Notices
AMG GT The GT/GT S is the second sports car developed entirely in-house by Mercedes-AMG. Its front mid-engine design with a rear transaxle, the use of aluminium lightweight construction and its newly developed AMG 4.0-liter V8 biturbo engine underscores the hallmark of AMG driving performance.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemons Cars

Old 03-09-2019, 03:11 PM
APJ

AMG GTs
Lemons Cars

Hello all, I am looking to get into a GTs and when searching on the normal internet sales sites (cargurus, autotrader, etc.) there seems to be a handful that have been reported as Lemons. Is this an issue with the 2016 model?

The interesting thing is that they are being listed and not at that much of a discount.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:22 PM

Lexus Rx350
I find it hard to believe they are listed as “ Lemons” . Where are these listings?

most of the cars listed are low mileage. Most car guys are itching to dump their new acquisitions before their *** has imprinted into the seat. As low mileage cars, they are not given away for free.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:32 PM
APJ

AMG GTs
Originally Posted by thecutter64 View Post
I find it hard to believe they are listed as “ Lemons” . Where are these listings?

most of the cars listed are low mileage. Most car guys are itching to dump their new acquisitions before their *** has imprinted into the seat. As low mileage cars, they are not given away for free.
go to cargurus.com. Search nationwide for AMG. Sort by “lowest price first” then look at the first few. If you scroll down the CARFAX indicates Lemons.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:41 PM

MB
Keep in mind that this new cars are sold to people that many times turn crazy for little things, high profile customers that dealers want to keep as customers forever, make things easy for them. Dealer should disclose all problems.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:29 PM

AMG GT S Edition 1
I did notice this too during my search. They're not listed as lemons right off the bat. But several on the bottom end of pricing are lemons when you check the carfax.
My local dealer says it usually doesn't involve major issues. Personally I still wouldn't buy one due to resale but it seems they were small issues.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:29 PM
APJ

AMG GTs
Do you think that a dealer would run a vin to see the issues even if they don’t have the car on the lot?
Old 03-11-2019, 11:12 AM

AMG GT S Edition 1
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Do you think that a dealer would run a vin to see the issues even if they don’t have the car on the lot?
Any smart dealer will run the VIN and do some research on the car. They know it's a huge risk to them to aquire a car with a red flag. They also look for things for leverage to aquire the car as cheap as possible.
As for the lemon cars, I noticed it was never a MB dealer that had lemon cars on the lot. It was always a small dealership that listed them and didn't mention the lemon title right off the bat. One I was dealing with (small Florida dealer) tried selling the car for a clean title price. Didn't initially disclose it to me and even used the term "clean title". I had to point it out on the carfax and he said clean carfax to him means no accidents. Do your due diligence. Although some of the lemon cars are not bad cars and it may be the owners being a pain for every small thing, it would still be a tall order to try and sell down the road.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:27 AM

2018 GT
Let me remind my fellow Californians this about our state's Lemon Law: California has very protective Lemon Law, probably the most consumer-oriented such laws in the United States. If you want to take advantage of the California Lemon Law, your car had to have been bought in California from a California dealer. (Cummins, Inc. v. Superior Court, 36 Cal.4th 478, 30 Cal.Rptr.3d 823, 115 P.3d 98 (2005))

The AMG GT seems to be pretty trouble-free, but there are lemons out there. Forewarned is forearmed.
The Following User Says Thank You to MalibuScott For This Useful Post:
California John (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E,E,CL,C,CLK,ML,S,GLK,others...
From what I have been told by many the AMG GT's had issues when they first came around.