GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 250d 4 magic sport
Problem of "Crabbing" GLC 250d

I've got exactly the same problem. My car on full steering lock creates a very loud clunking/ clonking sound and associated juddering and jumping of the vehicle. I have been told my Mercedes UK to put winter tyres on but the problems occurs at all temperatures. I am sure that my car has a design fault .Please can anyone advise me
Old 01-13-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 250 AMG Line
Exclamation Tyre Judder & Crabbing > FULL REFUND!!

I had serious tyre juddering and crabbing on my GLC250 AMG.

I told Mercedes it was a safety issue and gave them the chance to look at the car. After a week they wrote and told me it was a 'comfort issue' and not one of safety! I knew they'd come back with some nonsense like that but I thought I'd give them the chance.

I contest that a car going in a forward direction with the steering wheel turned is an issue of safety and so is scrubbing the front near side tyre with only 7,000 on the clock. Notwithstanding I didn't pay all of that money for a comfortable drive only to have an uncomfortable one!

Either way that car was going back and it did. Mercedes bought it back off of me. They knew it was far better doing it that way than debate it in a busy showroom on a Saturday morning.

I don't understand why everyone on here doesn't get more forceful with their dealer and insist on a refund? Stop asking if 'anyone else got a problem....' etc. There is a problem, it's not going away > get your money back people.
The following users liked this post:
gpaspj (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Lots been written re this, especially re the fact that RHD versions seem to only be affected.

Could the following be a contributing factor ?

Hi we have a 250d.
From reading it appears the 4Matic system is permanent AWD, all time AWD, through multiclutch centre differential.

There is a torque split for 250d of 69% rear and 31% front.
Petrol version is 50% even split in Oz and possibly in U.K. as well for RHD versions?

This may also contribute to tyre shudder, juddering for RHD versions when turning slow on full lock.

I understand in USA torque split is 45% front and 55% rear.

Just a thought !
Old 01-14-2017, 01:44 AM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63 S Coupe
I believe the spilt is 31 69 for the AMG.

"The performance-oriented all-wheel drive developed by Mercedes-AMG combines optimum traction, hallmark AMG driving dynamics and maximum driving pleasure. This is ensured by the clear torque distribution to the rear. Unlike in the standard model, Mercedes-AMG distributes the engine torque in a ratio of 31% to the front axle and 69% to the rear axle. In addition, AMG 4MATIC all-wheel drive increases driving safety and traction on wet or wintry road surfaces.
A multiple-disc clutch with 50 Nm blocking effect guarantees full realization of the road adhesion potential of all four wheels, especially on snow or ice. This basic concept enables high-traction values because it uses the dynamic axle load shift toward to the rear axle, which occurs during acceleration, for adding additional drive torque to the rear. In addition to traction and transverse dynamics, the all-wheel drive also improves the longitudinal dynamics of the vehicle for even more dynamic acceleration."
Old 01-14-2017, 03:45 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Moneyback
I had serious tyre juddering and crabbing on my GLC250 AMG.

I told Mercedes it was a safety issue and gave them the chance to look at the car. After a week they wrote and told me it was a 'comfort issue' and not one of safety! I knew they'd come back with some nonsense like that but I thought I'd give them the chance.

I contest that a car going in a forward direction with the steering wheel turned is an issue of safety and so is scrubbing the front near side tyre with only 7,000 on the clock. Notwithstanding I didn't pay all of that money for a comfortable drive only to have an uncomfortable one!

Either way that car was going back and it did. Mercedes bought it back off of me. They knew it was far better doing it that way than debate it in a busy showroom on a Saturday morning.

I don't understand why everyone on here doesn't get more forceful with their dealer and insist on a refund? Stop asking if 'anyone else got a problem....' etc. There is a problem, it's not going away > get your money back people.
Consider yourself lucky and read this;
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/mis...rabbing-issue/

Then try again and insinuate that others aren't forceful about this and just complain on a forum. Far from it pal. You can't force someone to buy it back and get the money in your account, they even refuse it with an Ombudsman ruling. I'm really happy to learn your dealer was willing to do that, but please wind your neck in slinging accusations to others.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL500, GLC300
it isn't only on the RHD vehicles, though the RHD ones seem to have it much much much worse. i notice it on mine, though quite limited. even with it being about -6C to 0C the car will barely have it happen, although i do notice it slightly. when it does happen as bad as how the RHD's are effected is in the garage at my work when its wet. then it is as bad as those videos posted above. that is where i first noticed it actually.

