190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

my partners car before kit! so u can see change so far!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 mercedes 190d 2.5
Thumbs up my partners car before kit! so u can see change so far!

i recently posted a pic of my partners car he is busy putting a part evo 2 and part rieger evo 3 kit on. here is a pic of his car before kit was put on so u can see the change so far! will hav more recent pics soon of car in process!
What do you think? And does anyone know where he can get an evo 2 boot spoiler from?

His car before kit..............

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-07-2006, 07:39 AM

1993 Mercedes 190E
Wink

Looks nice as it is, though I'm sure it would be improved if the grey on the rad grille were black instead. Colour-keying the body side mouldings and bumpers to exactly the same shade as the upper bodywork is also an improvement, I think.
That number plate doesn't look exactly legal - but I guess it means traffic cameras can't identify you !
Old 10-07-2006, 08:17 AM

1991 mercedes 190d 2.5
Red face

the grill is all chrome strips though u cant really see them properly on tht pic. i think it will look good once kits done, i wasnt keen on it as first as his car was in such good nic but as its progressin its lukin betta. but we'll see lol
I will put sum more pics on a.s.a.p of it in progress
Old 10-07-2006, 10:57 AM

1993 Mercedes 190E
Cool

All chrome strips ? Really ? You can see the original chrome bars more prominently than the ones that were originally painted grey on that photo. I think the grey paint is one of the few detail Murky-Benz didn't get right originally. I notice the front indicators are clear which I think looks better with that colour paint.
Aside from that it is good to see a 190E in good clean original condition as there's not so many of them around. Most either seem to get neglected or modified to look like some horrible plastic monsterousity from the land of the rising yen. Nice 190E's are at last beginning to rise in value a little.
I was wondering what engine it is running ?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:22 AM

1991 mercedes 190d 2.5
Red face Hi Kelpa

Hi
Just to let you know its a 1991, 190d 2.5l , 5 cylinder. waitin for a twin turbo though! Would like clear back indicators but cant find them anywhere...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-07-2006, 09:31 PM

1993 Mercedes 190E
Talking

Have you tried e-bay for the rear lenses ? If you set up a search to e-mail the results to you every day then you should find them before too long.
I see the car is a diseasel - is it fast enough with a tractor engine in it to be worth it ? I guess those twin turbos will really help !
Old 10-08-2006, 04:51 AM

1991 mercedes 190d 2.5
Smile Thanx Kepla

Hi thanx, i will try wot u sed about ebay and hopefully sumthing will come up eventually! aint really bothered about speed just really doin it up for the car shows, as in england the fuel prices are ridiculous compared to yours, so wouldn't be able to run the damn thing if i did out wit it ha ha I suppose i wud like a bit more power from her but bye bye diesel LOL!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:16 AM

1993 Mercedes 190E
Cool

as in england the fuel prices are ridiculous compared to yours
Yes, I agree, our fuel prices here in England are absolutely ridiculous ! At least we can smile with pride in the knowledge that most of the money we pay for fuel is taxes which the government uses to help the endless stream of immigrants coming into our country !
Right now I'm investigating the possibility of converting my 190E to run on LPG - Liquid Petroleum Gas - as this more-or-less halves the running costs. Though as I am getting a steady 34 mpg I'm not really complaining as it is.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:17 PM

1991 mercedes 190d 2.5
Talking Hiya!

Hi, we live in washington, tyne and wear. from here we went to seahouses,in northumberland and back on a tenner (about 110 mile altogether) So i aint complaining either lol!
My diesel lacks a bit in power goin up steep banks so could do with a turbo. thats the only bad thing about the car i would say!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:46 PM

1993 Mercedes 190E
Wink

Yeah - about 45 mpg out of an old smokey diseasel can't be too bad !
Old 10-19-2006, 11:43 AM

190E
Your friends car is gorgeous..

Anyone know where I can get those side markers from?
Is eBay my only choice?
Are they easy to hook up?

