Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

CAR PC in a Benz! Is it Possible? VERY MUCH SO!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Thumbs up CAR PC in a Benz! Is it Possible? VERY MUCH SO!

CLK 430 CAR PC project finally complete! With Pics!

Finally finished my CAR PC project for the 430

Currently I have Intergrated in the CLK...

- 7" touch screen monitor intergrated in the dash that controls the entire system. (Photos Below)

- 3000 + mp3's to choose from, all organized by album/artist
- 80 + Movies Integrated (when I have time I'll add more)
- Option of Playing DVD's or CD's (slimline DVD/CD-RW drive)
- GPS Navigation with Voice prompts, speed Alerts, and all the other options a GPS system would have. GPS receiver mounted on dash in corner picks up signals.
- Bluetooth capabilities
- In Car Internet access, with web browser and onscreen keyboard.
- Phonecontrol.net database which sync's up with my motorola phone via bluetooth. It reads my address book, phone battery life and signal quality. Allows me to receive incoming calls through the car computer. Displays callers photo, phone number, and speaks name through car speakers. I can also make phone calls by clicking on a persons name from address book, or there is a manual dial pad on the
screen. Incoming calls can be transfered to the actual phone by pushing a button, or I can choose to hear through car speakers and speak through a microphone. SMS (Text messeging) can't get it to work yet.

- Mixer, that allows me to adjust bass, treble, volume.
- USB hub, which allows me to connect cameras, IPOD's, optional mouse, keyboard...etc

Working on....

- Connecting rear view cam so when car goes in reverse image is displayed on screen. Everything works, but I can't find a good place to mount the camera.

- XM RADIO - I'm still contemplating this because I rarely listen to the radio. So I might just scrap this idea.

- GPS online tracking, allows me to track my car's GPS signal online with detailed views and maps. (Then I can see where the wife goes when she burns out all my $2.49 gas..lol j/k) This is an online service I need to sign up for when they complete beta testing.

How car PC system works...

Well, when I turn the ignition key the system boots up in about 10 seconds. It pulls up my front end program which easily allows me to control all the features mentioned above via the touchscreen monitor (pics below)

At that point I can choose between MUSIC, MOVIES, GPS, RADIO, INTERNET, WEATHER...etc by clicking on the appropriate button or by verbally speaking the
command to the system. (IE. "Load GPS") I don't use the voice command system because it's not 100% stable yet.

When I turn my key off and leave the car, the system shuts down automatically in 30 seconds and doesn't resume again until key is inserted in ignition.

The actual computer is about the size of an amplifier and the motherboard inside it is the size of a dvd case. Hardware includes, 40gb laptop hard drive, 512 mb memory, with a 1ghz processor. Basically it's a standard windows based PC, but made
for use as a car PC. I have my pc mounted in the trunk behind rear passenger seat. Doesn't take up any space at all (pics below)

How about sound....

Sound is integrated through my factory speakers. At first I used the MBNZ system and connected it through a FM modulator. This allowed me to turn to 89.9 and my sound would come through my factory speakers. Volume can be controlled through MBNZ
radio or through frontend program. Just recently I changed out the Mercedes radio and put in a aftermarket radio and just used the AUX input for sound. The sound quality is alot better. Had to send radio back because it ws defective, so I am temporarily using the MBNZ system again. Changing out factory door speakers with Infinity reference and KAPPA series this week.

The Monitor...

The monitor is a 7" touchscreen VGA monitor which connects to any type of PC. It also has RCA inputs and 2 more video modes in case I wanted to display other video sources on the screen like an xbox, video camera...etc

I'm glad to finally be done working on the project, and I'm sure my wife is even happier. This is what the future holds for in car entertainment. Having this system is great and it makes things so much easier. Looking forward to taking a few road trips now...lol In a couple of years many of the luxury cars will have systems simular to this. With a CAR PC, the possibilities are endless. I'm barely scratching the surface. I think this would be a great challenge for any car enthusiast.

