GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
I do not know if this has anything to do with this but the X204 GLK and W204 c class 4 Matic were not available in RHD due to engineering issues with the driveshaft to the front wheels. The GLC RHD 4 matic is new engineering and it would not surprise me if it was different from LHD 4 matic.
And not just that, Mercedes does have previous in messing up RHD conversions. It was the S class in first half of 2000 previously.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Very informative, Delongj.
I have just over 5,000KM on my GLC43 and I don't have this problem (yet).
I have 20 inches(3 seasons) run flat tires on mine.
I will keep an eye on it and will bring to the dealer's attention if it ever occur.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:01 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by ble2716
Very informative, Delongj.
I have just over 5,000KM on my GLC43 and I don't have this problem (yet).
I have 20 inches(3 seasons) run flat tires on mine.
I will keep an eye on it and will bring to the dealer's attention if it ever occur.
As you are based in CANADA I assume you have a left hand drive vehicle haven't you. Either that, or the all season tyres. It is something that Mercedes UK tells us we need to use on this vehicle. To quote my mother in law loosely; are they mad, winter tyres in the south of England. It is rather mild here
Old 01-09-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by dejongj
As you are based in CANADA I assume you have a left hand drive vehicle haven't you. Either that, or the all season tyres. It is something that Mercedes UK tells us we need to use on this vehicle. To quote my mother in law loosely; are they mad, winter tyres in the south of England. It is rather mild here
Yes, I am in Canada and it is left hand drive vehicle.
The tires are Good Years RFT all seasons (so they called).
I am looking to get a dedicated set of winter tires.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC
Perhaps your mother in law could represent all us disgruntled GLC owners?
Old 01-09-2017, 02:05 PM

right to be forgotten
LOL If only - It is a weird notion that Winter Tyres are mandatory by Mercedes standard on their GLC model isn't it?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
LOL If only - It is a weird notion that Winter Tyres are mandatory by Mercedes standard on their GLC model isn't it?
To me (and I said this to them) that means that during the winter, they are actually supplying a car that doesn't have their own recommended appropriate tyres fitted for that season. I will not be proceeding with my order until this issue is sorted to my satisfaction.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Originally Posted by Matteus GLC AMG
To me (and I said this to them) that means that during the winter, they are actually supplying a car that doesn't have their own recommended appropriate tyres fitted for that season. I will not be proceeding with my order until this issue is sorted to my satisfaction.
As I said before, if I were buying the car now, I would be putting my order on hold...
Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 AM

right to be forgotten
Total waste of time today was, they didn't want to test drive as they could guess what it would be doing. Yet the 'inspection' concluded it is normal. And amazingly they had a personalised letter ready for me from Mercedes Benz UK. They say it this matter is a comfort issue. Great they recognise it is an issue, but ahem they won't do anything about it.

For anyone not yet order this car in RHD. I would seriously just forget about it and looks elsewhere. This is just ridiculous.

Link to new video

And the letter I received is attached.
Attached Thumbnails Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-20170112-mb-uk-letter-redacted-.jpeg  
Old 01-12-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
Thanks for posting JP - much appreciated. Very sorry about your car and MB's response. Absolutely pathetic in my view, and MB will soon run into trouble if this is how it deals with what I would consider to be a definite fault which needs rectification.

Did they actually check the wheel alignment? Doesn't look like it to me!

I will not be proceeding with my purchase based on your experience, and am very disappointed that it's come to this. The Car really did have everything I wanted so I'm completely gutted!
Old 01-12-2017, 11:16 AM

right to be forgotten
No they didn't check alignment, no tracking, nothing really. Very disappointing and a total waste of my time.

I'm sad as well as it is otherwise a lovely car, and now I've got the hassle of getting legal with them to get rid of it. Just absolutely ridiculous that they think it is normal. The guy in service refused to answer the question whether he think it is normal, and whether he was running his car on winter tyres. Just pathetic.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Dejongj, just a thought but when I ordered my car in December I was told that if I wanted 20 inch or 21 inch wheels it would put delivery back about 10 weeks.
I know it also happens with 19 inch but do you think it has anything to do with the issue.
It also appears through reading the forum that not everyone has the issue, surely that would rule out a design fault and point to something being wrong on the cars with the issue.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Wouldn't it be easy to change the wheels for 18s and see if it eases the problem?
Old 01-12-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC220D Exclusive

+1...

Last edited by GLC220Exclusive; 01-12-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:19 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by decorily
Wouldn't it be easy to change the wheels for 18s and see if it eases the problem?
Only if one has those wheels But according to Mercedes it isn't the size of the wheels, all of them do it.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Dejonj, did you see my post above, wonder why they have stopped fitting 20 inch and 21 inch wheels?.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:04 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Philamg
Dejonj, did you see my post above, wonder why they have stopped fitting 20 inch and 21 inch wheels?.
I did, I think it is just supply chain. I mean people have these issues reported whilst on 18" wheels/tyres as well.

I really just want Mercedes Benz UK to take this seriously and don't just ignore it like normal. Nobody who has been in my car or seen the video who didn't think it is absolutely awful. And there are many of us. It is just the arrogance of Mercedes Benz UK to totally ignore it.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Agree fully with you after watching the video but can't believe they can't get 20 inch or 21 inch for 3 months as a supply issue, must be something else behind it.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:29 AM

right to be forgotten
Well Mercedes and their dealers are putting their boxing gloves on;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/mis...rabbing-issue/

If you are unhappy with your GLC and suffer from this issue. Please make yourself known in the comments as we have no option but to go down the class action road. I mean if they are ignoring the Ombudsman and refuse to do anything about this we stand no chance going at this alone.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Well Mercedes and their dealers are putting their boxing gloves on;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/mis...rabbing-issue/

If you are unhappy with your GLC and suffer from this issue. Please make yourself known in the comments as we have no option but to go down the class action road. I mean if they are ignoring the Ombudsman and refuse to do anything about this we stand no chance going at this alone.
Worrying for me with a car on order for March, will be having a talk with the dealer. Cannot believe that they are taking on the Ombudsman, their reputation could be seriously damaged by this.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:02 AM

right to be forgotten
Worrying for me with a car on order for March, will be having a talk with the dealer. Cannot believe that they are taking on the Ombudsman, their reputation could be seriously damaged by this.
Honestly Phil, I would seriously get out of it. I'm not normally a person to recommend that, I have a positive outlook, understand that issues can happen and have faith that they get resolved.

But this, Mercedes UK and their dealer network put on such an display of arrogance that they aren't even looking at the problem. I've already seen reports from people who have a year old car and believed the dealer that it is normal on 4x4 vehicles to have this. I guess that if you have never had one before you could believe them.

It will be a world of pain to get out of it, just don't get one.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63 S Coupe
Dejongj could you have an independent mechanic check your car & possibly do a professional 4 wheel alignment on it?
Yes it will cost you, but if it fixes or greatly improves the car might be worth a try?
Sorry you are experiencing this with your GLC43, especially seeing how you were so happy with the car initially until this issue arose.
At what kms/miles did you really start noticing it?
Mine has done 1300kms with no signs of this issue, touch wood....
Old 01-13-2017, 09:52 AM

right to be forgotten
Agree fully with you after watching the video but can't believe they can't get 20 inch or 21 inch for 3 months as a supply issue, must be something else behind it.
I think they were caught out by home many people upgraded to the 20" and 21" wheels. At first I wasn't going to do that but the car looks so good with them. Diesels in AMG kit with the 20" multi spokes look fantastic, and the 43 AMG with 21" is the only right option in my opinion.

Perhaps if they had more photos of the standard wheels and better looking standard wheels opposed to the same old 5 year old design then more would have been content with the standard option.

All pure speculation on my behalf

Originally Posted by JustinS
Dejongj could you have an independent mechanic check your car & possibly do a professional 4 wheel alignment on it?
Yes it will cost you, but if it fixes or greatly improves the car might be worth a try?
Sorry you are experiencing this with your GLC43, especially seeing how you were so happy with the car initially until this issue arose.
At what kms/miles did you really start noticing it?
Mine has done 1300kms with no signs of this issue, touch wood....
I will note do anything to it myself, don't want to provide any way out to say it is my fault. I've tried it in a nice way and approach it in partnership as a long standing client. But they aren't responsive to that and arrogantly just ignore it. Next step for me is to issue with a formal complaint inline with the motoring ombudsman procedure. That will give them a maximum of 8 weeks address the complaints. Then I've been seen to give them every opportunity and we can reassess next steps there after.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
The rejection of the ombudsman decision is outrageous.
I also don't like the attempt to conflate and confuse the issue with the advice on winter tyres which is grip related and has nothing to do with this other than the a similar general (but far from identical) relationship with lower temperatures. Unlike the grip advice, we have absolutely no evidence that 7 degrees and below is the right metric which the letter implies.
The crabbing which seems to involve a folding of the tyres, which they are not designed for, would, in my view, constitute a safety issue.
I chose 19s which I happen to like the look of but it was very clear to me when ordering that Mercedes were pushing the 21s hard. I struggled to find many pictures of 19s and I have to say the 21s look good and the option price to upgrade was modest.
The following users liked this post:
dejongj (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Decided to stick with order Dejongj , been in touch with dealer and sent them a copy of your video and Honest John report and they said if I had the issue they would look favourably on what I wanted to do, decided to trust them.

Regarding better 19 inch wheels I have ordered the night package and it comes with the inside of the wheels black on the 43, doesn't say this in the literature but they showed me a set of the wheels and they looked really good, will post photos when I get the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock