Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

What determines bolt length??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' C230K Sport
What determines bolt length??

What determines lug bolt lengths??

I have new rims and the bolts sent go in and I get a rub / grinding sound from the lugs being too long and rubbing the inner hub.

I have been trimming the bolt one MM at a time to get the right length. I have done this three times now , it is getting better but I think this whole bolt length specifics is a crock of krap... I had to trim the bolts on my last set that was recommended as well.

These rims I have now have a 37mm offset, so what size bolts do I really need for my 04' w203? (coned)

I will be putting a 5mm spacer in the rear so then what??

Does anyone have a clear and scientific way of explaining this as I think we are all held hostage by this bolt length fallacy..

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:09 PM

C32AMG
Here's the easy way...

Remove one of your stock wheels,and then insert one of the correct stock lug bolts all the way into the wheel.Measure how far the lug bolt protrudes beyond the wheel's back face.

Your new wheel/lug bolt combination should be very close to this distance.If not,buy new ones that give the proper protrusion length.

Too long= parking brake damage,or worse!.
Too short= potential lack of adequate thread engagement,which can result in thread damage and/or the wheel coming off while driving.

Wheel offset has nothing to do with the wheel bolt length...it's simply that the part of the wheel that the bolt passes through may not be the same from one wheel type to another;changing the length of the bolts is the way to compensate for this.
Grinding/cutting/shortening the bolts to fit is not the way to do this...get new bolts...If you shorten the stock bolts enough to work with the aftermarket wheels,what are you going to use if you have to re-mount the OEM wheels?.

Last edited by Steve Clark; 07-02-2004 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Minor addendum
Old 07-02-2004, 04:55 PM

04' C230K Sport
agreed

I agree Steve.. THanks for your help!

Please note my situation specifics:

I have a stock set of bolts
I have a longer set for my 15mm spacers.
I have a new chrome set that came with my NEW wheels.

I have a MACHINE shop at my work, as we are a manufacturing facility, with $2M of precision equipment and skilled persons behind the wheel. I think they putting my bolts on a lathe and taking it down a MM at a time would be ok, no?

Old 07-10-2004, 04:25 PM

Different Size Lug Bolts

Great, I'm looking for some info on this exact topic.

I am looking to mount 18" AMG wheels from an R230 body style to my R129. Apparently I need different sized lug bolts to do this.

Can anyone help me with what size I currently have and what size I need? I have stock 16" wheels on my 1998 SL500 now and the ones I am putting on are from a 2003.

From my searching, the best I can find out is that the 18" style for the R129 have an offset for the front of +25 and for the rear +23. For the R230 style I will be trying to mount it is a front of +30 and a rear of +33. Everything else looks the same as far as I can find.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 07-10-2004, 07:10 PM

04' C230K Sport
well

OI found out that off set does not mean anything to the bolts lengthe unless the offset calls for a need of spacers.. If you need spacers, then of course the bolts length need to be increased by the size of the spacers..

I found that measuring is the way to go..

measure the thickness of your rim hub thickness then measure a nice chunk to go into your hub.

Thats it..
Old 07-16-2004, 08:15 AM
JAM

SL600
[QUOTE=Canis-D]Great, I'm looking for some info on this exact topic.

I am looking to mount 18" AMG wheels from an R230 body style to my R129. Apparently I need different sized lug bolts to do this.

Cannis D --> I just purchased R230 SL55 (MY2003) wheels for my 1997 R129 (SL600). I purchased new bolts, but when driving I hear a click, click, click, sound coming from the rear tires. It appears that the wheels may need offset. I inspected the new bolots and verified that they were not hitting anything, but the tire may be coming into contact with the plastic flashing under the wheel wells. I don't think the front wheels are hitting anything, but I am considering adding 10mm spacers in the back and 5-8mm spacers in the front.

Since you are about to get into the same modification that I am performing, I am wondering if you have heard of any need for spacers on your R129.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:34 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
230 - 129 .... Man This Has Been Beaten To Death

129 lugs

12mm diameter
12mm radius ball seat

230 lugs
14mm diameter
14mm radius ball seat

they do not fit properly !!!
Old 07-16-2004, 12:26 PM
JAM

SL600
So Luke, if using R230 rims on an R129, why not just use R230 bolts that are the proper lenght to go into the R129 hubs (so they don;t hit the parking brake apparatus)? I understand that the bolt diameter and seat are difrerent (14/12). Is the thread different as well? Or, wy not add spacers (8mm & 10mm) to correct for offset and use the R230 bolts in the R230 wheels on an R129?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:50 AM

I got rid of my R230 Wheels

It just didn't seem completely safe to use the 12mm lug bolts with the R230 wheels, which are supposed to take the 14mm lug bolts, so I got rid of them and am supposed to be receiving some 18" AMG 5 spoke wheels for the R129.

Does anyone know if my normal stock lugs from my 16" wheels will work with these or if I'll still need new lug bolts? If I need new ones, now what size do I need.... 12mm 1.5 but what length, etc.?

Thanks,

Doug