I've only had my 430 a little over a month and this was one of the first things I added. I wanted to be different and do something no one had done in a 430. I also added the Chrome headlight rings, Cluster Rings, Clear Side Makers with (Xenon Bulbs), Replaced Halogens with Super white h7's and h3's for the fogs. Waiting on my h6w's to come so I can see how they look. I've hear many horror stories on the
h6w's....lol

In the summer I'm going to get the H&R Cup Kit and lower it with some 19" rims with Camber kits. Thats about it my friends. If you have any questions regarding the car pc system for your ride, feel free to ask.

jtbeche came down in his really tight black CLK to check out the system this past Friday. Really nice guy, can come by anytime. He has some really nice mods. I'm sure in the near future he'll be adding a CAR PC and I'd be glad to help him.

Now for the Photos....

Photos of my Car

Photos of Monitor Integration

Photos of my CAR PC mounted in trunk

Sorry pictures are the best quality, but it'll do.
Scroll down for photos of Frontend Programs that controls everything.

Ok here are the photos of the Frontend program that controls everything...

Loading Screen

Main Selection Screen

Mp3 Selection Screen

In Car Internet Screen (Checking out the forums)

GPS Navigation Screen

Choose an Albums Screen

Mixer

Onscreen Keyboard

questions or comments? Kornellklloyd@yahoo.com

Last edited by bnzcoupe; 01-16-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
How is the Internet link established, a long spool of CAT5 cable in the trunk?

Does the system disable display of movies while the vehicle is moving?

Has popping a small hole through the license plate been considered for the rear view camera? My guess is that a ¼" color CCD security camera is being considered for providing this image.

Looks very nice.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 C32, 1999 E320 Wagon
Impressive

Did you develop the front end program or is it aftermarket?

Where is the USB hub located? Maybe you could do a trackball mouse mount on the center console.

Power supply?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:02 AM

2004 E55
Thank you very much,

1. The internet link is established from my Cell phone via blue tooth. I have a usb Dongle connected to my usb port on the PC which allows the computer to use my phone as a modem.

2. Yes the system plays movies while in motion. It's free from any limitations

I think that camera idea is great, I will look into that.

The program is aftermarket and Free. Go to fluxmedia dot net.

4. USB Hub is located in armrest console. I really don't need the trackball being that everything is touch screen. I do have a small mouse that I connect via usb port when I need to make some change to windows..

Check out mp3car dot com many people hav installed carpcs
Old 01-17-2006, 09:10 AM

What is the computer, ie. make, model etc.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 C32, 1999 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by bnzcoupe
Thank you very much,

1. The internet link is established from my Cell phone via blue tooth. I have a usb Dongle connected to my usb port on the PC which allows the computer to use my phone as a modem.

2. Yes the system plays movies while in motion. It's free from any limitations

I think that camera idea is great, I will look into that.

The program is aftermarket and Free. Go to fluxmedia dot net.

4. USB Hub is located in armrest console. I really don't need the trackball being that everything is touch screen. I do have a small mouse that I connect via usb port when I need to make some change to windows..

Check out mp3car dot com many people hav installed carpcs

The bluetooth connection limits you to whatever data capability your cell phone has (GPRS, EDGE, etc.) If you throw a wireless card in the computer you can sit in your garage and download mp3s and movies straight from your home network. You could also get a wireless signal in the parking lot of a coffee shop or something.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Have to admit that your setup is pretty damn impressive kick *** job!
Old 01-26-2006, 11:15 AM

1995-E320 Coupe
where did you get the tuch-screen (monitor) from?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Wow I didn't get this much attention when I did mine! Good job, it looks very good. I went flip out monitor so I could restore it to factory when I sell the car. I use Destinator/Map Monkey for GPS and Road Runner as my front end software. I have yet to customize my skin for it. I went ahead and replaced my head unit cause I hate FM modulation. The sound quality is much better with the aftermarket deck aux-in. If you wanted to go this route, you could easily. Buy a Blaupunkt deck, cause it plugs right into the factory harness and makes the Bose sound WAY better. I went ahead and put a 12" JL Audio in the trunk to improve the bass and have been very happy with it.

