Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Luke I need your help making a descion on rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luke I need your help making a descion on rims

Hi Luke, I need some help. I have an 05 C230 SS and wanted to buy some new rims from the Tirerack web site. I have 2 questions though before I make my descion.

1) I am considering the ASA ST2 in chrome 18inch however when I chose my car on the web site I don't see those rims as an option. When I chose a C320 base then I get the option for these rims. Will those rims fit on my C230 SS or because its a sport model they wont fit. If they do fit why is it not an option when the C230 is chosen?

2) The ASA ST2 is like a replica of the AMG MONOBLOCK II. I know in an earlier post you said the ASA is good company. Is there really much of a difference between the 2 considering the ASA is manufactured in Korea?

Thanks in advance for your help. I also welcome any comments from anyone else with these rims.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:12 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
the 05 C230 SS has larger brakes which cause more interference with wheel fitment so, they will not work without a spacer .... that's why you wont see them listed but, that could very well change come spring time (wink, wink) ... ASA is a good company and in reality make a very good wheel
Old 11-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Banned

Thanks for the advise Luke. I have another question now. I did it the right way and this time I chose my car 230 ss on the web site. It came up with the AMG 5-spoke 203 17inch wheels as one of the options. I didnt see it in chrome. Do you guys have these wheels in chrome? If not would you guys chrome plate them? How much would it cost?

Thanks for your help

P.S. if you guys dont have these rims in chrome, any idea where I can buy them from?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Banned

luke, any info about my second question above?

thanks
Old 12-02-2004, 01:02 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
AMG wheels castings are so porous that you can not get a good chrome finish on them .... they just aren't smooth enough
Old 12-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Banned

Hey Luke, thanks but I am not sure why you said what you said. I actually had AMG Monoblock II in chrome. I had them for 3 years. The best rims I ever had. The chrome never went way nor chipped off. So I am not sure I follow your comment. Either way, can Tirerack get the AMG rims of my choice chromed or not?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 09:19 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
about 1.5 years ago AMG changed the manufacturer they use to make their wheels and the new ones can not be chromed because of the casting issues I previously mentioned ....
Old 12-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Banned

Thats interesting and it sucks at the same time. Well, I guess ASA it is in. I cant wait till ASA makes the type of rims I want to fit the SS. Thanks