190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Dimensions of rear deck compartment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Dimensions of rear deck compartment?

what are the length and width dimensions of the rear deck 1st aid compartment?

will a 15" kicker solobaric or 15" kicker CVX fit in that spot once i build my box under it.

any body with pictures of a sub install in the deck would really be helpful.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 AM

1993 190E 2.6
From everything I hear you want to do to this car, you bought the wrong car! You want to put a turbo in it, you want to add 75 pounds to the trunk, you want to draw a lot of power from the alternator. I have news, every time the bass hits with a solobaric, you're going to feel the car slow down because of the drag on your engine. You should have bought a 1995ish C230/C280. but, good luck with your plans, here is some info.

You can cut into the rear deck yes,

You can not just remove the first aid kit and stick a 15 in there. Wont fit.

You can just face the sub towards the trunk(and I recommend matting the trunk) and have it sound fine but be careful of the alternator on such an old car.

In addition to all that, you will get more bass into the cabin of your car facing your subs towards the trunk then facing them up. I do recommend cutting out the first aid box and putting a piece of black screen/mesh to cover the whole. You get noticeably more bass with the kit removed and the flap up/removed.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 AM

1993 190E 2.6
Also, if you want to keep some trunk space, and save some weight, I suggest free air space subs from JL or the T5 subs from JL. Two T5 subs is all you need. Unless you want this to be a slam box. Anything louder than that is just mass amounts of noise.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:51 PM

SL500
the fuel injection is a back burner project because of the cost and time it will take to get done..

and how do you figure i bought the wrong car. i said these are projects. are you not allowed to have projects on a old car?

are there any pictures of rear decks with a larger sub in them?
Old 12-11-2008, 03:34 PM

1993 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by JAPRACING
the fuel injection is a back burner project because of the cost and time it will take to get done..

and how do you figure i bought the wrong car. i said these are projects. are you not allowed to have projects on a old car?

are there any pictures of rear decks with a larger sub in them?
Absolutly nothing wrong with a project car. IMO They are fun and if you chose the right car for the right projects, worth the money. I just dont see this car being what you might expect. If you want to do a super charger, you might find it much easier to find and do in 90's a C230. The 190e isnt something you get a lot of power from unless you do an engine swap. At least from what I know. People get on here all the time asking how to add HP to ther w201. People laugh. There is no ECU tune. There is no intake that really does anything worth the money. Unless you have the AMG, the cosworth engine, or do a swap, I dont see the 190e being a performance car of any nature. but, if you want to make it a project, I will be anticipating the results as someone who would love to see a non AMG/cosworth/swapped 190e be quick. Also, search the forum on how to get your car to start in first gear all the time. That will help.

As far as the sub, I haven't seen any installs like that, probably becuase they dont sound good. I suggest as a fellow car audio enthusiast that you face your subs towards the rear and get the T5's. Or get JL's free air space subs and mount those into the rear deck. But it has been my experience that facing your sub up in a trunk, even aimed thru that hole, is less bass into the cabin. and not worth the hassle. IMO. Doing a blow thru might be a better idea if you are stuck with having a 1,000 watt sub rattle the **** out of your life. Then you can use the dimensions of the port already there as your port for the box. No need to cut into the rear deck.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
Old 12-11-2008, 04:33 PM

SL500
at the moment i have two kicker 12" cvrs in a ported box and a 750.1 kicker amp. if i point them at the rear of my car do you think there will be more bass than the one solobaric in the rear deck?

the car already has a sony gt-310 headunit and pol audio speakers.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:45 PM

1993 190E 2.6
at the moment i have two kicker 12" cvrs in a ported box and a 750.1 kicker amp. if i point them at the rear of my car do you think there will be more bass than the one solobaric in the rear deck?

the car already has a sony gt-310 headunit and pol audio speakers.

YES! But, if you point your solobaric towards the rear of the car, you will have more bass then the 2 cvr's. The acoustics in the car are not acceptable for a upward facing sub thru the back deck in my experience.

I ask why you want to buy a solobaric if you have 2 cvr's? Also, for the price of a solobaric vs JL audio T5's,http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?page_id=245 you'll have a cleaner sound and A LOT more trunk space. The box to the solo is going to kill your trunk. Wait, you cant fit a 15 in the trunk of a 190. Unless anyone has done it. I have to finagle getting my box for my two 12's in.

