E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Service D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service D

Just got a call back from my service advisor after doing a Service D (approx 20k miles). Says I need new rear brake pads ($350) and I need to replace one tire that has a bubble in it ($250). I know I may be opening myself up to flames here but, doesn't replacing a single crappy contintental tire @ $250 seem a bit much? And how is it that my rear pads need replacing at 20k miles, isn't that a little too soon? The SA said that it is because of the traction control. Can anyone offer any input?

Rob
Old 11-12-2004, 03:05 PM

W211 & Q7
doesn't replacing a single crappy contintental tire @ $250 seem a bit much?
Are you sure this price is for only one tire, not four of them?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I had to replace a single Michellin tire due to a flat. It was $225 + 13 shipping (from Tire Rack...a good fair price) + 28 to mount & balance locally & button everything up back in the trunk. I guess its those speed rated tires...
Old 11-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by rrubino
Just got a call back from my service advisor after doing a Service D (approx 20k miles). Says I need new rear brake pads ($350) and I need to replace one tire that has a bubble in it ($250). And how is it that my rear pads need replacing at 20k miles, isn't that a little too soon? Rob
(1) Brake pads. Not uncommon, I replaced rear pads @ 19,500. However, my dealer’s cost came in @ half your quote of $350.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/88245-just-quick-question-all-brakes.html

(2) Tire. I agree with Barry. See what Tire Rack has to offer and have the tire replaced locally aside from your dealer. Personally, I would locate a shop that utilizes the Hunter GSP9700 – the same mounting equipment used by your dealer.

http://www.tirerack.com
http://209.176.154.132/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 11-12-2004, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
does the $350 include pads & rotors??? Otherwise it sounds steep

I posted a question about brakes on a thread not long ago. I was curious because some people said that the rear pads are wearing before the front? Could that be?

I heard that it is not the traction control (unless you are always spinning out to the point he brakes turn on to stop the rear wheels from spinning out). I have a 4 Matic and other people who have 4 Matics also had to replace the rear pads first. In a 4 matic, I don’t see that the traction control would only wear the rear. The power distribution is excellent and it rarely spins only the rear tires out.

The reason that the rear wears out (so I hear) is that the SBC distributes more power to the rear brakes under normal braking. I think that I heard that it reaches 50% of the braking power goes to the rear! As you can also see the rear pads and rotors are also smaller. This means that they must wear sooner in some cases. Strange ha?

As per the tire. How could he tell you to only change one tire! If you do go ahead and only buy one, buy it at the tirerack and have them shave off treat so that the new tire has the same tread depth as the others. It is not a good idea to have different diameter tires on these cars. It can compromise performance, the ABS, ESP and the traction control.

Tell us what the SA says.

Steve Aguirre

Last edited by SAguirre; 11-12-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Almost a Member!

E500 Sport Wagon and Sl500
Question service D????

I will have to read about the service codes....but my 2004 E500 Wagon has 18,000 miles and is calling for service C in 5200 miles. Service B was at aprx 12500 miles. Service D at 20000 miles as mentioned above does not seem to be inline with my car. Does the computer detect the type of usage? ie: highway vs. city? # brake applications, etc.? My Contis are shot.....belts slipped in two of them, and VERY noisey now! I plan to put snows on in a few weeks, toss the Contis and get new wheels and tires in the Spring. Is anyone selling their sport wheels?
Old 11-12-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
The "Letters" that are due do NOT indicate what service is to be performed, as an A or B service on the other models. Service A through H is only indicative of how long it should take to perform the service so you can decide to wait or get a loaner or whatever. A being one hour, B being two hours, so forth and so on. There is a menu that will list the service items due in the cluster, and its also accessible via the Laptop the dealership has.
The computer is constantly calculating what is due, based upon a number of inputs.... You absolutely cannot go by whatever the cluster says is due UNTIL it flashes the service due message upon starting the car. The services it has listed will constantly change, until the car is actually due for service. A service letter with a "+" after it means the car will require a brake check, and most likely brakes.

Last edited by saturnstyl; 11-12-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Almost a Member!

E500 Sport Wagon and Sl500
Thanks Saturnstyl......WOW, was I off base on this one. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of my car but missed this one completely. I just went to the out to the car to get the manual......my wife thinks I am having an affair in the garage!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Originally Posted by rrubino
Just got a call back from my service advisor after doing a Service D (approx 20k miles). Says I need new rear brake pads ($350) and I need to replace one tire that has a bubble in it ($250). I know I may be opening myself up to flames here but, doesn't replacing a single crappy contintental tire @ $250 seem a bit much? And how is it that my rear pads need replacing at 20k miles, isn't that a little too soon? The SA said that it is because of the traction control. Can anyone offer any input?

Rob
I JUST replaced all four Conti's on my 03 E. $108 a piece via tire rack. With shipping, tax, install, balance, etc. it came to $500 for all four. So yeah, $250 for one is a bit steep. PS--MB Stealership also charged me $350 for ALL FOUR brakes at my last service (40,000 mile). FWIW.

Oh, and BTW, the answer to why your rear pads wear down so much faster than your front pads can be explained in three words:

"Your right foot."

EDJ
Old 11-13-2004, 02:09 AM

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
SAguirre is right. Don't replace just one tire. However instead of shaving off the tread on a new tire to match the older tires, why not swap the spare onto the other side of the new tire? If your spare tires is the same size and type as the new replacement, you might be able to get two new tires on for the price of one. If so, then you would put the old tire into the trunk as a spare tire. Just a thought.