W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes position on selling cars in accidents...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G55
Mercedes position on selling cars in accidents...

...what is it?

Does Mercedes sell CPO cars that have been in accidents? I'm looking at a G55 and Carfax has an accident indicator...
Old 10-14-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 SL550 - Aegean Blue; 2008 E63 Wagon - Iridium Silver
Ask them?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:30 PM

G55
Originally Posted by pcalver
Ask them?
Hey thanks! I guess this board should just shut down, since you must be able to ask Mercedes about everything anyways!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
They'll sell you anything. Did they disclose that it was when you inquired or did you have to find out on your own?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:33 PM

G55
They did not disclose anything, I found it on my own...in FACT they claim that it's accident free.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
A friend bought an E500 from a dealership used and was told it was accident free. He wondered why his windshield didn't have the MB sticker on it. I told him those come from the factory and if it's replaced it won't have it. He pulled a carfax and found it was in an accident. Can't even trust a dealership.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:45 PM

G55
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
A friend bought an E500 from a dealership used and was told it was accident free. He wondered why his windshield didn't have the MB sticker on it. I told him those come from the factory and if it's replaced it won't have it. He pulled a carfax and found it was in an accident. Can't even trust a dealership.
Was it CPO?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by YSP KING
Was it CPO?
I'm not sure if it was or not. I never asked.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:50 PM

G55
I just find it awkward that they would "certify" a car that has an accident report.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
I just find it awkward that they would "certify" a car that has an accident report.
A dealership would sell you a pile of dog crap and call it certified premium post-processed dog food and charge you a markup for it.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:03 PM

G55
A dealership would sell you a pile of dog crap and call it certified premium post-processed dog food and charge you a markup for it.
lol I guess so.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:05 PM

Hey thanks! I guess this board should just shut down, since you must be able to ask Mercedes about everything anyways!
No, but you didn't indicate that you had done any leg work on finding out what the policy was, then showed up here and asked a bunch of folks who own the cars what the corporate policy was. Should I ask you what your doctor's policy is on meals before surgery?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:20 PM

No, I think that would actually be you, being lazy and not knowing what you are buying from a dealer and what their policies are. I think that lack of initiative and attention to detail in your own transaction says volumes about you, not me.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Some insight about selling an accident-car !!!!

I enquired about this a couple of years back and got a "gray" answer. So this may be true or may not, but according to my sales manager at my local dealership, all Mercedes dealers must CPO every Mercedes vehicle they sell (unless it has over 100,000 miles). So if it has any mileage lower than 100,000 miles, it has to get CPOed. And according to him a CPO car is not only certified, it is guaranteed to be accident free, fraud free (no odometer tampering, not stolen, etc....)

However, he said that it is still possible for a car to get sold as a CPO and have been in an accident; mainly when the dealer does NOT know that the car has been in an accident at the time of sale or if the dealer knows the car was indeed involved in an accident and explicitly states that in the contract along with a statement that the car was "certifably" repaired.

I think in a case where the dealer sells a car without knowledge of an accident and the customer finds out later the car was in an accident, he/she can take the car back to the selling dealer, along with the documented proof of the accident, then both parties (in good faith) would work something out. If the dealer refuses, then report them to the DMV.

Most dealers around here have a CARFAX account and usually prints out a CARFAX history for the customer to see before buying the car.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:59 PM

G55
Thanks for the reply. (And not being a jerk, like other people)

This is the type of answer I was looking for...someone with experience in the situation.

The accident occured in 2003. It's actually kind of funny, the original owner had it for 1 Month before the accident and it was bought brand new- then 3 months later it was dealer inventory again.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:08 PM

G55
For the record, I DID try to do my own research prior to posting. (I can't believe I have to disclaim that) The forum IS a research tool itself.

I DID check their website, and couldn't find anything. It goes on and on about what they check (engine, suspension, etc) but nothing about accidents. It DOES mention Identifiable Structural Damage. That's it. I could be missing it, that's why I ask.

Last edited by otoupalik; 10-15-2007 at 12:31 AM. Reason: language
Old 10-14-2007, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
My guess is that they're intentionally vague about it in writing, just to cover their asses. I can't help you with the official word - an e-mail or call to MB Customer Service might get you a little more info, though.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
CPO requirements:
1. less than 6 model years old
2. less than 75k miles. must perform compression check if over 60k miles
3. no identifiable structural damage present or evidence of repair
4. no odometer issues
5. No internal MB issues (status 8)

Not every car on the used lot HAS to be certified, its up to the dealer. As for accident damage. A carfax is required to be supplied to the customer. If there is an incident on the carfax its up to the guy certifying the car if it can be certified, as long as there is NO frame damage or repair evidence visible.

Personally I will only certify a car that was repaired properly and an excellent job was done, on a minor collision. MB parts must be used. Paint must look factory. No bondo. Paint depth should be close to original. No adjoining panel repairs. If it doesn't match those criteria I WILL NOT sign off on it and my dealer will not sell the vehicle. I cannot say the same for other dealers and have personally seen CPO'd cars that were very poorly repaired.

FYI...I turned away 3 vehicles last week that ALL had clean Carfax reports, but had been wrecked and poorly repaired. Carfax is a joke.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:39 PM

G55
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
CPO requirements:
1. less than 6 model years old
2. less than 75k miles. must perform compression check if over 60k miles
3. no identifiable structural damage present or evidence of repair
4. no odometer issues
5. No internal MB issues (status 8)

Not every car on the used lot HAS to be certified, its up to the dealer. As for accident damage. A carfax is required to be supplied to the customer. If there is an incident on the carfax its up to the guy certifying the car if it can be certified, as long as there is NO frame damage or repair evidence visible.

Personally I will only certify a car that was repaired properly and an excellent job was done, on a minor collision. MB parts must be used. Paint must look factory. No bondo. Paint depth should be close to original. No adjoining panel repairs. If it doesn't match those criteria I WILL NOT sign off on it and my dealer will not sell the vehicle. I cannot say the same for other dealers and have personally seen CPO'd cars that were very poorly repaired.

FYI...I turned away 3 vehicles last week that ALL had clean Carfax reports, but had been wrecked and poorly repaired. Carfax is a joke.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Well, the Carfax report says front end collision. Could be minor, I guess. It provides the accident report, so I emailed the state police to try to get a copy of the accident report.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by WayneE
Relax. He suggested you ask, that's all. We can all guess or pass on what we've heard, but getting it from the horse's mouth is the best way for you to know what you're going to get.

And here in MD, dealer****s are closed on Sundays, too. Have you called MB Customer Service (or checked their website) to inquire about CPO cars and their official corporate policy on accidents?

+1

Relax.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:10 PM

2008 SLK, 2006 Cadillac SRX, 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible
I purchased a 2001 E-320 Wagon several years ago that was a CPO vehicle. It obviously had minor body damage to the right rear quarter panel as evidenced by an extra hole in the door jamb that was used to pick the damage and then a body plug was put in the new hole. The Carfax was clean. As far as the Carfax's go it's too bad that the paper that they're printed on is too coarse because about all they're good for is toilet paper.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
...what is it?

Does Mercedes sell CPO cars that have been in accidents? I'm looking at a G55 and Carfax has an accident indicator...
Mercedes Benz sells new cars, most dealers handle the used vehicles on their own. The CPO means little, and is as it states, Certified Pre Owned. I know the policy differs from dealer to dealer. It is totally up to the buyer to check out what ever vehicle they are buying. If you think that a CPO car is worth more than a non CPO car, your dealer has infected you already.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 AM

G55
Wow...I'm "on probation" now because of this thread.

Looks like the little schoolgirl ran to the teacher.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
+1. MB Calabasas tried to sell me a CPO W210 E55 years back that was claimed to be a "creampuff" and only because I know what to look for, I could tell it had pretty major front end work. The salesman basically tried to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about, and it could not have been wrecked because it was a Starmarked CPO car, blah, blah, blah.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Diff to classify an accident. Bent a bumper , required respray, had to weld in panels, chassis needed straightening ... sheesh where do you draw the line?

Here app MB waranty the car if its been repaired by an apointed MB repairshop ... they never mention the extent of the repair tho... which is kinda crucial.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes position on selling cars in accidents...