Last edited by davis449; 01-26-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C230 SS
Originally Posted by wsscott
What is the computer, ie. make, model etc.

COPIED FROM THE ORIGINAL POST:
The actual computer is about the size of an amplifier and the motherboard inside it is the size of a dvd case. Hardware includes, 40gb laptop hard drive, 512 mb memory, with a 1ghz processor. Basically it's a standard windows based PC, but made
for use as a car PC. I have my pc mounted in the trunk behind rear passenger seat. Doesn't take up any space at all (pics below)
Old 01-27-2006, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
This is impressive.

This is also the kind of thing that MB should be trying to do if they want their telematics to lead the field. Your system not only provides tremendous capability as it is, but also has flexibility so that even after installation it can be adapted to newer technologies.

My bet is that it didn't cost you more than purchase and installation of COMAND would have.

Wake up, Mercedes.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The fact that I had a laptop made a big differrence in the price. Mine ran me around $800 for the touchscreen and all the misc. hardware. I bet his ran him at least $1300 or so with all the hardware. I prefer the laptop route to the carPC route because it simplifies startup and shutdown procewdure with a battery buffer present. You don't have to have a separate component that control the startup and shutdown automatically for you. You are most certainly right about the cost vs COMAND purchase and installtion.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:00 AM

2004 E55
Talking Here is what you need to Complete this setup

Sorry about the delay in response guys, I was on Vacation in FL. Thank you for all the compliments.

davis449, I actually had the new Lilliput Flip monitor in when I first did my install. It made things alot easier than going custom. However, after 2 weeks of use, the screen motor went out and it would no longer flip up. So I sent it back and got the standard 7" lilliput touchscreen. As far as sound, I was using my factory stereo with a FM modulator, but I later decided to go with a panasonic head unit with AUX in and it sound 100% better.

I spent a little more than $1,000.00 for my setup. Which is alot let than the command system. With unlimited capabilities. For those of you who are interested, I created a post with everything you need to purchase. I even created link for you to go directly and buy what you need.

There are 1000's of people doing this in all types of cars, from Neons to Bmw's
Check out mp3car dot com

Let me know if you need some help. kornellklloyd@yahoo.com

Here is what you need...

What you need to complete your CARPC Setup

Hardware

1. CARPC System - I used VoomPC (pic below)

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.101/it.A/id.399/.f

Power Supply Extender
http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.20/it.A/id.414/.f

Laptop Hardrive Adapter
http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.20/it.A/id.233/.f

You will need both of these. So DO NOT forget to order them when you get your VoomPC. All on the same website.

2. 256mb - 1gb DDR266 (pc 2100) computer memory
Can find on ebay (CARPC can hold up to 1gb, I personally have 512mb)

3. 2.5 Laptop Hard Drive (Amount of Gigabite's is your choice) I have 40gb. Look on ebay for this.

4. Power Cables to power the PC, needs (Power +, Ground -, Remote)
I just grabbed a cheap amp wiring kit.

5. CD or DVD Rom Drive (Slim version) like the kind found in laptops.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=slim+usb+dvd+drive&categor y0=

5. Lilliput 7" touchscreen Monitor, you can get the kind I use or the motorized kind. Going motorized makes install alot easier.

Non Motorized (The kind I have)

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.101/it.A/id.401/.f

Motorized Version

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/search.motorized/.f

Optional Stuff you may want to add....

1. GPS Navigation

You need a GPS receiver

Globalsat Bu-353 GPS Receiver (Mounts on Dash)
http://www.gogocity.com/product_details.asp?dept_id=802&pf_id=C105BR-355

USB to Serial Cable (A Must!) will not work without it.

http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=3

GPS iGuidance v 2.1 Software (Ebay) Don't spend more than $100.00 on this.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=iguidance&category0=

2. Internet Access

You can connect 2 ways, one being via bluetooth.
* Must have bluetooth compatible phone.