Plus, I dont think you can put a speaker in the deck unles its free air space because of the gas tank.

If you havent bought your solobaric and aren't getting a good deal or discount, go to www.millionbuy.com I have bought from them, they are good.

Last edited by PhilipM1; 12-12-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 PM

SL500
thx for that info i will look into it.

i am/was planning all this on a 1992 190E i was goin to buy next week.

i was paying for the car by selling my current car. except for the guy from canada who was supposidly buying my car forged a check from someones bank account her stole and sent it to me. he is bein investigated by the fbi. i havent sold my car and i think i might loose my chance to buy this 190E.

i hate it because i love these cars.

I guess some people just dont care.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 PM

1993 190E 2.6
thx for that info i will look into it.

i am/was planning all this on a 1992 190E i was goin to buy next week.

i was paying for the car by selling my current car. except for the guy from canada who was supposidly buying my car forged a check from someones bank account her stole and sent it to me. he is bein investigated by the fbi. i havent sold my car and i think i might loose my chance to buy this 190E.

i hate it because i love these cars.

I guess some people just dont care.
Thats an unfortunate situation. These cars are wonderful to own. The 92 is good. I recommend a 93 tho for the first gear start. It can be a life saver.

It would be great if you got a 190. You have some very interesting plans I would love to see put in motion to get the final result. Hopefully the car thing works out for you!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:09 PM

1988 190e 2.3 8v 5spd- manual trans
ok... very interesting plans... i agree, i have a 88 190e 2.3 no 16v... fully stock, and i have a box of 10'' subs in the trunk and they do take all of the space back there, i want to costumize where the first aid is at... my plans are:

Remove the whole panel and have the subs there since i want my trunk space back, and but 2 EV's 10" and probably 2 tweeters. i most likely get a capasitor since you are talking about the alternator. i will take picks of what i have right now soon.... i will post them up. g2g.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:47 PM

1993 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by tnez190e
ok... very interesting plans... i agree, i have a 88 190e 2.3 no 16v... fully stock, and i have a box of 10'' subs in the trunk and they do take all of the space back there, i want to costumize where the first aid is at... my plans are:

Remove the whole panel and have the subs there since i want my trunk space back, and but 2 EV's 10" and probably 2 tweeters. i most likely get a capasitor since you are talking about the alternator. i will take picks of what i have right now soon.... i will post them up. g2g.
Are you talking about this?

http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView...aign=FroogleUS

Thats an 8ohm, house sub... Altho you are on the right track, you are going to blow those subs in a month unless you have a 8 ohm amp. Which I believe only JL makes because they make 8ohm subs, I have a pair.

If you have an 8 ohm sub, we can move on to mounting, magnet placement, and acoustics. Mounting those things shouldn't be a problem, till we get to magnet placement. They are most likely going to be touching the metal gas tank. I dont know if the encloser is thick enough to weaken the magnetic field. Furthermore, did you even read all my post?? Acoustics, the back deck is not set up to have bass fired towards it. Im not trying to be an ***. Im just saying dont waste your money. It doesn't sound good as I have tried and have never seen anyone with this set up in our cars.

If you want more trunk space, http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?page_id=245

All you need is one. But you can get two if you so desire. These are equivalent to a W3 from what I hear.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:47 AM

i should of been more specific... i got this

http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-West-Co...ms-PB800-26505

and yes they are 12" subs.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:01 AM

1993 190E 2.6
i should of been more specific... i got this

http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-West-Co...ms-PB800-26505

and yes they are 12" subs.
That's way different than what I looked up.

Yeah that box looks like its going to take up almost all of the trunk. but, if you don't care, just drop the box in, face it to the rear, dynomat to your preference, and you should be good.

Now if you want to take those subs out of that box, and mount them to your deck, again, the gas tank, the acoustics, and with those subs in particular, I doubt they sound very clean hitting. So you have that as a noise also.

What ever happened to the purchase of the 190 and the sale of your current car?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:18 PM

I do have it in my trunk right now, you would be surprised on how much it DOESN'T rattle. I would love to mount them on the deck, but after the holidays and hundreds of dollars less.... that project needs to hold up for the moment. This is how i got it as of right now....

