Intake Manifold Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Intake Manifold Project

I ordered a brand new set of AMG Surge Tanks (Intake Manifolds) which I will be using for some experimentation.

These surge tanks are downstream from the compressor so once the air hits these pieces it has been compressed & heated/cooled and on its way to the combustion chambers.

As you can see from the pics below, they have a very rough cast finish. My intention is to send them to Extrude Hone to have the internals made smooth and then sent off to the coating company to have a thermal coating put on them (inside & out) to make them better resist heat soak.

Once that is complete, they will be tapped with my water jets and then installed in the car.

I am not sure if the Extrude Hone procedure will create an increase in power or not, but, the way I look at it, it will help keep the airflow as smooth and non-turbulent as possible.

I am sure that the thermal coating will help keep the IAT in check and should raise the efficiency another notch.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Once you pull them off,can you snap some pics of the intercooler and intake trakes?I'd like to see if theres room to run a nitrous spray bar onto(not into)the intake intercooler core area.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Cool. Powdercoat them and port match to the gasket. I think that's what the House of Power did to mine. You can polish up the AMG emblems too. I think those surge tanks are made of magnesium and are a soft metal. Adding a little color to the engine makes it look alot better. I think you will gain more power from porting the heads though. If you're gonna add H20/alcohol mist to lower IAT, you might as well install an IAT gauge. Just a thought.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
My intake manifolds are at ExtrudeHone right now.. They are looking into whether or not there will be a benefit of doing the Extrude Hone process on them. At first glance they believe they can increase the flow and area of the tubes by performing the process, but, I will know for sure by Friday.

The other issue was whether or not they had a good way of making the tooling to be able to hookup the intake manifolds to their machines in order to do this process at all.

Once they are done with their end, I am going to port-match the openings to the heads to make sure they are exact, and I will be doing a ceramic coating in high polish finish on them.

I'll post pics once I get them back if they end up doing the extrude hone on it.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:23 PM

I just don't see much bang for the buck there. I think your money would be better spent honing the exhaust ports in the heads instead.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Just wanted to update the existing thread I started a while ago.. After sitting at ExtrudeHone in Michigan for almost 2 months and them trying 3 times to keep the manifolds secured on a jig to put the material through it, they gave up and told me they couldnt successfully do the ExtrudeHone process on them.

I got them back and decided to proceed with my original gameplan and put the ExtrudeHone on the backburner until I can find someone that can do the work.. I may send them down to the main office in California and see if they can do better.

Right now the manifolds are on their way back to me from my coating company.. They applied a 2 stage coating to them.. The first stage is a high polish ceramic coating which insulates the manifolds from heat soak. The second stage will be a very unique translucent candy-apple red coating applied ontop of it (I chose the red because I think it will set off the carbon fiber airbox & other accessories that will eventually surround it). The raised AMG script will remain in the high luster ceramic coating but everything else will be candy apple red.

Here is a quick pic of the Stage 1 application that the coater sent me.. I'll take some nicer high res versions of the finished product when they arrive.. I should have them back by Friday.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
Hey Vrus.

Extrude hone doesn't really make power, its not intended to. It merely smoothends the surfaces for smoother airflow, you may pick up few HP (lik 2-3HP) but its not really designed to do that. If you get a ceramic coating it will definitely help with heat. Although if you really wanted to cure the heat problem instead of using a bandaid solution, ceramic coating the headers would be the best thing to do b/c they account for about 80-90% of underhood heat. hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks for the input!

I've already coated, cooled down, and wrapped just about everything I can think of on my car.. These were the only things left..

Originally Posted by E55 PWR
Hey Vrus.

Extrude hone doesn't really make power, its not intended to. It merely smoothends the surfaces for smoother airflow, you may pick up few HP (lik 2-3HP) but its not really designed to do that. If you get a ceramic coating it will definitely help with heat. Although if you really wanted to cure the heat problem instead of using a bandaid solution, ceramic coating the headers would be the best thing to do b/c they account for about 80-90% of underhood heat. hope that helps.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Here is what the finished product looks like.. All told it was $495USD to get this done...

The translucent candy-apple red is hard to appreciate in these pics.. they look 10x better in person!! Imagine these beauties surrounded with Carbon fiber airbox, engine cover & intake tubes!!! That's what my engine bay will look like...

Old 02-24-2007, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Nice... I like...
Old 02-24-2007, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Nice ! I WANT !!!
Old 02-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
Freaking work of art.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

looks sweet bro! course i prefer polished
Old 02-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Banned

German
OMFG!!!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:06 PM

If you don't mind saying who did the coating for you? Thanks!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:56 PM

2006 E55
[QUOTE=vrus;2039794]Here is what the finished product looks like.. All told it was $495USD to get this done...

The translucent candy-apple red is hard to appreciate in these pics.. they look 10x better in person!! Imagine these beauties surrounded with Carbon fiber airbox, engine cover & intake tubes!!! That's what my engine bay will look like...

VERY NICE!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Oooohhhh. Shiny. Whats the red? like a tinted ceramic clear coat??

Any luck on the extrude hone?? I would think those pieces could be done......but then again I don't work for extrude hone.

Sent you a reply on the head work PM you sent me a month ago, I was cleaning out the box today.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Vader: Your manifolds are on the way to the coating company. They will try to get them completed before the weekend. .. I put them up against the CF airbox and man do they look sweet together!!!

-------------------------------------
Thanks guys!

These manifolds are done in a very unique way.. Like I said in a previous post, the base coat is a high polish ceramic coating.. The top coat is a translucent candy-apple red.. To really appreciate the look, you have to see them during the day with the sun reflecting off of them.

So, they dont just look pretty, they are functional too!!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Oh yeah.. I am doing my valve covers in a matching finish and looking for some other parts to do also... Gonna try and spice up the engine bay a bit.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Originally Posted by vrus
Oh yeah.. I am doing my valve covers in a matching finish and looking for some other parts to do also... Gonna try and spice up the engine bay a bit.
I think the intakes will be just enough to set off the compartment. You practically need a shovel to see the VC's !!!