I was thinking of buying some Honda ones.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:55 PM

1993 Mercedes 190E
Question

What side markers ? ? ?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by kepla
What side markers ? ? ?
i'm guessing the only ones in the thread... the clear ones in the first pic
Old 10-20-2006, 05:14 AM

1993 Mercedes 190E
Arrow

What side markers ? ? ?
i'm guessing the only ones in the thread... the clear ones in the first pic
Can't see any side markers at all, front or rear, in any colour or position.
What we can see:
Plain, ordinary, off-the-shelf, bog-standard, run-of-the-mill, combined headlamps and driving lamps either side of the front grille.
Direction indicators mounted in the normal position at the outside edge of the headlamps. These happen to be the clear replacements for the standard amber-coloured ones. Sometimes referred to as 'clear corners'.
Small direction indicator repeaters mounted on the front wings aft of the wheel-arches and just above the side-moulding. These are in the standard position but, once again, clear ones have been fitted in replacement of the standard amber ones.
The only other lighting we can see on the car is the standard rear clusters, on a different picture.
The 190E has never been fitted with side-markers - they are most unusual on cars of European or British origin, appearing mainly on North American or Canadian cars. Where fitted, they would usually be found mounted on the sides of the vehicle, fore and aft less than one foot from the extremity, either just above or just below the bumper line. I suppose somebody could fit side-markers to a 190E after-market if they really wanted to, but I fear they would probably look a mess.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Small direction indicator repeaters mounted on the front wings aft of the wheel-arches and just above the side-moulding. These are in the standard position but, once again, clear ones have been fitted in replacement of the standard amber ones.
those would be the side markers he was talking about.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:09 PM

1993 Mercedes 190E
Question

Ah, right ! I'm sorry - I should allow for other people's mistakes better.
When the term 'side markers' was used, I thought that what was meant was the 'running lights' which are sometimes used to mark where the vehicle is and are mounted on the sides. Marker lamps on the sides = side markers, yes ?
It seems a little confusing to call direction indicator repeators 'side markers' when that isn't really what they are for, doesn't it ? After all, they are not actually there to 'mark' the 'side', they are there to 'indicate direction' (or an impending turn). It seems to make sense to me, but then I do tend to take things literally.
I guess that provided nobody relates the story of how the small-block Chevrolet V8 motor came to be known as the 'mouse' then we can all stay reasonably sane.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Ah, right ! I'm sorry - I should allow for other people's mistakes better.
When the term 'side markers' was used, I thought that what was meant was the 'running lights' which are sometimes used to mark where the vehicle is and are mounted on the sides. Marker lamps on the sides = side markers, yes ?
he didn't make a mistake. he's based in america, where cars generally don't have turn signals on the side of the car. if there is a light on the side of the car, which is pretty rare on most US spec cars, it's a 'running light', because it stays illuminated, it doesn't flash. it was only natural for him to assume that the light on that car was a running light, not a turn signal, just as it was only natural for you to know the opposite, since your car has them and the ones here don't.

tomatoe/tomato, though i must admit, the lengthy disseratations on semantics are interesting

Last edited by ZedStyle; 10-20-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:10 PM

190E
Thanks Zed!

Yeah, over here in the states we call them side markers and I can't wait to get me some! He's right, our cars don't come with side markers unless its a VW or a modified Honda.

I want some though..
I want the ones that stay on, but lightly lit. Then when I signal, they start blinking.

Any new pics?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:35 AM

1993 Mercedes 190E
Wink

he didn't make a mistake. he's based in america,
The mistake which was made was in assuming that American terminology would apply to the car under discussion, the one in the picture, even though it was clearly in Britain and not America.
Maybe if the car happened to be in America (which it wasn't) then there would be some very similar-looking 'side markers' where the 'direction indcators' actually are. As it is, the car is in Britan, not America, so they are direction indicators.
Anyway, the lamp and lens assemblies used at the corners of the vehicle - no matter whether they are for side marking or direction indicating - are the same parts. The difference occurs in the way the flasher relay is wired up. The 'clear corners' and the little lights on the wings near the wheelarches, are available in many places - you can get them plain clear or smoked as well as the factory-standard amber. E-bay is probably the cheapest place to get them.