E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Thoughts on 2014 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Thoughts on 2014 E350

I traded in my 2007 S550 on a 2014 E350 last week and I wanted to share my thoughts:

1. I absolutely love the LED headlamps – so much better than the HID in the S class
2. The HK stereo in this car blows away the HK in the S – huge difference
3. The MB apps is incredibly slow – has some nice functionality but takes forever to load
4. I can’t believe what a huge difference between the S and C settings – it’s like a whole different car
5. Still getting used to the ECO function - I love the brake hold feature !

I was worried I would miss the S class but so far I am very happy with my choice. I do miss the V8 sometimes, but I found switching to S makes a huge difference.

Nick
Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 644 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
I am sure you will enjoy your e350. I know I enjoy mine
Old 01-22-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
E350 is a good car and I am sure you are going to like it.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I'm with you 100% -- the 2014/2015 E Class is an all-around great car. I also agree with your points as well. I find your comparison interesting as my father has a 2011 (or 2012?) S550 and we were comparing notes at Christmas. Overall consensus: We both preferred my 2015 E.

Do you have the full LED headlamps or just the LED low beams? I have the full ones and have been amazed and amused as they sweep left/right/up/down as I'm driving. They actually move in anticipation of turns, which is something NONE of the other auto manufacturers do. The others rely upon steering wheel input. I'm still trying to figure out how to get them switched over to the true Euro lamps which don't have true low/high beams. I know the headlamps themselves can do it -- I see them do it when I manually force it between high beam & low beam, so it's just a software setting somewhere.

I completely agree on the HK stereo as well. After the first 20 hours of breaking it in, the sound is excellent. And I say that being an audio engineer, having spent most of my life around recording studios, broadcast stations, and live music events. Even at my homes I have Bowers & Wilkins speakers of varying quality, right up to the 803 Nautilus Diamond at my primary home. My father has the $10k Bang & Olufsen stereo in his S and I actually prefer the sound on the HK. Nice detailed midrange, well-balanced sound, tight bass. I particularly like that the EQ is relatively flat on the system. Minimal exaggeration of bass. If there isn't bass in the recording, you're not going to get any out of the system. However, throw something on with true bass (ie: pipe organ) and the system comes alive. The system's accuracy actually hurts performance in some areas -- satellite radio sounds horrid, but that's not the stereo's fault. It's just that detailed.

MB apps -- I'm still trying to get these to work reliably. Multiple calls to tech support and it's still hit-or-miss, mostly miss. Definitely NOT renewing. Might keep regular mbrace for the Lojack + remote unlocking thing.

I'm coming from a 2004 M45 which had a nice 350HP V8 in it. I also had silencers put on the car, so it was generally buttery-smooth when running. I'm not a fan of the clickety-clack sound of the E350 engine, especially at idle. Sounds like a diesel to me. With the M45, once the engine was at operating temperature, at idle you could stand outside the car and it was barely audible. I do notice the missing 48 HP, but the E350's torque has generally been sufficient. I'll have to play with the E/S switch. I was holding off on using it since the car only had 8 miles on it when I took delivery and I wanted to give the engine a proper breaking-in.

I need to do a proper write-up on my car on the forum. Since I picked it up, I've spent more time driving than being online. Unfortunately, the car has unintentionally become quite a looker. I was hoping the way I outfitted it would have made it a little less conspicuous, but instead it stands out and draws quite a bit of attention. I've even had people ask me about it at gas stations and red lights. I even had a woman ask me about it at the dealership wondering which model it was. The dealership almost lost a sale b/c she wanted one like mine rather than a standard stock E. Much to the salesman's relief she wasn't willing to wait 8-12 weeks for one to be built and took the E she was buying.

Enjoy the E! I know I am!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
congrats!!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
I agree the LED headlights are awesome. I didnt get the lighting package because I bought an "executive car" with 5000 miles on it and had to take what was available. My previous 2010 E 350 had the bi-xenon lighting package and the new led lights are better but I do miss the moving lights and auto high beams. I can't imagine why someone would order a p1 car with blind spot and Lane assist and not put the full lighting package on it too.

As for the Eco feature, I was looking forward to having that but it hardly ever works for me. I guess it's something about the way I drive.

One thing you didn't mention that you may notice is improved gas mileage. I average around 25 in mixed driving and trips on the highway are in the low 30's.

I'm sure you will enjoy it, I love mine!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:18 PM

ECO not running might be more a function of how you run your air conditioning rather than driving style.

For kicks: Set the AC to Auto, set it to a reasonable temperature, then turn OFF the AC compressor (AC button). See if it does it then. Temperature and humidity seem to be the biggest reason why ECO doesn't engage on my car. If I set the temperature way low and drop the blower down to 1 ECO never engages. I'm in Florida, YMMV.

Oh, and don't forget seatbelt... ECO will never engage if seat belts aren't buckled. This one I'm not a fan of. I wear my seat belt 100% of the time, but sometimes ECO will shut the engine off when I park the car, which I think is great. I then unbuckle my seat belt before I turn off the car and the engine comes back to life. I'm slowly learning to turn the car off first.

Other tip the dealer gave me: Easiest way to know if the car is on or not is to look at the AC panel. If the AC displays are on, the car's on, if the AC's off, car's off. Sometimes it's tough to tell with Keyless Go and ECO and the radio running after the car is turned off.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:11 PM

E350 4matic
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
ECO not running might be more a function of how you run your air conditioning rather than driving style.

For kicks: Set the AC to Auto, set it to a reasonable temperature, then turn OFF the AC compressor (AC button). See if it does it then. Temperature and humidity seem to be the biggest reason why ECO doesn't engage on my car. If I set the temperature way low and drop the blower down to 1 ECO never engages. I'm in Florida, YMMV.