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...4/IMG_1921.jpg

i will take pics of the trunk soon. and the whole panel in the back.

Last edited by tnez190e; 12-29-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:24 PM

1993 190E 2.6
That is your rear deck as of now? Looks good. I would keep it.

If you have the subs in and they sound good, leave it. I do recommend taking out the first aid pack and putting something to cover it that is audio safe like maybe some screen from a screened in pool or something that wont drown out the audio. You get more bass in the cabin that way.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM

SL500
Well still trying to sell my current car to buy a 190.

i have now recieved three different bad checks from three different people.

some people just have to much time on there hands if they forge checks to try and basically steal a car.

the car i am trying to sell is a 1989 mazda mx6 gt it is turbo intercooled 2.2 litre motor. if anyone is interested my email is xrebelsldrx@aol.com. i can email pictures if there is anyone interested on here.

it is a very nice car i dont know why it hasnt sold yet.

i have found a few of the 6 cylinder 190's and hopefully will be able to buy one if my current car gets sold fast. i will still be planning on doing the same mods to the 6 cylinder it just seems like a better platform for improvement.

might hold off on a turbo and rebuild the motor if i get one make it a little bit higher compression and port the head then carry on to the F.I.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM3
Altho you are on the right track, you are going to blow those subs in a month unless you have a 8 ohm amp.
i think my subs did blow out.... was it because of the amp?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
if your selling your car on craigslist then the check thing happens non-stop. All the things that say they are interested in your car and are out of the country or on business is an auto-mated thing. If you notice the email will say your item or your car and not say the name of the specific car.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:40 PM

SL500
yea everytime i get one now i say i will only take cash in person or i ask them which car i have for sale.

i have one buyer that seems to be a realy person who is interested so maybe he will come through i have it listed on craiglist and on mx6.com

hopefully it will go and i can get me a 190 there some of the coolest looking cars. not to mention there a mbz
Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM

1993 190E 2.6
i think my subs did blow out.... was it because of the amp?
If your subs blew, you would know. Sounds like crap, not as much bass coming from them.

Was it the amp? I doubt it. If you had been running that amp for a while then I dont see why. Most likely its because you turned it up too loud.

If a sub has an RMS of 150watts. You are safe to play 150watts. If you push 180 watts, you probably wont blow them instantly, they may not even sound bad. But its like running your car just under redline for a few hours straight, eventually the motor will go.

Now if you have an 8ohm sub and a 4 ohm amp, that would be a cause. But I that is unlikely. Most subs are 4 ohms.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:12 PM

1993 190E 2.6
Well still trying to sell my current car to buy a 190.

i have now recieved three different bad checks from three different people.

some people just have to much time on there hands if they forge checks to try and basically steal a car.

the car i am trying to sell is a 1989 mazda mx6 gt it is turbo intercooled 2.2 litre motor. if anyone is interested my email is xrebelsldrx@aol.com. i can email pictures if there is anyone interested on here.

it is a very nice car i dont know why it hasnt sold yet.

i have found a few of the 6 cylinder 190's and hopefully will be able to buy one if my current car gets sold fast. i will still be planning on doing the same mods to the 6 cylinder it just seems like a better platform for improvement.

might hold off on a turbo and rebuild the motor if i get one make it a little bit higher compression and port the head then carry on to the F.I.
The 2.6 is nice. I love my car. Engine has 215k plus miles. Still runs ok.

I do suggest a 93. Anything before, in an automatic, will start you in 2nd gear so your off the line power is non existent. the 93 starts in 1st. There is a mod you can do to for the other years to make it start in 1st tho. its just a pain in the ***.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:24 PM

W203X2 w201X3 W208 W129
i have two 6 by 9s mounted side by side in the space where my first aid was and i have 4 off brand 10 in subs that bang pretty hard im going to put in a capacitor so i can turn it up without having my headlights dim. but if you dont have a 190e yet i would buy a 90's c class i had a c280 before my 190e my favorite car ever came stock with a ten speaker system 6 dick changer in the trunk go with that you wont have a gas tank in the way! ahha
Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 PM

They dont sound like crap... but they dont sound at all.... i havent checked to see if they are really blown out or what was the issue... they are probably still under the warranty so i will see if i can get a replacement and if not then i will use that amp for my front speakers.