E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Turbo Hood Mod ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by mgw_300e
get a hood from a scrap yard, install the vent in it, and if you like it, paint it to match the car. if you don't like it, all you're out is the cost of a scrap yard hood.
My thought exactly !!!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
I don't think rain would be that big of an issue, and if it did become a problem with steam being created at a stop light or something, you could have a simple panel affixed just below the vents to channel the water while still letting the heat escape.

Get er dun
Probably won't see the rain unless I get caught in it !!!

Oddly enough the car hasn't been garaged for many, many years....it was the "red headed step sister" to other stuff.

Now it's my favorite driver and will have it's own place in the garage come winter

I'll install a fine wire mesh beneath any venting I do....mainly to keep leaves, dirt, critters out....should also almost "atomize" any water that hits it when hot.....excluding a heavy down pour or direct stream of water....

Think of the aerodynamics when your driving, how rain moves rapidly across the surface of the hood and up the windshield.

I actually like your idea of using the wiper pumps !!!
ERL in the U.K. is big with their Aquamist water Injection....carry over from WWII fighters
Old 08-02-2007, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 S14
If you pay shipping, I may donate my old hood to see what it would look like.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:15 PM

1985 W124 200D
Just to give an idea:
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Hood Mod ????-tth2.jpg  
Old 08-02-2007, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
okay, I will modify my previous disenting opinion.

Those Mosselman cars are sweet. I think some of the appeal of the hood vents on that car is the fact that it looks like a race machine. Body kit, powdercoated rims... decals, the works.

Your car is just too clean... it's an everyday driver.

But if you do this, can I suggest a few things? maybe make them smaller. I don't know if that means you'd have to get something fabricated or what. Also add more slats and make them smaller as well.

The other thing is the angle... if you follow the OEM line/ridge down the hood to the grille, and see the angle of the grille vs. what the angle of the vent would be, they contrast in such a way that they won't flow.

But I've definitely come around a bit on this
Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Probably won't see the rain unless I get caught in it !!!

I actually like your idea of using the wiper pumps !!!
ERL in the U.K. is big with their Aquamist water Injection....carry over from WWII fighters
I too was thinking about the water injection when I was making that comment, but I figured since it is heated water, it might not work too well for aquamist-like system.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Id say do it. Why not?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mouramen
Just to give an idea:
Thank you...great work !!

What I notice first is that I need to reverse it so the louvers slant inwards if I use this set.

There is a set of Pontiac Trans Am vents fairly cheap on EBAY...a bit smaller and the louvers run front to back, more like the Mosselman...

This is trial and error in finding something that will work....
Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Slow Mercedes
You car looks amazing already,Just please do both sides so it look uniform..
Because of the location of my Turbo the 300D diesel fender will work perfectly,But I need to spend a lot of time to make the driver side fender the same as I want a uniform look....But that is way down the line,I still have not been able to find the time to put it back on the dyno for final settings.

Do it--you car no longer is a stock car, and at this point you likely could care less about selling it at some point...

on a side note I finally realize why you are so impressed with H&R springs and sport bils...I have a silver coupe here that has just that suspension with shortest springs pads with 18x8 inch wheels all around and it travels the road just as smoothly as a stock suspension car and corners at least twice as good as my cab,so H&R are in my future maybe...

yeah I know the background is dirty as heck,but pay attention to the car...
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Hood Mod ????-ebay-sales-067.jpg   Turbo Hood Mod ????-ebay-sales-068.jpg  
Old 08-03-2007, 03:39 PM

2008 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by CoastLine
Because of the location of my Turbo the 300D diesel fender will work perfectly,But I need to spend a lot of time to make the driver side fender the same as I want a uniform look....But that is way down the line,I still have not been able to find the time to put it back on the dyno for final settings.
Oh my... That thing is so damn sexy :/. Liking the Louis interior .

Topic: RB, I think the vent would take some of the car's class away but I don't think your going towards to total hardcore luxury look anyways right? If steering towards the tuner/performance category the vent will look just fine imo
Old 08-03-2007, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CoastLine
Definitely will do both sides..........as I previously posted it's trial and error.
Parts cheap enough on EBAY, but difficult at times to get dimensions.
The Z34 Lumina's might require too much sheet metal work, looking for something that will "pop in" to a hole and sit fairly flush.

