Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

iPhone integration on 2006 E-Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E500 Flint Grey - Charcoal
iPhone integration on 2006 E-Series

There are many threads in here abut ipod/iphone and bluetooth but (at least myself) do not find them to be straightforward ...

I don't currently have bluetooth (not even sure if the car is 'pre-wired' .. I would like to get the iphone working with the '06 MY E-Series ..

What are the options? I see that there is a new iPhone integration kit. Do I need to get all the wiring in place that would be required for the Bluetooth before the iphone integration kit can be installed? Or is that a separate kit and much less painful (read cheaper) to get installed?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Yes, you have to get the basic phone components installed.

Then you have the choice of the universal Bluetooth adapter or a specific cradle for the iPhone that uses car's antenna and charges the phone. With the latter, the iPod function can be integrated into the car's stereo system, too.

Basic components are described in the "sticky" post at top of this forum.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
You will also see some discussion on the new iPhone cradle. First, AWS has certified it only for the older iPhone, not with the 3G model. Second, what lkchris told you is correct - you need Bluetooth components installed. Third, the iPhone cradle will charge the phone in addition to connecting it to the MB iPod kit. Last, the MB iPhone cradle is designed to plug into the MB iPod kit, and no other. I am not aware of any successful integration with 3rd party iPod kits, though it may be possible.

You are not limited to using the iPhone with the cradle designed for it, however. My Dension Gateway 500 is fully capable of playing music from an iphone, and with a Bluetooth puck, I would be in business if I chose to be.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:24 AM

Thanx for replies and that was my next question..

What options aside for the MB bluetooth puck do I have?

I see you have the Denison ... does that fully integrate with the Command unit? Are there other third party products you would recommend?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Dension Gateway 500 does indeed integrate with the COMAND. See the writeup at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...mentation.html for installation in an S500, and at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ml#post2471051 for menu operation.

Looking at the fiber optic loop diagram in the phone bulletin for your car (http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm - the '05 and '06 are essentially the same), installation in your car would be far simpler than mine; no fiber optics changes in the trunk.

Please note that the GW 500 also has an optional cell phone module, and will be coming out with an iPod video playback unit shortly. I do not know how well either will work with an iPhone.

I have not installed or worked with other 3rd party products. From what I read, contributors seem fairly satisfied with products from mObridge and InCarTronics. For those I'll leave you to your own research.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-30-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:08 AM

What am I missing here? Is there something I WOULDN'T be getting by going aftermarket?

Given that the price of getting the MB bluetooth is so much higher then aftermarket solutions and if both work equally well why would anyone consider the MB solution?

Also, is there a way to use the TeleAid microphone for hands free if I go the Gateway route?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
What you're missing is the fact MB offers an MHI cradle into which you can mount your iPhone and then the car will charge your phone and you'll be using the car's rather than the phone's antenna. No aftermarket solution offers this.

This same cradle comes with an external wiring pigtail which will connect the iPod (music) function of your phone to the existing iPod interface and you'll be able to play through your stereo and control song selection via steering wheel buttons.

When you have the cradle, no additional bluetooth puck is required.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:59 PM

Ok .. just few more questions here ...

Looking at the installation pdf for the MHI kit ..

Am I correct in assuming that:

1. The wiring between the trunk and the armrest is already in place? That all I need to do is add the components in the trunk .. and the cradle in the armrest?

2. After that is completed ... the Teleaid microphone would be used for the phone? And if so . does the car need to be updated by STAR?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You will need to check that your car has the "handsfree prewiring" option. Prewiring (installation of fiber optics/copper wire harnesses) was standard through '05, but was made an option on many models in '06. The easiest way to check this is to determine whether you have the cables/connectors identified in Figs. 1-3 of the phone bulletin for your car. Your dealer should also be able to determine whether you have the prewiring option by looking up the VIN.

If you have the "prewiring" then you are correct as to the rest of the installation. However, if you are going to use Bluetooth puck and live in a strong signal area, you might consider skipping the installation of the linear compensator and the antenna switch; they are needed only if you are going to connect your phone to the car's external antenna.

Connecting the wiring as shown in the bulletin connects the microphones that you will need. No extra microphones are needed in an OE installation.

You will need to have your car version coded via STAR because this would be the first installation of a phone.

If you do not have the prewiring, you may find the Gateway 500 with the optional BTA 1500 Bluetooth module to be far easier, because no additional wiring or harnesses are necessary.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-17-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:36 PM

Guess I'll dig into the trunk this weekend and take a look ..

but can't I also tell by the Data Card? I do see Low Cost Teleaid listed ... would this have included the pre-wire?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You could check the window sticker, if that's what you mean by data card. You could also check the site in post #3 at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ml#post3183179 - don't let the string's title throw you off.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:47 PM

Does the following imply pre-wire?

installation parts kit and connecting cable harness for TeKaDe BSA 31s car phone with one set
elimination of lettering elegance/sport/esprit
omission of line logo elegance/sport/esprit/classic (с 01.02.1993)
Becker radio set Mexico, stereo
Old 12-18-2008, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe it implies prewire; at least, enough to justify looking for the connectors. You do not tell us which continent you live on, and I have never heard of TeKaDe - though I see it pop up on several sites. You may even have electronics installed for a particular kind of phone.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 AM

Good point .. so I updated my profile ...

That's what I pulled off the data card ..

Now .. anything special in removing the trunk side panels?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't doubt that you got it from the data card. I'm just not familiar with the designation, but when I googled it I saw it as the option code translation for many Benzes.

There is nothing special I am aware of for removing the side panels - for mine, I had to unscrew cargo net anchor points, and one plastic retaining pin - but these were around the edges and easy to find.

If you wish, you may also see if the connectors for the MHI Contact Plate are present under the false floor of your console - it may be easier than wrestling around in the trunk. See Figs. 33, 34 of the phone bulletin. If you have those connectors, I believe you have the full prewiring. If you have the contact plate itself, you have the phone system installed - all you need is a Bluetooth puck and compatible phone.

Of course, with your phone system present, you could install the Gateway 500 with no additional wiring - and you would not need the BTA 1500 Bluetooth module for it.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-19-2008 at 09:43 AM.