Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

c280 tape to cd radio swap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c280 tape to cd radio swap?

i have a 1997 c280 and wanted to change the stock tape radio to an original MB CD radio. are there any interchangeable cd radios that will fit in my car so that i can just remove the tape player and plug in the cd player?? i have the factory bose system that i think sounds great and i'm worried that if i replace the tape player with an aftermarket unit, it will make the quality of the sound suffer. any suggestions??

did any 1997 c280's come with a cd radio as an option from the dealer?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:47 PM

'95 S500C, '96 C36, '86 190E, '72 280SEL
Your stock unit supports a CD changer, which would be mounted in the trunk. I believe your car is pre-wired for it. Pick up a changer, and you'll have the best of both worlds tape and CD. You can also go a step further, and get a MP3 changer. I have seen units of both types on eBay with some frequency.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:38 PM

i already have the changer in the trunk. but i listen to alot of cd's and hate having to go to the trunk to change the cd's. this way icould have my fav. cd's in the trunk and the flavor of the moment within reach. and does anyone really listen to tapes anymore?? :p
Old 03-19-2005, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
get a volkswagen mounting unit dealy, and you can install any regular cd player as your headunit. it sounds fine to me, except at low volumes its a little fuzzy....no biggie though. the bose speakers have a different impedence/resistance than regular speakers and following V = IR, this means I = V/R so as R (resistance) becomes lower, the intensity increases...but i can turn my eclipse deck all the way up and my speakers don't blow, so you should be fine. circuit city didn't want to take the chance with the install, but sound advice/tweeter knew that things would be fine and went ahead. i don't think you'll still be able to use your cd changer in the trunk, but there might be some adapters since the changer is a modified alpine i think
Old 03-19-2005, 08:45 PM

yes i think it is an alpine. and thats the reason im looking to see if there are any MB radios that will be a dirct replacement. i've done it to a few of my previous cars. my ford explorer and honda civic both had tape decks and i found cd players from newer models that were a direct swap. wiring harness, and all. all i did was remove the old and plugged in the new. thats it. i'm hoping to find the same for my benz.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Yes there are direct replacement CD in-dash players from Mercedes (and Becker), You can get some from the dealership (which will be expensive) or you can find a place that sells them (like MBenzNL). If you want to keep your existing CD changer, that will narrow your choices somewhat as most of the newer in-dash CD players work only with fibre optic CD changers. There are some that do work with the older style changers.

And, just using an adapter with your Bose system isn't quite as easy as people make it out to be. The Bose system in a 1998 CLK is quite a bit different from a 1997 W202, and you may end up with a lot of hiss if you just wire it up as explained.

-s-
Old 03-19-2005, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
i got my advice from some other guys in the W202 section...i'll see if i can find the post. they got it to work fine with the VW harness. the CD player you're looking for is called the "Audio 10." i checked ebay and ebay germany, but they only have the newer version with fiber optic connections...the one you're looking for has a cd slot at the top and several circular buttons along the bottom. they had em selling a year or two ago, but i dunno what happened - maybe MBenzNL can get an older one
Old 03-19-2005, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
i guess make sure to have a line level converter handy before you do the job - https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w202/76203-dash-kit-aftermarket-radio.html see post #9
Old 06-13-2005, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
This might be able to work...not sure - https://mbworld.org/forums/classifieds/108788-sale-becker-mb-oem-4602-radio.html#post1158550