Or you can do it via usb serial cable. You can find this cable at radio shack or online. Just tell them you are trying to connect your PC to your phone.

Bluetooth Method

You will need your blue tooth phone and a USB Dongle to connect to your usb port (I use D-link dbt-120) model

You can find that here...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=dbt-120&category0=

3. Phonecontrol.net

"Allows you to make and receive calls through your CARPC"

To connect your phone to your PC you will need a usb bluetooth dongle (*Bluetooth compatible phone only) or a usb serial cable. Both pieces are mentioned in Internet Access option.

Software needed Phonecontrol.net database

Found here http://www.phoco.net

Miscellaneous Stuff you will need to complete set up

1. Female to male 10' VGA Cable - (needed to connect monitor to CARPC in trunk) Looks like

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Cables-to-Go-Ultima-VGA-extender-HD-15-M-HD-15_W0QQitemZ8743068837QQcategoryZ51050QQssPageName ZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. RCA Audio Cables 10' - (Needed to connect sound from PC to AUX input or FM Modulator)

Quick Note: If you do not want to go out and get a new aftermarket stereo with AUX Input, you can connect your PC through your current Mercedes system by buying an FM Modulator. What this does is connects to the RCA cables coming off your CARPC and then connects to the back of your Mercedes radio antenna jack. Once connected you tune your radio to 89.9 and you've got sound!

3. Stereo to RCA Adapter - Plugs into small PC input and your RCA Cables connect to it. Cost 5 bucks, can also get at radio shack.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-2-Phono-RCA-socket-to-3-5mm-stereo-jack-adapt_W0QQitemZ7378270101QQcategoryZ23783QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

4. Male to Female 10' - USB Extender Cable Looks like

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-extender-cable-10-ft-M-F-NEW-3-50-ship_W0QQitemZ5822480251QQcategoryZ42322QQssPageNa meZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

5. 4 Port USB Hub (Definitely will need this)
Being that most of the devices on your CARPC will be USB powered, you will need some additional ports being that there are only 2 built in the PC.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=usb+hub

Frontend Software

This controls all your music, GPS...etc Like shown above on my CARPC. There are hundreds out there.

I use Centrafuse to control my system

http://www.fluxmedia.net

Here is a list of others

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60

In closing....

I want to wish you the best with your install. The stuff listed above may seem like alot, but it's really not. The links shown above are the items I used for my personal system. Feel free to use others if you like. I've done lots of research and what I listed above will give you a quality install. This is my second CARPC system, my first install in our Infiniti was terrible! I decided to take a short cut and tried to go out the cheap way and used my Home PC in the car. It worked when it wanted to...lol I'm not saying that you cannot do this, just please take your time. I chose the VoomPC mentioned above because it is ready made for CAR PC use.

P.S. I'm here to help, this IS NOT one of those post with lots of information listed so I won't have to answer any questions...lol I got your back!

Be Blessed!

Bnzcoupe
Old 01-28-2006, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CarPC

This is the link to mine. It had pics of a full install in a w202 95 model, but my friend who was hosting them took his site down, so I will have to get them on mine so they will show up again. It also has working pics of the finished result in my 99.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:15 PM

2001 CLK 430
i wanna know how did u hook up the power supply to the battery because im in the process my self and im trying to figure this all out

Last edited by cnotes999; 01-30-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had a laptop so all I had to do was get an "add-a-circuit" and piggy back a female end of a cigarette lighter splitter off of it and then plug in the Targus auto/air adapter I bought off ebay into it and viola. This can also be done using a power inverter and a regular power block that comes with a laptop.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:36 PM

2004 E55
THe best solution for power supply in a car pc is...

M1-ATX DC-DC ATX Automotive Computer (car PC) Power Supply

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/ca...it.A/id.356/.f

Controls the entire start up and shutdown process automatically. Not power invertors needed. When I turn my ignition key on my pc boots automatically. When I turn it off it shuts it down automatically. The best I've seen!

If the link doesn't work go to minibox dot com and do a search for m1-atx