R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Air filter change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Air filter change

Obviously, as any car manufacturer, MB does not make filters. Their filters are manufactured by someone else. Some batches are labeled MB and sold with the obvious pricetags, other batches are obligatory sold under other brands.

So basically...
What's known a good quality filter brand and where I can order?

On Ebay is mostly Mann and Hamman filters. Does anyone know anything about those?

Same question for cabin filter.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:42 PM

C55 AMG
I'm certain that Mann Germany makes the original OEM filter. I have an OEM official MB filter that says Mann made in Germany on it, I have a Mann Germany filter and I have a Hamman filter. They each look almost identical. They all have the orange/brown forming adhesive top and bottom. They have the string wrapping around each. And the paper label areas are almost identical as well. I have looked at them with a 40x jewelers loop and the fibers on the filter media even look the same. The only difference I can tell is that the OEM MB filter has 47 pleats, the Mann has 43 pleats and the Hamman has 42 pleats. Now this could be just be different during manufacturing periods. I'm not sure how old my filters are although I bought them this year. Also, the Hammon filter weighs 2.2oz, the Mann filter weighs 2.1oz and the OEM MB filter weighs 2.0oz. Not sure what to make of that either. One more thing is the OEM MB filter and the Mann filter have laser etched labels and the Hamman has dot matrix ink printed label.
I'm 99.99% sure that Mann makes the MB OEM, Bosch, K&N (probably more). But, the Hammon throw me off with dot matrix label. If it's coming of the same assembly line I don't think this would change. I would like to know where the Hammans are made. I can't seem to figure that out yet?
Old 06-14-2015, 05:57 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
This is a problem with original mercedes parts. Made buy some other maker with a Mercedes sticker on the box , a rip off .I purchased a power steering filter .On getting home i opened the box and it said made in Spain and it was Mann filter . I looked on ebay and the same item was half the price.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:36 AM

R350
Originally Posted by nocera
I'm certain that Mann Germany makes the original OEM filter. I have an OEM official MB filter that says Mann made in Germany on it, I have a Mann Germany filter and I have a Hamman filter. They each look almost identical. They all have the orange/brown forming adhesive top and bottom. They have the string wrapping around each. And the paper label areas are almost identical as well. I have looked at them with a 40x jewelers loop and the fibers on the filter media even look the same. The only difference I can tell is that the OEM MB filter has 47 pleats, the Mann has 43 pleats and the Hamman has 42 pleats. Now this could be just be different during manufacturing periods. I'm not sure how old my filters are although I bought them this year. Also, the Hammon filter weighs 2.2oz, the Mann filter weighs 2.1oz and the OEM MB filter weighs 2.0oz. Not sure what to make of that either. One more thing is the OEM MB filter and the Mann filter have laser etched labels and the Hamman has dot matrix ink printed label.
I'm 99.99% sure that Mann makes the MB OEM, Bosch, K&N (probably more). But, the Hammon throw me off with dot matrix label. If it's coming of the same assembly line I don't think this would change. I would like to know where the Hammans are made. I can't seem to figure that out yet?
On the scale of five stars, this answer deserves a 7.
Many thanks.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 R350
Originally Posted by Rodinal
Obviously, as any car manufacturer, MB does not make filters. Their filters are manufactured by someone else. Some batches are labeled MB and sold with the obvious pricetags, other batches are obligatory sold under other brands.

So basically...
What's known a good quality filter brand and where I can order?

On Ebay is mostly Mann and Hamman filters. Does anyone know anything about those?

Same question for cabin filter.
I buy Mann filters for ours.

Amazon is also a great source.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
There are many online parts suppliers
I have recently liked RMEuropean.
http://www.rmeuropean.com/

But there are many others. Pelican, Parts Geek,
Old 06-15-2015, 10:56 AM

R350
Originally Posted by efzauner
There are many online parts suppliers
I have recently liked RMEuropean.
http://www.rmeuropean.com/

But there are many others. Pelican, Parts Geek,
$28 for the 2-set of filters, Mann. That's really good. Beats Ebay sellers. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:14 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
As listed above, can always check out our parts catalog here for any type of part you may need in the future.

-Luccia
Old 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM

C55 AMG
I just talked to a parts distributor and he said the Hamman filters are made in China. That's too bad. But, I have to admit they look and feel as close as you can get to OEM. Did I say I hate to admit that. Short of analyzing the filter fibers it looks pretty darn good. You can typically get the Mann for $10-12 and the Hamman for $6-7.