SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Stereo wiring harness quesiton

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600 AMG
Stereo wiring harness quesiton

I am looking to put an aftermarket double din head unit into our 2007 SL600. I already found the dash trim piece, but I am trying to find the wiring harness that plugs into the mercedes factory plug so that I do not have to alter/cut anything and can restore it to factory if desired. I have the 6 disc changer option that is located behing the driver's seat, but I am not sure if there is any way to make use of it with an aftermarket setup.

Anyway my question is, does anyone know where to find the aftermarket harness? I have been looking without any luck. I was hoping to get some good info before I actually pull the stock unit.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:41 PM

SL550
Originally Posted by aeb28
I am looking to put an aftermarket double din head unit into our 2007 SL600. I already found the dash trim piece, but I am trying to find the wiring harness that plugs into the mercedes factory plug so that I do not have to alter/cut anything and can restore it to factory if desired. I have the 6 disc changer option that is located behing the driver's seat, but I am not sure if there is any way to make use of it with an aftermarket setup.

Anyway my question is, does anyone know where to find the aftermarket harness? I have been looking without any luck. I was hoping to get some good info before I actually pull the stock unit.
Stumbled onto below link. I did not try any interface myself but hopefully it helps.
http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?car=mercedes
The following users liked this post:
aeb28 (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 08:09 PM

SL600 AMG
Thank you, yes that looks like the harness probably need. I went ahead and emailed them to see if I can get just the harness without the trim plate (already have it)
Old 10-04-2016, 10:00 PM

SL550
Originally Posted by aeb28
Thank you, yes that looks like the harness probably need. I went ahead and emailed them to see if I can get just the harness without the trim plate (already have it)
Fact that you are asking if they would sell the interface minus the trim leads me to believe you are looking at a kit for non-Bose system. Make sure you communicate to the seller exactly which system you have.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:22 PM

SL600 AMG
Originally Posted by secondchance550
Fact that you are asking if they would sell the interface minus the trim leads me to believe you are looking at a kit for non-Bose system. Make sure you communicate to the seller exactly which system you have.
That was the first thing they asked when they replied. I already have same trim piece as the one sold in the kit, which is why I only need the interface. So far, the link you provided has been the only supplier I have seen that provides complete harnesses for R230 specifically.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:23 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
since you are 05+ you are lucky as you have the MOST fiber optic system for the comand stereo. All you need to make it plug in play is an OPTI-1 module. The harness you linked will NOT work plug and play. The only thing that does is make the steering wheel controls and antenna plug in, but it will NOT plug and play an aftermarket unit into your existing amp and speakers. You have to have an OPTI-1 module (which the website you linked doesn't even sell) in order to make everything plug and play. Otherwise you are going to have to rewire everything to a new amp.

BTW- if you had an 03/04 there car that has the D2b fiber optic there is no plug and play module and you will need to wire up a new amp to the car.

here is a thread that goes in depth on the opti-1

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ot-easier.html
Old 10-06-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
also, there is no way you can make use of the factory 6 disc changer with an aftermarket setup
Old 10-13-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
As car guy mentioned, if you want to tap into the existing "wiring" if you can call it that, you'll need a MOST compatible head unit.

Personally I have no issue with the existing command head unit, but I wanted to have some iPod/Bluetooth integration, so in my case I opted for the MBridge system, which is actually very easy to install. Basically plugs in between you Command and your CD Changer, effectively bypassing the changer in favor of the MoBridge. It also supports Bluetooth, so it can be paired with just about any smartphone.

iPod playback is now integrated into the Command, which thinks of the unit as the CD Changer, and the phone and adress book work as if it was a native phone.

The only drawbacks are the iPod navigation, which is cumbersome at times, and the fact that you need to use their microphone, which means you have to route it to the front (not a big deal). I suppose one could find the wiring for the Mercedes built in overhead mic, and extended the wires to wherever the Mobridge is.

For me this basically made the outdated Command usable again, and haven't had the desire to replace it with anything new.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:33 PM

SL600 AMG
Thank you for the replies, that is very helpful. I was unaware of the Opti-1 situation until you brought it up carguyshu. Very good to know.

The primary reason we want to change the head unit is that my wife and I want a backup camera. Unless there is some way to add it to the command unit that I am unaware of, we planned to change out the head unit and leave everything stock or at least able to convert back to stock.

So I guess another question would be, is there anyway to integrate a backup camera into the stock command unit?