Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Matteus GLC AMG
I wish you all the best JP. I have told my dealer that I will only proceed with the order if they guarantee in writing to let me return the car with a full refund within 2 weeks if I am not satisfied. I fully expect them to decline, and that will be the end of my dalliance with MB.

Next question for me: Can I scrape together the extra £10k for a Macan GTS....??!!
Forget the Porsche. Get the F-pace.
The following users liked this post:
Matteus GLC AMG (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Hey dejongj,

Thanks for putting up that vid and taking the time to share all your findings. I'll be watching how this develops very closely. Our order is set to arrive in late April. I will definitely be testing some turns at full lock prior to signing for the car.

Weirdly enough, It almost looks/sounds like your front diff is locking up during low speed cornering.

One item of note regarding LHD models:
The GLC43 just began selling in the US in November and hasn't been in Canada much longer than that either. There simply aren't that many of these vehicles on the roads in North America yet.

Good luck with your fight. I hope MB figures this out and does right by you.
Snooky (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 03:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 220d Sport
Originally Posted by Andy B
Are all RHD GLCs affected or are some lucky enough to be ok?
Whilst MB UK is happy to dismiss this fault as a comfort issue and maintain ALL right-hand drive GLCs have this "characteristic", I think it is equally important to state that I and several others have not experienced the problem. If people are willing to post up the specification of their car that is not afflicted by the problem then it will help to establish the criteria required to generate the fault as well as debunk MB's generalisation of the problem.

My June 2016 GLC is the 220d in Sport trim. It has air suspension and is shod with 235/60R18 Hankook Ventus EVO S2 non-runflat OEM tyres on the 18" rims from the Offroad Package.

I believe the torque split on the 220d is 45:55 whilst the 250d, 350 and 43 is set at 31:69. I wonder if this has any bearing on the situation.

This car was a "bucket list" purchase I have waited some 30 years to obtain. It is superb in every way and I realise I am now punching way above my weight. If I had experienced the phenomenon depicted in Jean-Paul's excellent video and not been allowed to return the car as unfit for purpose then, quite frankly, I think I would have been close to suicidal! Having read how toothless our Motoring Ombudsman is, I would urge everybody purchasing this car to get a written agreement from the supplying dealer stating that this crabbing issue represents reasonable grounds for a penalty-free rejection of the car. MB's tagline is "The Best or Nothing" yet when it comes to customer service, it is very disappointing to see they have taken the "nothing" option. I applaud the efforts of Jean-Paul and others in coordinating a Class Action and pray for a successful outcome. You all have my unequivocal support and wish you the very best of luck.

Trevor
rexgold (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Originally Posted by Toobad
Whilst MB UK is happy to dismiss this fault as a comfort issue and maintain ALL right-hand drive GLCs have this "characteristic", I think it is equally important to state that I and several others have not experienced the problem. If people are willing to post up the specification of their car that is not afflicted by the problem then it will help to establish the criteria required to generate the fault as well as debunk MB's generalisation of the problem.

My June 2016 GLC is the 220d in Sport trim. It has air suspension and is shod with 235/60R18 Hankook Ventus EVO S2 non-runflat OEM tyres on the 18" rims from the Offroad Package.

I believe the torque split on the 220d is 45:55 whilst the 250d, 350 and 43 is set at 31:69. I wonder if this has any bearing on the situation.

This car was a "bucket list" purchase I have waited some 30 years to obtain. It is superb in every way and I realise I am now punching way above my weight. If I had experienced the phenomenon depicted in Jean-Paul's excellent video and not been allowed to return the car as unfit for purpose then, quite frankly, I think I would have been close to suicidal! Having read how toothless our Motoring Ombudsman is, I would urge everybody purchasing this car to get a written agreement from the supplying dealer stating that this crabbing issue represents reasonable grounds for a penalty-free rejection of the car. MB's tagline is "The Best or Nothing" yet when it comes to customer service, it is very disappointing to see they have taken the "nothing" option. I applaud the efforts of Jean-Paul and others in coordinating a Class Action and pray for a successful outcome. You all have my unequivocal support and wish you the very best of luck.

Trevor
I do wonder if this is something to do with the Torque split too... my ML did not do this and had the Torque pretty much equal between front and rear...
Old 01-17-2017, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
I thought the 31-69 torque split was only on the GLC43!.

This may explain why the problem is only on right hand drive diesel cars but won't be the reason for the GLC43 petrols not being a problem in LHD :

"Both the GLC 220 d and GLC 250 d receive Mercedes-Benz's 4Matic four-wheel drive system as standard. However, unlike the left-hand-drive models that apportion power in a 45% front, 55% rear split, right-hand-drive UK models come with a 33%/67% front/rear split. "

Last edited by Philamg; 01-17-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Forget the Porsche. Get the F-pace.
Agreed. So I called my local jag dealer, and believe it or not, they have several F-Pace un spec'd slots for March delivery (1 -2 months before my AMG would have arrived) which they would be prepared to do a deal on!! I've sent them a spec for the car I want (Yes, V6 Supercharged S version, ~£58k list with options ) and am awaiting their response with baited breath.

Reading the reviews has made me rather excited, and not a single mention of tyre scrubbing anywhere on the internet!!

Phil - might be worth reconsidering.....?
Old 01-17-2017, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Agreed. So I called my local jag dealer, and believe it or not, they have several F-Pace un spec'd slots for March delivery (1 -2 months before my AMG would have arrived) which they would be prepared to do a deal on!! I've sent them a spec for the car I want (Yes, V6 Supercharged S version, ~£58k list with options ) and am awaiting their response with baited breath.

Reading the reviews has made me rather excited, and not a single mention of tyre scrubbing anywhere on the internet!!

Phil - might be worth reconsidering.....?
Not for me Matt, overpriced for what it is and I've had enough of JLR, hope all goes well for you though.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:30 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Fair enough Phil - Good luck to you as well. I hope the issue isn't on your car, or if it is, the dealer honours the verbal agreement. My dealer would not agree to provide the written guarantee of 'money back if not satisfied' which I required so it was goodbye muchachos!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Fair enough Phil - Good luck to you as well. I hope the issue isn't on your car, or if it is, the dealer honours the verbal agreement. My dealer would not agree to provide the written guarantee of 'money back if not satisfied' which I required so it was goodbye muchachos!
Matt

May be worth checking the F pace forum before you jump, have a look at these posts below, sounds very familiar especially the word characteristic:

http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2197

http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2141

Last edited by Philamg; 01-17-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:43 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Philamg
Matt

May be worth checking the F pace forum before you jump, have a look at these posts below, sounds very familiar especially the word characteristic:

http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2197

http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2141
Interesting, our neighbour doesn't have those issues at all. I'm actually trying to get her to 'star' alongside several other SUV owners in our area in a video called - "Look at this Mercedes - Mine doesn't do it". Got an F-Pace, Porsche Macan & Cayenne, SantaFe, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover Vogue, Range Rover Evoque, VW Tiguan & Toureaq, Nissan Quasquai & X-Trail, Ford Kuga, Suzuki Vitara, Volvo XC60 & 90, oh and a Land Rover Defender all contacted.

Finding the time for a coffee morning at ours is hard, may have to get some wine and food in to speed it along
Old 01-18-2017, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by dejongj
Interesting, our neighbour doesn't have those issues at all. I'm actually trying to get her to 'star' alongside several other SUV owners in our area in a video called - "Look at this Mercedes - Mine doesn't do it". Got an F-Pace, Porsche Macan & Cayenne, SantaFe, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover Vogue, Range Rover Evoque, VW Tiguan & Toureaq, Nissan Quasquai & X-Trail, Ford Kuga, Suzuki Vitara, Volvo XC60 & 90, oh and a Land Rover Defender all contacted.

Finding the time for a coffee morning at ours is hard, may have to get some wine and food in to speed it along
If you go on the F pace forum and the Discovery sport forums you will find a lot more quality issues than on the GLC one. Since April 15 owners of discovery sports have had an issue called the B pillar rattle where the welds on the B pillar have to be broken and rewelded, cars are still coming off the production line now with the issue. All forums will highlight issues, the main thing is how manufacturers deal with them and MB aren't dealing with this one very well.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:16 AM

GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Originally Posted by Philamg
If you go on the F pace forum and the Discovery sport forums you will find a lot more quality issues than on the GLC one. Since April 15 owners of discovery sports have had an issue called the B pillar rattle where the welds on the B pillar have to be broken and rewelded, cars are still coming off the production line now with the issue. All forums will highlight issues, the main thing is how manufacturers deal with them and MB aren't dealing with this one very well.
I may be able to drive without a issue if it is a rattle.. my last ML had a rattle coming from the middle dash and local MB dealer could not fix it.. however, the scrabbing is just too big a problem when the car does not go in the direction of the steering is something I can't put up with..

And you are right.. MB UK have completely shot themselves in the foot this time.. I have informed the dealer that I purchased my car from that I will not be buying any new Cars from MB if this is not resolved positively.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:19 AM

right to be forgotten
Totally agree Philamg - I expect and accept issues, how they are dealt with is the important part.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 350D GLC 250D, Previous vehicles W204, W164, W163, W210 & W202
I certainly have the crabbing issue when full lock reverse on my RHD GLC250d.
It has never been of major concern as it is no worse than my prior 2 ML500's.
Snooky (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Penn
I certainly have the crabbing issue when full lock reverse on my RHD GLC250d.
It has never been of major concern as it is no worse than my prior 2 ML500's.
That is interesting.. I have not had that on my last 2 MLs... one was ML280 and the next was ML 350.. the 350 with 21" wheels and never experienced this.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:28 AM

right to be forgotten
Likewise here - never experienced that on my GL350 AMG Sport model (aka also with 21" wheels and the same Continental tyres).

I only experienced this on my old pickup truck and Nissan Patrol GR both with manual 4x4 and leaving the high gearing in when the gearbox locks up. Not a good thing to do. I would not class it as normal on fully automatic cars.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
I have only been on the forum for a short time so late to what has happened but it appears to me that because the front to back drive ratios is so different between RHD cars and LHD ones this may be the cause of the issue,
This doesn't explain why the LHD GLC43 isn't experiencing the problem as I assume the drive ratio is same as RHD at 31-69, it could be that there aren't many 43's in LHD at the moment and the issue may surface.
If this is correct I can't see how MB can fix it and that may be the reason they are going along the line of it being a characteristic of the car.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:49 AM

right to be forgotten
So the E43 is affected as well, very interesting...

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-d...e-driven/35597
Old 01-18-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC220D Exclusive
Originally Posted by Toobad
I think it is equally important to state that I and several others have not experienced the problem. If people are willing to post up the specification of their car that is not afflicted by the problem then it will help to establish the criteria required to generate the fault as well as debunk MB's generalisation of the problem.

My GLC220D Exclusive runs like a hare...No problems so far..

Old 01-18-2017, 12:35 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by GLC220Exclusive

My GLC220D Exclusive runs like a hare...No problems so far..

Which is great, but at the same time doesn't make any sense. I mean Mercedes Benz say this is a characteristic of the car, they ALL do it. So if yours doesn't do it, then someone is lying
Old 01-18-2017, 12:40 PM

right to be forgotten
Which is great, but at the same time doesn't make any sense. I mean Mercedes Benz say this is a characteristic of the car, they ALL do it. So if yours doesn't do it, then someone is lying
Thinking about that a bit further, and you've got to help me here as I'm not familiar with the Irish market.

You have a RHD vehicle correct?
The GLC220d Exclusive is the entry level as I understand, so does it have 4wd? Is it on 17" wheels/tyres? Does it have a 50/50 torque spit? (if it has 4wd).

There could be possibly some clues there, or perhaps I'm just clutching straw.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC220D Exclusive

Hey don't forget the Hyundai Tuson the best selling suv in the world....so we are told on every second advertisement on the TV....

Old 01-18-2017, 12:45 PM

right to be forgotten
Sure whatever, but what about being serious for one minutes and respond to the questions? This is a real issue for many owners.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:56 PM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Update - Dealt on a 3.0l supercharged V6 F-Pace in black with black 22" (Yes 22"!!) Wheels for April delivery. Only got about half the discount that I got on the Merc, but happy with that given the general lack discounts available.

I am feeling a strange mixture of emotions at the moment to be honest......
dejongj (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:59 PM

right to be forgotten
Oh that sounds lovely! Really nice.

Just enjoy it, I wish I was informed like this prior to taken delivery of mine. I really wished more spoke up early on and not accept it as normal. But so be it, I'm pleased for you.
Matteus GLC AMG (01-19-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock