, you have the Pirelli compared against the Yokohama, Goodyear, and Cont, but not against the two benchmark tires.

2. The Pirelli costs about 40% less than both the S03 and the Pilot Sport. How would you judge them value-wide ? With the treadwear of 400, does the Pirelli compromise the ride/handling ?

3. With the Pilot Sport, the tire noise is quite loud, and I seem to feel every bit and rock o the road. Handling is superb, but noise and ride could be anoying. Does the Pirelli have same ride charateristic ? I go w/ 35 psi on my tire now, which seems to lower the noise a bit, along w/ softer the ride. Before, w/ 40 psi, my car sounds like a monster truck on freeway, and rides like like too !!. How sensitive is the PZero w/ air pressure ? Btw, how good is tire wear & sizewall (bubble ??) on the Pirelli. I have never had any problem w/ my Michelin. Before, when I had an E39 and put Kumoz on it, I got bubble less than 10 miles after putting them on !!.

4. For what the Pirelli cost, is there better tire out there (take into account of handling/ride/noise/treadwear, with handling/noise being highest priority).

5. I live in Southern CA, lot of groove on the freeway. Does the Pirelli tramlining as bad as some people has posted on tirerack website ? From what I've seen, my Pilot Sport "let" me know every seam on the road. Does tire pressure & shock has to do w/ lot of it ?

6. You list the 235/45/17 won't be available til 07/27. If I order now, would I be charged when you ship out the tires ? or be charged right now ?

7. Most tire are great when new. Problem only appear after 5-10K mile. What typical problem you see on the PZero (for my Pilot Sport, it's noise and stiff ride that seem to rise along w/ mile).

Thanks.

Last edited by zam2000; 06-24-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PZero Nero M+S is an all-season tire and Pilot Sport and S-03 are summer tires. You cannot compare all-season tires to summer tires, they fall into different catagory.

If you think Pilot Sport is harsh, Pirelli will be harsher. The rubber compound that Pirelli uses is harder than Michelin.

If you are in So Cal, I see no reason why you have to get all-season tires. You should get S-03 or PS2. Pilot Sport and Pirelli are never my personal favorites.

I guess Luke can give you more advise....
Old 06-24-2004, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S4
Originally posted by Harris
PZero Nero M+S is an all-season tire and Pilot Sport and S-03 are summer tires. You cannot compare all-season tires to summer tires, they fall into different catagory.

If you think Pilot Sport is harsh, Pirelli will be harsher. The rubber compound that Pirelli uses is harder than Michelin.

If you are in So Cal, I see no reason why you have to get all-season tires. You should get S-03 or PS2. Pilot Sport and Pirelli are never my personal favorites.

what are your thoughts on the yokahama avs sports as far as harshness, tire noise and overall quality of the tire?? thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's why I ask him to give me his take, since tirerack only do comparision within category.

They're in different category by season, but all are performance tires. Also, that's why I didn't ask him how these tire compared to one another in snow. My take is you can't use summer tires as all season tires, but all-season tires are for all season, which includes summer, yea ?

The reason I asked him is because PilotSport and S-03 both cost $200/piece, while Pirelli runs about $120/each, and the Pirelli got a pretty decent reviews in tirerack in term of handling/ride. I ignored reviews w/ snow handling.

Looking to hear from Luke, the pro.

Originally posted by Harris

Old 06-24-2004, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, lets see what "the pro" has to say. I highly doubt Luke can tell us anything more than what we know already.

There is a REASON why tires are separated by catagory. If you want to bend the rules and insist to compare an all-seaon tire to summer tire, we'll see if anyone can give you the answer that you're looking for.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Luke,

what's your take on this article

[i]The largest German CAR magazine compared 225/45 R17 tires with Y and W speed rating. The test was performed on a BMW 325i. The results are:

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:
Pirelli P Zero Nero (highest rated tire)
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Michelin Pilot Sport

RECOMMENDED:
Goodyear Eagle F 1
Uniroyal Rain Sport 1
Falken FK 451
Nokian NRY

SLIGHTLY RECOMMENDED:
BF Goodrich G force Profiler

NOT RECOMMENDED:
Kumho Ecsta KU 19
Hankook Ventus Sport K 104

Originally posted by moa4r
what are your thoughts on the yokahama avs sports as far as harshness, tire noise and overall quality of the tire?? thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 01:48 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
while it is difficult to compare tires that are not in the same catagory ... i'll give it a shot though

the design of an all-season tire sacrifices wet and dry traction to achieve snow traction so, almost any summer tire will out perform an all-season in most cases.

The Pirelli mentioned is quite good in the dry so, it could out perform some lower level summer tires in the dry but, would be nowhere near the level of the S-03 or Pilot Sport.

The ride quality would be better because the performance level is lower and the rubber compound is more forgiving and longer lasting.

the Yokohama AVS Sport is a noisy, fast wearing tire

if you want really good ride quality, performance and life chack out the Eagle F1 GS-D3 from Goodyear
Old 06-25-2004, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S4
Originally posted by Luke@tirerack
while it is difficult to compare tires that are not in the same catagory ... i'll give it a shot though

the design of an all-season tire sacrifices wet and dry traction to achieve snow traction so, almost any summer tire will out perform an all-season in most cases.

The Pirelli mentioned is quite good in the dry so, it could out perform some lower level summer tires in the dry but, would be nowhere near the level of the S-03 or Pilot Sport.

The ride quality would be better because the performance level is lower and the rubber compound is more forgiving and longer lasting.

the Yokohama AVS Sport is a noisy, fast wearing tire

if you want really good ride quality, performance and life chack out the Eagle F1 GS-D3 from Goodyear
just curious, what tire do you run on your car?? thnx for the info,
Old 06-28-2004, 10:34 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
I have 4 cars ..... 1 has Michelin, 2 have Bridgestones and 1 runs VictoRacer V700's

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 06-28-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Luke

Do you happen to own a Ferarri 360 Spider ???

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
I have 4 cars ..... 1 has Michelin, 2 have Bridgestones and 1 runs VictoRacer V700's
Old 06-28-2004, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Luke

Took your advice, and ordered a set of Goodyear F1 (via the web, but got your name as sale rep).

Too bad they're back order til mid July. Hopefully I'll get them by 07/17 to qualify for the $75 rebate

Thanks for your helps

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack