Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Verizon won't activate my MB Timeport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verizon won't activate my MB Timeport

Verizon refuses to activate a replacement MB Motorola Timeport.

I broke my old Motorola TimePort handset from my '01 C320. Bought a replacement on Ebay. (Same exact phone. Yes, it's the MB branded unit).

Called Verizon Wireless to activate the phone and they refused! Service rep is telling me the phone is too old and doesn't have GPS so they will no longer activate it.

I'm assuming this means that anyone who buys our used Benz's with the phone option would not be able to activate the phone either.

So, now I have an expensive hands free phone system in my car I can no longer use.

Anybody else had this problem? Anything I can do about this?

Mykle
'01 C320
Old 12-27-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
You need to get a Mikbox to supplement your existing system. My 2002 E55 had the Timeport also and 2 months ago I upgraded to a Verizon Motorola E815 by using the Mikbox. I was able to maintain all the function of the factory system. Unfortunately Verizon will not activate the older phone and you are stuck. Go to www.mikbox.com and see if the their kit will fit your car.

John
Old 12-27-2005, 03:04 PM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Another vote for the e815 and mikbox. You will also need a cradle, Mik can hook you up on that too. Should take less than an hour to install. The best news is that you won't need a mercedes specific phone anymore, any e815 (and many others) will work.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:38 AM

Thanks!

Thanks folks. It looks impressive. I'll give it a try.
It'll be nice not to be stuck with old technology.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:21 PM
ON PROBATION

Nice! Thanks guys.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by velvet fog
Another vote for the e815 and mikbox. You will also need a cradle, Mik can hook you up on that too. Should take less than an hour to install. The best news is that you won't need a mercedes specific phone anymore, any e815 (and many others) will work.
With the cost of the Mikbox, the cradle, and the e815 you are looking at $500. Do you all think it is worth $500 for the integration with the car? I could get a bluetooth earpiece for my wife for like $50.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:09 AM

not so much $

BigBadVR4, For me I've got to get a new phone anyway. And my car already had the phone option. I'd kinda miss not having it.

It's not that I use the phone in the car very often. With the ear piece, I'd have to find it, hope it's battery was charged, stick it on my ear and try to answer the phone all in 4 rings. ('cause I'm not going to be one of those guys walking around with that thing stuck in my ear all the time).

And it's not that I'm a bad driver, but, you wouldn't want to be on the same highway with me if I were useing a non-handsfree phone :-)
Old 12-29-2005, 10:34 AM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Question

Originally Posted by BigBadVR4
With the cost of the Mikbox, the cradle, and the e815 you are looking at $500. Do you all think it is worth $500 for the integration with the car? I could get a bluetooth earpiece for my wife for like $50.
I was a new subscriber with verizon so the phone was free. I think it's worth it, but that is a judgement call only you can make. I don't like the StarTrek geek look of any headset so I don't use them. Being able to answer and adjust volume without taking my hands off the wheel is a big plus in my book.

The phone charges when it is in the cradle and it also mutes the stereo on incoming calls. I used to miss calls because I had the music turned up.

Also, my wife has an e815 also so she can just drop her phone in the cradle when she drives my car.

Last edited by velvet fog; 12-29-2005 at 10:37 AM.