Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Aftermarket or Upgrade W211 Comand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Aftermarket or Upgrade W211 Comand

So I have been doing quite a bit of research on the boards trying to decide what to do about my sound system in my 2007 E63 w/HK Comand Logic 7 system with Reus Audio 16.2 Audio upgrade.

I currently have the factory iPod adaptor and MHI Bluetooth puck. Some issues I have with the current setup are:

- Poor iPod sound quality (even tried the in-line $0.05 amplifier).
- Unable to control the iPod from the head unit.
- Bluetooh unable to adjust mic volume sensitivity.
- Comand unable to add reverse camera (currently US version)
- Overall volume of Comand is too low.
- Unable to add aftermarket components absent many aftermarket adaptors.

So I have been researching the options currently available:

- Swap out factory iPod adaptor for Dension or MoBridge.
- Add MoBridge Bluetooth option.
- Purchase a Euro Comand with VIM modification for reverse camera addition.
- Add MoBridge preamp to integrate aftermarket amplifiers.
- Add Audison Bit One for sound DSP.

OR

- Swap out factory Comand for Kenwood DNX-9140 with built-in Bluetooth.
- Add steering wheel adaptor.
- Add iPod adaptor that also supports video playback from iPod.
- Add front and rear view cameras.
- Add HD TV tuner when released.

Some of the pros and cons with the options are:

Pros
- Get everything built into one unit by going aftermarket.
- Much easier to add and improve sound system with aftermarket.
- Maintain system factory integrity by keeping Comand and adding devices capable of integrating with factory MOST.

Cons
- losing the factory Comand and teleaid.
- questionable seamless integration.

So I remain on the fence. Technologies continue to improve with other car manufacturers, ie. Audi Bang & Olufsen option, etc and I feel that MB is a bit slow in this department. I have posted questions about retrofitting the NTG2.5 but have been told that it would not be worth the time or expense.

At this point I am leaning toward going aftermarket but I am hoping to get feedback from others with first hand experiences on the board.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Anyone?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
I haven't done it yet, but will definitely install a Kenwood unit. From all the reserach I've done and people I've talked to, they've never questioned their choice to go aftermarket.

My only question is the extra G worth going for the 9140 with the 8120? 8120 should expect a price drop soon, but not sure if the 9140 will have that much more to offer.

Overall, if your a tech guy and love thy ipod, go for the aftermarket unit. Controlling your iPod from the touchscreen is by far a must have. Updated maps, video bypass, better sound quality, cameras, usb ports and not to mention, they look way slicker.

That's just my two cents.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 PM

S-550
Red face WOW MPRSEV

MPRSEV YOU SEEM TO HAVE DONE A LOT OF WORK ON YOUR CAR, I JUST JOINED THE SITE LOOKING FOR HELP TO IMPROVE THE SOUND IN MY 2008 S-550 HK SYSTEM. THE REUS COMPANY WAS RECOMMENDED TO ME AND SINCE YOU HAVE THE SYSTEM COULD YOU TELL ME SOME OF THE PRO'S AND CON'S ----DO'S AND DON'T'S
Old 05-06-2009, 01:46 AM

2006 E350
I'm in the same boat trying to replace my command unit. Except, I'm thinking of going with Pioneer F900BT (more or less same feature set and less expensive than the Kenwood). I'll follow your thread closely to see which way you go. Also, input from experienced Pioneer/Kenwood installers into their W211s would be super cool!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:38 PM

2003 clk55
Heres a pic of a customers car we installed an alpine double din in.

We also did a full system in it.

heres a link to the install.

http://forums.yuppieracing.net/showthread.php?t=84

Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Aftermarket FTW...I'd go with the 8120 just because the justification for another grand on the 9140 isn't there yet.

I have the 8120 in both the E55 and the SL65...and the 7120 in my caddie...From my experience, I have no regrets in going aftermarket.

Jon

Last edited by AMGfan; 05-07-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 PM

2006 E350
Both setups look real sick! From my limited asking around, it seems that I can't go aftermarket in my 06 E350 without getting the speakers re-wired. Is that true, guys?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 AM

2007 E-350, Volvo S80, Dodge Caravan
What Componants

I am also considering replacing the HU with Kenwood. My questions are;

What did you do about the audio Gateway (AMP) did you replace it?
Did you replace your Sub Woofer?
I understand all the speakers are 2 Ohm did you keep them?
Do you still have the Steering Wheel controls?
I assume you do not have the information in the Dash anymore?
Do you get any information on the Dash ouside temp etc?
If you don't mind please provide as much detail as possible.

Thank You.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Originally Posted by rukna
Both setups look real sick! From my limited asking around, it seems that I can't go aftermarket in my 06 E350 without getting the speakers re-wired. Is that true, guys?
yes, your system is in the trunk, the front panel radio is just an interface unit, the sound and all the commands originate in the amp/audio gateway. so rewire is indeed needed
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Kardacian
I am also considering replacing the HU with Kenwood. My questions are;

What did you do about the audio Gateway (AMP) did you replace it?
Did you replace your Sub Woofer?
I understand all the speakers are 2 Ohm did you keep them?
Do you still have the Steering Wheel controls?
I assume you do not have the information in the Dash anymore?
Do you get any information on the Dash ouside temp etc?
If you don't mind please provide as much detail as possible.

Thank You.
you can still keep the audio gateway intact if you want, just grab the speaker outputs off of it. I forget the ohm rating off hand, usually I just drop in an Audison SRx5 if you are on a budget and call it a day.

Keeping the AGW intact doesn't throw any codes when communicating with the Central Gateway.

The display for audio is gone on the cluster, should just say AUDIO---

steering wheel controls should work depending on the interface
Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 PM

You don't have to rewire the or replace the speakers if you buy a digital amp that can auto adjust to the speaker draw. Alpine sells such a beast, I am sure others do to. If you go this route you should consult with a good car sound installer.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
and you know of this because you read it somewhere .... on the internet is my bet...
Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 PM

Actually no I did not read it. The car stereo expert I use, informed me of the Alpine amp and what it can do. As for the speakers I have the schematics for my E-350 from MB so I bellieve it. Although I don't need an expert to know that I can tap off the factory amp to drive the Alpine and a sub woofer, my expert confirmed that also.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/pro...AS_PDX_rev.pdf
Old 06-24-2009, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
You make it sound so easy... so how many times have you replaced the audio system in an E class? or add amplifiers to it? replace the COMAND? I can say I have done all of the above at least a dozen times.

BTW you need a new "expert" or you are not properly conveying what he states, but then again this is the internet...

BTW I followed the B&O technology of the ICEPower when it first started coming out, and was adapted to the mobile audio industry. Very nice, but the Alpine 4 channel amps are rated 2 or 4 ohm stereo, 2 ohm mono... go ahead and play it at 1 ohm, it was designed for a known output impedance, (though it is always changing with cone movement)
Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 PM

It can be easy if you do your research up front. I have not replaced or added amps to a 350 yet. I have have done plenty of work in all sorts of vehicles and I have never been dissatisfied with the results.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Kardacian
It can be easy if you do your research up front. I have not replaced or added amps to a 350 yet. I have have done plenty of work in all sorts of vehicles and I have never been dissatisfied with the results.

I am not trying to start a petty argument with you, but we all know that research and the application are 2 different variables all together. We all have standards, when it comes to audio and MB, I "think" that I just have higher standards. So please do not take my comments as a personal attack and if I sounded a bit "b itchy" it was because of my dear friend who removed the photos, again.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Any car with speakers has copper wires to the speaker coils and one would not have to be an expert to know that tapping wires there would give the signal the speaker has.

I understand the discussion being about the options to tap to the MOST ring. There should already be devices that "insert" audio like from an MP3 player to the ring (could be acting like a CD drive). But so far I have not seen a device that would output the audio signal from the MOST ring or an after market amplifier where you can plug the MOST fibre. Does this audio expert know devices like that?
Old 06-27-2009, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Diesel, there are a few people working on MOST integration or adding a headunit to the MOST ring. NavTv has one that they are doing, but I do not want to be the guinea pig for it. BTDT lost a whole bunch of money and respect over it. Mobridge is working the opposite end which will have them adding amps to the factory head and providing low level out and also a model that provides an input to the Audison Bit1 via the Tosilink connector

as for the copper wire to speaker voice coil...

certain speakers in the HK and Bose system only play certain frequencies and at different levels... for instance if you raise the volume the lower end starts to disappear because of the rise in the built in crossover. I will ask a friend of mine (next time I talk to him) who works for Harmon the complete system functions such as the rise of the EQ. He might not be able to find out the specifics in a timely manner because he is on the JBL side of the house which is the after market side not OEM

Also Diesel, I see you list Europe as your location. Have you ever dealt with NAVTV Uk? and what is your experience?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by jbondox
as for the copper wire to speaker voice coil...

certain speakers in the HK and Bose system only play certain frequencies and at different levels... for instance if you raise the volume the lower end starts to disappear because of the rise in the built in crossover.
Well, I think I mentioned "the signal the speaker gets" which doesn't mean it would get the whole audio spectrum. I should have been more specific but my point was not to advertise the option to tap wires to speakers. Thanks anyway for clearing this, useful for those who might get mislead.

Originally Posted by jbondox
Also Diesel, I see you list Europe as your location. Have you ever dealt with NAVTV Uk? and what is your experience?
I don't think I've had anything "after market" in my car, I have not specifically looked at NAVTV products or similar. Not that I couldn't try some day.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I heard that the NAVTV UK guys are light years ahead of what is offered for the USA... I was just trying to get some feedback from someone over there. I tried getting on a few UK websites but all they talk about is tea and alcohol