Leaning now toward a 78 280ZX set which are rectangular and appear to be an easier install.

Would prefer a metal type so if need be it can be tacked in !

Do it--you car no longer is a stock car, and at this point you likely could care less about selling it at some point...
You, more then most, understand that any engine mod be it AMG. RennTech, Mosselman, TurboTechnics, etc.........makes what was once a stock vehicle a tuner car !!
I'm trying to stay with body mods of the period and the heat extractors will help the performance.
If you recall even some of the AMG's had some "ricer" looking body kits...not to mention the EVO 190"s.
Probably won't ever sell it, but if I do, the fact that I'm attempting to maintain "provenace" will help in the valuation !

on a side note I finally realize why you are so impressed with H&R springs and sport bils...I have a silver coupe here that has just that suspension with shortest springs pads with 18x8 inch wheels all around and it travels the road just as smoothly as a stock suspension car and corners at least twice as good as my cab,so H&R are in my future maybe...

yeah I know the background is dirty as heck,but pay attention to the car...
I like the results with the H&R's and Bilstein HD's....
Not just incredible handling, but the ride quality with 18" Falken FK-452's is better then what I remember when it was brand new.
Firm, not jarring, and lays down when you push it in cornering...
No real front end lift on acceleration, keeps a great balance.
I'm not building a "how low can you go, drive slow, won't handle" machine...looking for optimum performance in using the chassis that MB provided !!!

Old 08-03-2007, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JDW124
Topic: RB, I think the vent would take some of the car's class away but I don't think your going towards to total hardcore luxury look anyways right? If steering towards the tuner/performance category the vent will look just fine imo

I crossed the line with the twin turbo install.
Remember the TT kits were designed for the U.K. market where you rarely see 90+ degree temps.
Mosselman used a top mounted intercooler and that's the reason for the twin extractors on the Silver Arrows.
They even recommended opening the hood after you run hard to dissipate heat.

I'll quote from an article in the September 2006 Mercedes Enthusiast Mag from the U.K.

"There are stainless steel heat shields on each turbo but there is no doubt that under bonnet temperatures are far higher than on the standard car. The black paint finish on the cam cover is usually very durable, but most of this car's has flaked off due to the heat "

The article was on Martin Traynor's TurboTechnics M103-12V sedan with 167K+ miles on it. ( The latest issue features his W124 Hammer which is the only RHD example left in existence ).

Heat can do long term damage to anything under the hood.
The W124's have a pan under the engine and with the hood closed you are capturing everything the turbo puts out.

Fortunately my cooling system has been well maintained since new, so even in high summer temps I rarely see 90C engine temp and yet to have the aux electric fan come on !!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Originally Posted by RBYCC
I rarely see 90C engine temp and yet to have the aux electric fan come on !!
must be broken

j/k
Old 08-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MS paint and boredom combine to make....
Old 08-04-2007, 05:49 PM

W124
I'm really not sold on the vent idea so here's a couple of options off the top of my head.

Would removing the engine undertray help airflow when stationary or moving slowly? Is its purpose to reduce noise or improve aerodynamics at speed?

I wonder if you could rig up a switch inside the cabin to switch on the aux fans when in traffic even when the engine is not too hot to keep air flowing in the engine bay? Maybe even have them on a timer so they keep going for a while after you park up?
Old 08-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Range Rover Classic
In the absence of the underbody shield water can splash up and cause a belt to slip. In the snow regions you also need to worry about salt and other road treatments getting into the engine bay.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Max Hughes
MS paint and boredom combine to make....
Appreciate time spent to alleviate your "boredom" !!!
Much better orientation
Old 08-05-2007, 01:45 PM

1988 300E
Absolutely loved the idea from the very beginning !! Now with the photoshop done to it, it looks soo good !!

Honestly, yeah it might not look as classy, but who cars !! Its time to be different and you are doing it because you need to !! Dissipating tubro heat is serious business and I say two thumbs up and then some more.

Yeah two hood vents would look perfect !!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Hey boys, sorry been off for a week and just getting caught up. If your thinking about going for heat extraction then how about this? You should be able to do something similar to the w124 hood.
Sorry I don't have any better angles.

Last edited by joef; 01-10-2011 at 09:56 PM.