CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Problems Upgrading CLK-350 Audio System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 11:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 CLK350 Cabriolet with 18" AMG Fitment TSW Rims
Problems Upgrading CLK-350 Audio System

After just purchasing a used 2009 CLK-350 Cabriolet I've concluded these cars' audio systems are dated. So I purchased a Seicane Android Unit which besides not coming with any instructions, may not correctly 'talk' to the car's speakers.

I've read through Rudeney's posts and believe since this car has the '810' COMAND system, it should be a Harmon. That said, it makes me believe all the amplifiers are in the Head Unit. Indeed when I went looking in the right rear trunk well, there is only a Telephone Module there. All of Rudeney's color codes check out. This car has three speakers per side; lower door, sail tweeter and rear. It has a subwoofer between the rear seats. It does have the Fiber Optics running throughout the car but since this thing has a CD changer, it could just be talking to that. Have they hidden an amp somewhere besides where it's supposed to be? Trying to understand why when I properly connected the new unit, I have no sound.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 194 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
There are plenty of threads discussing this very issue in great detail. Do a search. You definitely have an amp. How did you wire the new unit?
Old 09-26-2016, 01:57 PM

I did find the Amp and used their 6m Cable to hit the speakers. Now I'm down to not being able to turn the unit on with their 6m cable, but it turns on with their 1/2m Cable.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:00 PM

Old 09-26-2016, 09:45 PM

After checking their supplied 6m cable, I found the pins were off on the CANBUS turnon signal. Taking their short cable and bridging the turnon signal I now have the unit working in CD and SDCard Modes. The Radio is still a challenge.

There must be 10 coax cables in the right trunk fender well going to various modules, including the Phone Module which I don't plan to keep. It appears that some antennae are in the rear window and it looks like there is one in the windshield. The car had Factory GPS, Factory Cell Phone and of course the Radio and TV?

Connecting the Antenna of the new unit to any of the three cables the OEM Radion had on it produces little signal. I get more signal just by holding the cable adapter in my hand. I think the COMAND unit must be doing some antenna switching. If anyone has had to unravel this puzzle please share.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 194 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
I wouldn't expect any of the android harnesses to be plug and play. I've seen plenty that were supposed to work but the pins were in the wrong position.

You need to send a signal to the antenna amplifier to turn on in order to get radio reception. There should be a wire in the radio harness for that (ANTENNA).

You can also use the factory GPS antenna with an adapter.

You'll have to remove missing modules from the cluster if you plan to disconnect them using Star...

Are you retaining steering wheel controls?
The following users liked this post:
rmetzner49 (09-29-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:41 AM

Thanks. Steering Wheel Controls are working! I will just have to find the Antenna Amplifier and determine how to turn it on.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
Hello I did this install and the radio issue is easy to fix . go to the stock wiring harness behind the radio . There should be a blue wire in one of the connectors #5 . You need to supply it with 12 v . I am not sure how your system came but in one of my connectors are loose wires with tags on them showing wires for amp wire back up camera power etc. you should be able to find on that says antenna . if you don't have one find one that says ACC or 12v ACC . Just make sure it only comes on when the radio is on and not constant . Wire that to the blue wire and you got reception . Also go to settings and go all the way down to factory settings . it will ask you for a code it should be 126 or m123456 . this is a hidden menu . go to radio and make sure your on US1 or Us2 . sometime they come set to china and you get no radio . Let me know if you need more help
rmetzner49 (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:48 PM

Yes, I do have the Radio working doing pretty much what you suggested. Of course due to their crappy quality and absolutely NO INSTRUCTIONS from Seicane, you have to guess at all this. My latest challenge came today where the CANBUS Controller lost power due to a poor solder connection. I get all the wires tucked neatly behind the unit and push it in the hole, and then NOTHING. I cut the sheathing off their supplied cable to find this issue. Then of all things, the header in the CANBUS module slides off the pins.

Now I'm dealing with the Backup Camera. They supply a cable with a little relay board and again NO INSTRUCTIONS. I wire it logically, red to +12, black to GND, and blue to Power Antenna. No 12V at the Camera. There is an additional blue and black wire at the Camera end, but I can't just arbitrarily start connecting them. Tracing the relay board tells me one side of the relay coil is not connected to anything and should be grounded. Maybe if I connect the Ground at the Camera it will work?

Good thing I'm retired!
Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
I didn't buy from that company because it looked like it was bad. The best one I have seen is called Xtrons . I also did another thing . Instead of the cable I ran rcas to the trunk and I added a 5 ch amp to run the speakers . They sent me the cable and it was a headache plus I lost my subwoofer . You don't néed anything expensive you can buy an amp for like 100 dollars . This way you just connect the oem connections in the front and you tap into the speakers in the back like you already did.
rmetzner49 (09-29-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 320 convertible. A weekend driver only.
What a great thread. I have been looking at a replacement unit for my 05 CLK500 Cabriolet and did see the Xtrons on eBay. Unit looks great but the quality issues is a worry. Not to mention the installation issues. My local "car audio" shop has no idea how to properly install much of anything. Sure wish I could find more OE looking choices!