Oh, and don't forget seatbelt... ECO will never engage if seat belts aren't buckled. This one I'm not a fan of. I wear my seat belt 100% of the time, but sometimes ECO will shut the engine off when I park the car, which I think is great. I then unbuckle my seat belt before I turn off the car and the engine comes back to life. I'm slowly learning to turn the car off first.

Other tip the dealer gave me: Easiest way to know if the car is on or not is to look at the AC panel. If the AC displays are on, the car's on, if the AC's off, car's off. Sometimes it's tough to tell with Keyless Go and ECO and the radio running after the car is turned off.
Thanks for the tips! I'm in the land of the deflated footballs so the heat is running pretty constantly along with the heated seats. As far as seat belts are concerned the car never moves until all occupants are properly buckled.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:48 AM

Keep in mind the car will still run the AC compressor if humidity's high. Give it a try and see what happens. I'm generally seeing ECO engage every time after the car's been on for 5 or so minutes.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:18 AM

2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
BeachBunny,

The AC panel is not a good indicator here in Chicago. After reading your post I kept an eye on it on my way home yesterday, no change when the car turned off at stoplights ( AC is still on even when the heat is on - no change in the display ). I usually just look to see if the RPM's are zero.

Nick
Old 01-23-2015, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by NickCats
...I usually just look to see if the RPM's are zero.
Nick
That's how I can quickly tell.
Also, I keep my AC on auto all the time and the ECO doesn't always engage but probably 50% of the time or greater.

Last edited by noka; 01-23-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM

NickCats: I meant the AC panel is a good way to tell if the ignition's turned on or not. Even if you turn the car off, all of the cabin features still run until you open the driver's door, making it even more difficult to tell the difference.

Many times when I park ECO kicks in and shuts off the engine. If I'm not paying attention, I'll see the engine at 0 RPMs and assume the car's turned off. Then when I undo my seatbelt the engine roars back to life. This is the situation where my dealer had indicated looking at the AC display was useful.

Re: getting ECO to engage more often, my experience still is that it will go off and stay off longer if the AC compressor is turned off. From what I've seen, the engine only stays off for 2-3 minutes if the AC compressor is engaged, but will stay off for at least 5 minutes with the AC compressor disabled. We've had quite a few mild days lately where the temps didn't get out of the 60s. Perfect for experimenting.

I'm not sure if Merc would consider putting in an electric compressor in. It'd eliminate the need to run the engine to drive the compressor, BUT there would be some serious inefficiencies and would need a larger, heavier battery.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
...Many times when I park ECO kicks in and shuts off the engine. If I'm not paying attention, I'll see the engine at 0 RPMs and assume the car's turned off. Then when I undo my seatbelt the engine roars back to life.
I just trained myself to hit the dash button to disable ECO when pulling into my garage or otherwise parking.

I'm not sure if Merc would consider putting in an electric compressor in. It'd eliminate the need to run the engine to drive the compressor, BUT there would be some serious inefficiencies and would need a larger, heavier battery.
Probably need a complete electrical system redesign to meet demands of today's cars (e.g. higher capacity and perhaps higher voltage).
Old 01-23-2015, 11:27 AM

2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Thanks for the clarification BeachBunny, I appreciate it.

Tell me I'm crazy, but when I was test driving I could swear when you started the car a nice graphic of the front of the E class came up on the display. All is see with mine is "don't forget your key" - is this because I have keyless go ?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 01-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Noka: I actually like the engine shutting off like that when I come to a complete stop and put the car in Park... I just dislike the engine coming back to life when I've parked and take my seatbelt off. I just look over at the AC panel these days. If I see the temperatures displayed, I know to turn off the car.

NickCats: You're not wrong as I've seen that same graphic...but the question is when and where. I believe I saw it at the dealership as well. Given this, I suspect that graphic will show if the car DOES NOT detect the key nearby. I'm at work now but I'll give it a try later on tonight. I think that should prevent the Don't Forget Your Key message from displaying.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
NickCats: I meant the AC panel is a good way to tell if the ignition's turned on or not. Even if you turn the car off, all of the cabin features still run until you open the driver's door, making it even more difficult to tell the difference.
Many times when I park ECO kicks in and shuts off the engine. If I'm not paying attention, I'll see the engine at 0 RPMs and assume the car's turned off. Then when I undo my seatbelt the engine roars back to life. This is the situation where my dealer had indicated looking at the AC display was useful.
Yes, I have experienced several times the scenario which you mentioned. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:33 PM

E350 4matic
Originally Posted by NickCats
Thanks for the clarification BeachBunny, I appreciate it.

Tell me I'm crazy, but when I was test driving I could swear when you started the car a nice graphic of the front of the E class came up on the display. All is see with mine is "don't forget your key" - is this because I have keyless go ?

Thanks,

Nick
No you aren't crazy. First you get don't forget your key, then you get the display of the car when you start it. I have keyless go too. It might be a setting in command though, I don't remember. I just know that it does it on my car.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 AM

I had it display the car pic today... got in the car, closed to door, waited for awhile...I think the display might have gone off, then I tried starting it..and it displayed it.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
i see the car picture everytime.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Thumbs up Fair price?

Glad to know that the temperature running high is normal.

looking @ 2014 e350, p1, sports pkg, heated seats, sunroof, 27k miles, 2 more yrs of warranty left. Asking $35k, a reputed but non-Mercedes dealer. Fair?

Also would appreciate if any info re: being able to buy prepaid maintenance?