but it only seems to happen in wet conditions, not the cold ones. i do have 19" Scorpion run flats on the GLC. i don't see how they can say it is not a safety issue. when i noticed it in the garage, the turn was so much wider then normal. i actually had to back up when i never had to do that in my GLK or ML, ever. a lot of lateral movement. if it happened when going fast, i could see it being a very big problem.
dejongj (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 06:17 AM

right to be forgotten
Very interesting. I always accepted that it can do it a little under certain circumstances, and in my experience similar to what you have.

I've made a little video as someone suggested to slow down the video as they noticed the car hopping and jumping. Hmm well so do I Be your own judge.

The following 2 users liked this post by dejongj:
JustinS (01-14-2017), Mr. J (01-17-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 07:09 AM

GLC 250 AMG Line
Originally Posted by dejongj
Yup that is their stock response. Very strange they remain with it. The fact that they are aware and have devised a stock response would be tale telling
A bit rude of Dejong asking me to 'wind my neck in' and address me a 'pal'.

This is a problem that exists, it wont go away and it wont be addressed by discussing the issue with others on here. So, discuss with Dejong and and get nothing done or discuss more directly with your dealer and get your money back as I did.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:14 AM

right to be forgotten
A bit rude of Dejong asking me to 'wind my neck in' and address me a 'pal'.

This is a problem that exists, it wont go away and it wont be addressed by discussing the issue with others on here. So, discuss with Dejong and and get nothing done or discuss more directly with your dealer and get your money back as I did.

Totally ignoring the facts linked and stated above. If it was that simple, don't you think many of us have done that?

One post, one linked name to the topic you've posted, cared enough to sign up even though no longer and owner, you aren't working for a PR company aren't you?
Old 01-14-2017, 07:18 AM

GLC 250 AMG Line

Totally ignoring the facts linked and stated above. If it was that simple, don't you think many of us have done that?

One post, one linked name to the topic you've posted, cared enough to sign up even though no longer and owner, you aren't working for a PR company aren't you?
This is my last post on here debong. Good luck to you and the others with getting your money back. I suspect you won't though. The energy you've spent dealing with me would have been better directed at Mercedes.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Test drove a GLC43 ( MY17 ) here in Australia today. Can confirm that the car didnt have any crabbing or juddering issues on full lock.. 21inch non run-flat wheels.
The following 2 users liked this post by tiger_x:
dejongj (01-14-2017), JustinS (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by tiger_x
Test drove a GLC43 ( MY17 ) here in Australia today. Can confirm that the car didnt have any crabbing or juddering issues on full lock.. 21inch non run-flat wheels.
Yeah, my Australian spec glc43 doesn't have the issue either, but unsure if this issue started after a certain amount of kms/miles, dejongj?
dejongj (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 12:46 PM

right to be forgotten
Mine did it on day one unfortunately;
Old 01-16-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
This is my last post on here debong. Good luck to you and the others with getting your money back. I suspect you won't though. The energy you've spent dealing with me would have been better directed at Mercedes.
Moneyback, You clearly haven't read Dejongj's posts closely enough? He has been and will be fighting with the dealer, and has also been kind enough to keep us informed of his problem and his progress. In addition, if posts from him and similar posters cause a groundswell of opinion, (eg I have already cancelled my order) then MB might actually fix the issue. Whilst I am a big believer that these forums should not get personal, I have to say on this occasion: Good riddance to you Sir!

JP, keep up the good work mate!
The following 4 users liked this post by Matteus GLC AMG:
dejongj (01-16-2017), Mr. J (01-17-2017), rexgold (01-16-2017), Toobad (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 07:21 AM

right to be forgotten
We have now breached the threshold for a class action against Mercedes under UK law with so many people registering their complaint. It is a shame it had to come to this, surely it would have been cheaper for Mercedes to take the complaints serious.

My video along has now had so many views that if only 1% of those who watched it changed their mind, the direct revenue loss for Mercedes UK would be £1,084,500. I'm sure that key motoring web sites like Honest John can car magazine attract many more viewers.

I would have felt to do a disservice to those with a vehicle on order, there is nothing worse than having a defective vehicle, a dealer and manufacturer who brush it away, an ombudsman who is powerless to help make them pay, and the only way forward currently will be a lengthy legal battle.

I would not wish that upon my worst enemy, this is supposed to be a 'happy' a 'feel good' purchase, but instead it is a lot of aggravation.
Snooky (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 07:38 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
We have now breached the threshold for a class action against Mercedes under UK law with so many people registering their complaint. It is a shame it had to come to this, surely it would have been cheaper for Mercedes to take the complaints serious.

My video along has now had so many views that if only 1% of those who watched it changed their mind, the direct revenue loss for Mercedes UK would be £1,084,500. I'm sure that key motoring web sites like Honest John can car magazine attract many more viewers.

I would have felt to do a disservice to those with a vehicle on order, there is nothing worse than having a defective vehicle, a dealer and manufacturer who brush it away, an ombudsman who is powerless to help make them pay, and the only way forward currently will be a lengthy legal battle.

I would not wish that upon my worst enemy, this is supposed to be a 'happy' a 'feel good' purchase, but instead it is a lot of aggravation.
I wish you all the best JP. I have told my dealer that I will only proceed with the order if they guarantee in writing to let me return the car with a full refund within 2 weeks if I am not satisfied. I fully expect them to decline, and that will be the end of my dalliance with MB.

Next question for me: Can I scrape together the extra £10k for a Macan GTS....??!!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:36 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Matteus GLC AMG
I wish you all the best JP. I have told my dealer that I will only proceed with the order if they guarantee in writing to let me return the car with a full refund within 2 weeks if I am not satisfied. I fully expect them to decline, and that will be the end of my dalliance with MB.

Next question for me: Can I scrape together the extra £10k for a Macan GTS....??!!
That is indeed the question Have you considered the Jaguar F-Pace Supercharged? Or the Maserati Levante?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Worth reading - sounds familiar:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ght-turns.html
Old 01-16-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC220D Exclusive

Every word you state is very true.
I wish you the very best of good luck with this huge challenge..

Old 01-16-2017, 03:17 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Philamg
fascinating find. That could blow the RHD theory, but then how come no LHD owners are commenting in this thread?
Old 01-16-2017, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
fascinating find. That could blow the RHD theory, but then how come no LHD owners are commenting in this thread?
Not a clue but a major problem for MB which they obviously first thought was steering rack but isn't.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 43
Are all RHD GLCs affected or are some lucky enough to be ok?
Old 01-16-2017, 04:44 PM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
That is indeed the question Have you considered the Jaguar F-Pace Supercharged? Or the Maserati Levante?
Good shout - Only looked cursorily at F-pace to begin with due to high price (with no discount) and long waiting list. However I shall look again - thanks!

I believe that the Maserati is only offered in diesel, so no dice on that one! Seems odd given the lovely-sounding engines in their other cars!!
Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Matteus, I have just priced up the supercharged jag to same spec as my GLC and it is £6500 more, coming from JLR I don't believe it is worth this.
I am continuing with my order and have mailed and spoken to dealer about scrubbing so they know I am aware and will not accept if it has an issue. I haven't asked them to put it in writing as I knew they wouldn't agree but told them the car would be parked next to the dealer principals desk if I had issues as I was leaving LR because of quality concerns.
There reaction has been good and they phoned me today to ask if I wanted to pop in to drive a GLC but I declined and told them I wasn't bothered how the test car drives, just how mine does.
Only time will tell if it is the correct decision.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 GLC300, 2017 Corvette Z06
All,

The C7 Corvettes have a very similar problem, i.e. front tires jumping, skipping, skidding, etc on full steering wheel lock. It is WAY worse when it's cold or wet outside. They all do it for the most part. All this being said, at least for my Vette the tires don't have an abnormal wear pattern like I've seen in some pictures on this issue.

My understanding is it is related to Ackerman Steering phenomena. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acke...ering_geometry

Maybe it is a similar issue. Food for thought.

FWIW, our left hand drive 2017 GLC300 with 18" wheels doesn't have the issue, at least at temps above 40F. Hasn't been any colder that that since we brought it home.

Last edited by ArcticWhiteZ51; 01-16-2017 at 10:42 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock