Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Phone Modula not working. HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Phone Modula not working. HELP!

I perused a phone and voice command unit for my car (2000 clk430 with command) (Dec. 1999 build date) after installing the unit the blue tooth would flash for a minute of two and than nothing. If I turn the car on and off nothing. Yet if I disconnect the battery it flash for a minute or two and than nothing again.

Please help, also any good shops in L.A. that could help the dealer ship is crazy they want $$$$$ just to check it out.

Thanks for all the info
Old 02-11-2008, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
You could have explained more details and with a bit more clarity. You mean you had a phone kit in the car and then just installed a BT puck? Did you read the BT device user guide? You have to pair the phone with the puck, the puck isn't ready for pairing forever, initialise pairing and pair your phone to the device, that should be enough.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Sorry about that.
Here it is. I bought the phone module and the voice activation module off eBay. My car was prewired for the phone, so all I did was install the unit in the trunk of the car along with the cradle in the armrest. Now neither the voice command nor the phone are working (I know you need to go to the dealer to tell the car that they are there). When I installed the module in the back and turned the car on the Bluetooth would flash for a min or two and then die. If I turn the car on and off nothing still dead. Yet if I disconnect the battery and then reconnect, it flashes for a minute or two and then dies again
Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK, so you did install the phone kit and VCM. Do you have audio now from the radio? I assume it is a D2B car, the phone kit should then work when you have the fibre and power (wake-up) etc. connected.

Do you have a phone cradle to test? You could then make sure that the car installation is OK and only once you have checked that, start working with the BT.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by sick430
Sorry about that.
Here it is. I bought the phone module and the voice activation module off eBay. My car was prewired for the phone, so all I did was install the unit in the trunk of the car along with the cradle in the armrest. Now neither the voice command nor the phone are working (I know you need to go to the dealer to tell the car that they are there). When I installed the module in the back and turned the car on the Bluetooth would flash for a min or two and then die. If I turn the car on and off nothing still dead. Yet if I disconnect the battery and then reconnect, it flashes for a minute or two and then dies again
Failing to have the dealer version code your fiber optics controller for the voice control and phone is most likely the cause of your problem. Without that the controller will treat the new equipment as if it is not there - it just shuts it down, and it could cause you problems with other equipment on the fiber optic loop.

Most dealers will charge an hour's labor for version coding. It's quick and simple, but you need a STAR diagnostics computer to do it.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-12-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is this a D2B car, I thought it would be (W208?)? In that case the phone audio (no instrument cluster or steering wheel functionality) should work without version coding. Looks like there is something more than version coding wrong now.

But the car anyway definitely needs version coding.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Is this a D2B car, I thought it would be (W208?)? In that case the phone audio (no instrument cluster or steering wheel functionality) should work without version coding. Looks like there is something more than version coding wrong now.

But the car anyway definitely needs version coding.
The phone bulletin for the car ( http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phon...s/CLK%2000.pdf ) is pretty specific as to configuration of the ring - both sequence of physical connection and the sequence of coding - as it has been with the other D2B cars I've looked at. From the U.S. bulletin for the '00 CLK, following the chart assigning locations for specific devices:

"Return to the D2B functions menu. Using path: Actual values/D2B Actual configuration, verify that the version coding input above (specified value) matches the actual configuration performed during installation (actual values). If a difference exists, the ring has been improperly configured and must be disassembled and properly reconfigured."

"NOTICE!

DO NOT alter the configuration in step H3 to match the vehicle configuration. Failure to have the configuration set as indicated in the table above will result in erroneous system operation and/or intermittent functioning of some or all components."

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-12-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2008, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don't want to start arguing really and don't want to give the impression that version coding was not necessary or important, there are diagnostics and other reasons too why it should be done. But really, I've done a D2B phone kit installation myself and all the audio worked fine without version coding.

Of course I had it coded, not only to gain IC menus.

In this case too, one could diagnose the system the same time as doing the version coding.