Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

MB Bluetooth is finally here in US and available

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK350
Originally Posted by RJI
In the past week I replaced the factory Timeport Motorola system in my 2001 E55 with a standard Verizon Motorola E815 model phone. I got the MikBox and appropriate cradle from Mik. My car also has the factory Command system. All features appear to work the same with the MikBox, including the down loading of my phone book that is entered into the Motorola E815. Could it be the Bluetooth system causing the phone book not to work rather than Verizon?
Not sure at this point. I should be getting my BT module toward the end of March -- next major shipment of them doesn't arrive until the middle of the month. Depending on the results with my Treo, I may also try it out with a laptop to see about diagnosing any compatibility issues.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
FYI, the Verizon V3c with .02 filmware has OBEX enabled. I think the newer .03 filmware is disabled. But you can always flash your phone filmware and enable it.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:07 PM

2006 SLK350
Originally Posted by dtkw
FYI, the Verizon V3c with .02 filmware has OBEX enabled. I think the newer .03 filmware is disabled. But you can always flash your phone filmware and enable it.
Oh yeah... there are LOTS of custom ROM images floating around. I'd suggest a search on the treocentral.com discussion forums on that subject.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320 CDI.SOLD..'02 CLK430 Cabrio(SOLD),08 Disco3..1996 FLH-TP, 2017 E300
Originally Posted by taroliw
Oh yeah... there are LOTS of custom ROM images floating around. I'd suggest a search on the treocentral.com discussion forums on that subject.
Another site with help on flashing Verizon phones to enable OBEX. This thread deals with the 815.

hXXp://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=669405&page=5&pp=15&highlight=obe x+enabled
Old 02-21-2006, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Thanks, dtkw, taroliw, and captret, for the flash information. I had checked Howard forums on the V710 in the past, but have not done so for the V3c. It's a real pain and sad commentary when Verizon does this to us. As soon as I get to an area (at the end of this year) where I don't need cell phone access in subway tunnels, I am dumping them.

RJI, OBEX is a Bluetooth profile. Your phone book, messaging, recent calls, etc. should download when you plug into a cradle - the newer Mikboxes and Mik's firmware support this. Since MIK isn't marketing a Bluetooth box yet, you must be plugging the 815 into the cradle to get those downloads. However, if you used your Verizon phone in a Bluetooth setup, it is likely the OBEX profile is not activated and that information would not download to COMAND.

Unless you flash it as captret suggests - but if you do, you may void your phone's warranty. Verizon won't do warranty repair on a phone that they are aware has been flashed by the user.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-21-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Thanks! I just talked to an AWS agent and she told me the same thing. Further, she said they would be available no later than the end of March (I assume this year...). But as you said, we will see.

Hopefully it will work w/ Cingular GSM RAZR Bluetooth, and I will not have to do a Skylaw solution.

Hi, Jayhawk. Actually, it was a Nevada Jack solution, and a good one - especially if you already have a family pricing plan. I just stole his idea.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
If something go wrong after flashing? You can always flash it back to verizon filmware. Just save a copy in your computer, you're good to go.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:20 PM

2005 CLK500
In Stock

Hey all-

I ordered the Bluetooth MHI cradle adapter last night via AWS website. They called today, confirmed the $350 charge, and told me I will have it tomorrow!
Old 02-23-2006, 04:17 PM

2006 SLK350
Originally Posted by jackK
Hey all-

I ordered the Bluetooth MHI cradle adapter last night via AWS website. They called today, confirmed the $350 charge, and told me I will have it tomorrow!
Well, I guess the short supply reports we were hearing was just the BS to back up the initial embargo on fulfilling orders for non-2007 customers. I'll be waiting a few weeks for my free one, but I think I can live with that -- waited this long... I'm also interested to note the price difference. A posted on benzworld (and maybe here... wsscott?) had reported $470, but I suspect that was for the UHI module.

Let us know how well it works once you receive it!
Old 02-23-2006, 04:21 PM

That was the price that the MB dealer quoted before they determined they would not be able to supply the part directly. Its my understanding from these and other postings that AWS is charging $350 if you buy a phone from them along with the BT module, and $470 if you buy just the BT module to use with your existing phone. As these postings have developed, I'm not sure I know if the AWS module will work with a UHI system. It may only work with a MHI phone system.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:26 PM

2006 SLK350
Originally Posted by wsscott
Its my understanding from these and other postings that AWS is charging $350 if you buy a phone from them along with the BT module, and $470 if you buy just the BT module to use with your existing phone.
JackK can respond more directly. But based on the email he sent me, he did not purchase a phone from AWS... and was still charged $350. I recall Tim from AWS also casting doubt on the $470 figure. JackK, can you confirm you didn't purchase a phone from them?

As these postings have developed, I'm not sure I know if the AWS module will work with a UHI system. It may only work with a MHI phone system.
The difference between MHI and UHI is in the handsfree kit itself... the electronics, the cradle interface. But, furthermore, the UHI BT module has features the MHI module lacks -- due to features available in different markets, I suspect. But the bottom line is that cradles/modules for UHI cannot be used with MHI (and vice versa).
Old 02-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Almost a Member!

I ordered the craddle from dealer ($750) and ordered the BT adaptor from AWS today and was only charged $350 with out ordering a phone from them. I am using my own existing phone. They told me that any phone not listed would not be guaranteed to work properly. I have a Motorola MPX220 so we shall see if it downloads the phone book and pairs properly. My guess is it will work fine.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
I just got an e-mail from a friend at Aristocrat Motors -- the MB dealer in KC -- and he said "Mercedes is telling me that part is on what we call inter-galactic back order meaning there is no stock in this country or Germany."

I just hope the AWS gal I spoke w/ is correct, and it will be available here by the end of March.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:39 PM

2006 SLK350
I just got an e-mail from a friend at Aristocrat Motors -- the MB dealer in KC -- and he said "Mercedes is telling me that part is on what we call inter-galactic back order meaning there is no stock in this country or Germany."

I just hope the AWS gal I spoke w/ is correct, and it will be available here by the end of March.
OK. This is confusing. I hear some people indicate that AWS is telling them the part is shipping now, and others that are hearing it's available end of March. Actually, my understanding is that most stocks have been depleated in the states... the next shipment is due to come into the country (this from both AWS and MBUSA) about the middle of March. This would suggest an end-of-March expectation is more reasonable.

Is anyone actually getting shipments of these devices now? What model year is your car? Last word I had was that the previous 2007 order restriction was lifted, but that there was no inventory remaining by the time that happened.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
OK. This is confusing. I hear some people indicate that AWS is telling them the part is shipping now, and others that are hearing it's available end of March. Actually, my understanding is that most stocks have been depleated in the states... the next shipment is due to come into the country (this from both AWS and MBUSA) about the middle of March. This would suggest an end-of-March expectation is more reasonable.

Is anyone actually getting shipments of these devices now? What model year is your car? Last word I had was that the previous 2007 order restriction was lifted, but that there was no inventory remaining by the time that happened.
S500/W220/2000

It is possible that "the coasts" will get it first and then work its way into the "interior." It just bothers me that MB says it is on "inter-galactic back order."
Old 02-23-2006, 08:21 PM

2005 CLK500
JackK can respond more directly. But based on the email he sent me, he did not purchase a phone from AWS... and was still charged $350. I recall Tim from AWS also casting doubt on the $470 figure. JackK, can you confirm you didn't purchase a phone from them?
I did not purchase a phone from AWS, just the BT adapter. I have a 2005 clk with the MHI system. As far as stock goes, I did not even have to inquire... the agent who called to verify the order, offered the following "Ok, you're all set... It's going out today, and you'll have it tomorrow..."
Old 02-23-2006, 08:50 PM

2006 SLK350
S500/W220/2000

It is possible that "the coasts" will get it first and then work its way into the "interior." It just bothers me that MB says it is on "inter-galactic back order."
From what I understand, dealers aren't ordering these from MB directly. Instead, everyone in the U.S. is getting them from AWS. You might do better to contact them directly (http://www.wireless4mb.com/).
Old 02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
From what I understand, dealers aren't ordering these from MB directly. Instead, everyone in the U.S. is getting them from AWS. You might do better to contact them directly (http://www.wireless4mb.com/).
I did contact AWS and they have me down for an adapter by the end of the month (March), but I thought that MB was supposed to have them at the same time....
Old 02-25-2006, 01:38 AM

2005 CLK500
Bluetooth adapter arrived!

Well... The BT adapter arrived today, one day after placing the order with AWS... It works great! I paired it with my wife's T-mobile RAZR (NOT purchased from AWS) and it performs all functions: phonebook download, last dialed numbers, and last received calls... I called a few friends from both the bluetooth connected RAZR, and then put the v60s/cradle back in, and called them again.... I was told there was no noticeable difference in the sound quality of my voice.... The only feature that is not available, apparently on all BT connected phones, is the ability to answer a call-wating call through the Mercedes. You have to flip open the phone and answer it on the handset. The system will alert you to an incoming call waiting, via a beep tone, but the display does not change from the currently active phone call, so you have no idea who is calling without looking at the handset...

Other than that it seems pretty close to perfect....!
Old 02-25-2006, 02:30 AM

2006 SLK350
I did contact AWS and they have me down for an adapter by the end of the month (March), but I thought that MB was supposed to have them at the same time....
Wait... is your profile right? You have a 2000 S-class? Now it makes sense. Yours is a D2B handsfree kit, not MHI. The MHI modules are available now. I saw notes on AWS's site that the D2B kits aren't expected until March. In fact, if you go through the web ordering process it will remind you of this.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:34 AM

2006 SLK350
Well... The BT adapter arrived today, one day after placing the order with AWS... It works great!
Wonderful news! I guess AWS was (ahem) pulling our chain about having run out before MBUSA lifted it's order restriction for 2007 models.
The only feature that is not available, apparently on all BT connected phones, is the ability to answer a call-wating call through the Mercedes. You have to flip open the phone and answer it on the handset. The system will alert you to an incoming call waiting, via a beep tone, but the display does not change from the currently active phone call, so you have no idea who is calling without looking at the handset...
Well, if you think of this setup in terms of what it is -- a headset -- then it makes perfect sense. Not all BT headsets have the ability to 3-way call, put calls on hold, redial, etc. So... this is a feature that this BT module (or headset) lacks. Not a biggie in my book though.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
I am planning to get the BT adaptor for my wife's 2002 E55 and my concern is will the BT adaptor I buy now be usable in the new Benz in 2 years? My wife is planning to trade in her car for a CLS in the near future and I would hate to buy another BT adaptor again. BT is a must for any mother who doesn't want to juggle toddlers and the phone at the same time.

John
Old 02-26-2006, 03:56 AM

2005 CLK500
Verizon Razr V3c

Wanted to let everyone know, I am happy to report, from personal testing, The Verizon Razr V3c, is 100% compatible, even though AWS has not "officially" approved it yet ("It's currently being tested"). Phonebook, dialed and received call lists are all good to go!

In addition, unlike my Wife's T-mobile Razr V3, The Verizon version allows one to accept an incoming "call-waiting" call by simply pressing the external smartkey, without having to flip the phone open!

Definitely takes a solid minute for the phonebook to process/upload to the car (not nearly as fast as the old cradle solution), but a mere price to pay for the convenience..
Old 02-26-2006, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wanted to let everyone know, I am happy to report, from personal testing, The Verizon Razr V3c, is 100% compatible, even though AWS has not "officially" approved it yet ("It's currently being tested"). Phonebook, dialed and received call lists are all good to go!

In addition, unlike my Wife's T-mobile Razr V3, The Verizon version allows one to accept an incoming "call-waiting" call by simply pressing the external smartkey, without having to flip the phone open!

Definitely takes a solid minute for the phonebook to process/upload to the car (not nearly as fast as the old cradle solution), but a mere price to pay for the convenience..
Thanks, JackK - there is nothing like having some actual experience with the equipment. Unfortunately, it may not apply to all V3cs.

Howard Forums has an extensive writeup on the Motorola V3c and its OBEX woes at http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...1&page=1&pp=15

In the link, "puargs" has posted a great tutorial on the V3c OBEX, and how to make changes via Bluetooth mating with a PC. However, what is very clear from the long string of posts is that 1) Verizon Software version .02 (I believe this is GATW-01.0F.02; you check it in the menus - Tools-System-Device Info-Other Information-S/W) has OBEX enabled, so phone books and other information described by JackK will download. 2) The V3c phones now being delivered have software version .03, which COMPLETELY disables OBEX - so you will not get much of the information you want downloaded to COMAND. 3) SEEM editing will not restore OBEX in version .03 because the OBEX software itself has been deleted. 4) But fortunately software version .03 can be flashed back to version .02 (not likely Verizon will do it for you). 5) The V3c can also be flashed to an Alltell software version to enable OBEX, but this causes a loss of some Verizon features and also changes the menus. So, dtkw was correct in his preceding post.

I believe JackK was likely (and fortunate enough) to have gotten a V3c with the .02 software (so was I) with OBEX enabled - I have e-mailed him to try to verify. If you have software other than version .02 on your V3c, you may have a lot to go through to get full functionality. The differences in the software versions are probably why AWS doesn't show the V3c as approved.

Verizon disables OBEX on their phones as a matter of business practice, and it is not limited to Motorola phones. Their web site even says so (they recently settled a class action suit for having disabled OBEX on the V710, a phone they marketed without having posted notice of disabling OBEX). According to Howard Forums, the release of V3c phones with OBEX enabled was an error (perhaps, and I speculate here, it was not an error but a hedge in case enabling it in future phones was ordered in the class action suit - which it wasn't). Howard Forums has many postings for flashing other Verizon Bluetooth phones to enable OBEX.

Thanks, JackK, for your post that helped to bring the whole situation into focus.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-26-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
BT Adapter

Has anyone received one for a 2003 W211 yet?? I am still on the waiting list as of right now.

Randy B

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB Bluetooth is finally here in US and available