Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

watching DVD on CLK command system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
watching DVD on CLK command system

........Does anyone know how to retrofit the command system on CLK so that a TV tunner or DVD player can be connected to it? VEry VEry Very intetrested in doing this and I know it can be done, but very hard getting information on how or even who to go to specifically. Will appreciate name and e-mail of specific person or group to go to. Thanks

Ted
Old 01-24-2002, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
What country are you in. The US comand doesnt have the TV software in it. Maybee it has some of it, but certainly the diagnostic mode doesnt talk about the TV software versions.

If you have a TV button,. see www.ibex.co.uk/mbstuff
Old 01-24-2002, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...............thanks Richard. I live in the USA, but I have purchased a European Command 2.0 with a TV button. What I need are the TV tunner connections. I need a cable/adapter/wiring harness or something that I can plug in to the TV socket on the command and have the outer tip be a RCA female jacks that I can plug a DVD or Tv tunner to. Will this be the same as the 18 way, 8 way and 4* coax mentioned on the mb stuff website? If so, where can I get them?

Ted.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ted

Here's another one you may want to try www.nav-tv.com.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Ive seen [on ebay] a device that plugs into the place where the TV tuner would plug in and gives you video inputs.
The alterative is to install a european TV tuner then you have 2 auxiliary inputs

The ebay device was a modified VW/Audi device, I asked the seller what it was/where it came from and got this answer from the seller Guenther : -

-------------------------------------

Hi, Richard.
The Modul is an modified A/V Multimedia-Modul from German Vendor www.audiotechnik-dietz.de
I don't know who has made the modification. Please contact "BOLEK" in the Telematik/Comand-Forum of www.megacomm.de if you want to buy a
modul.

---------------------------------------
- The VW/Audi adapter is part 1212 on
http://www.audiotechnik-dietz.de/multimedia.htm
part 1201 is if you already have a MB TV tuner

As the VW/Audi nav system is basically the same hardware as the MB COMAND, I imagine the changes were just to the connectors to connect it to the COMAND system. If someone sends me a set of instructions for the device i'll work out what the connections to COMAND should be [and what the part # of the MB connectors to connect it up]

Last edited by Richard; 01-24-2002 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
..................I will love to install a European TV unner. Who can I purchase this from? I have spoken to the people at Nav-tv.com. Basically I do not think they know what they are talking about. their website says thay have an adapter for even the American command 2.0, but on the telephone, they say they don't. As for European model, the can solder an addapter in place, but audio will be through an FM modulator. I wish this was my area of expertise, this seems like it ought to be easily dooable, but when it comes down to the details, I have mostly gotten the run around. I will contact the links you gave me and report back.

Ted.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
i had the number of a shop in new york that did this kinda work/modifications, and know for a fact that they have done tv tuner installs on comand equipped mercs, shame i lost the number.

i do recall it being fairly expensive, something in the ball park of 2-3k

greg
Old 01-28-2002, 05:34 PM

C32 AMG
Ted, how did you order the european command?
Old 01-30-2002, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce

........you can order a European command by going on Ebay, clicking on the left bottom section on germany. Then enter command 2.0 or 2.5 and they usually have several on sale. This is the least expensive way. Problem is that it is all in german, so if you don't speak german, you will have to translate the webpage. Lycos and Systran have good on-line translation. Alternatively, I can procure a European command for you directly, but it will cost you about $1600, whereas on german ebay. It is usually under $1000. E-mail me at Uzoma3@cs.com if interested in purchasing directly from me.

Ted
Old 01-31-2002, 05:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
96 P993T, 00 E55, 09 SL63
External video on Command screen

Found this shop during the recent LA Auto Show:

www.hardwiredmobile.com
888-339-4733 and located in West Holywood, CA

They quoted me $2695 (ouch!) for a DVD mounted in the trunk with wireless remote control and switch to watch the signal on the Command screen and audio coming from the stock audiosystem.

They had a demo S-class w/comand which has the system running during the LA auto show.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
RennTech can doit and I have confirmed this with them.

www.renntechmercedes.com
Old 02-04-2002, 10:42 AM
Out Of Control!

Can't even imagine how much this renntech would cost?? Any ideas??
Old 02-04-2002, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Not sure exactly, but I am sure it will be somewhat reasonable... naaaaaaaaah, what am I saying! This is Renntech were talking about! It will probably be outrageously high, lol.

My Dad is having renntech install the TV's in the headrests and converting COMAND into a DVD player, but still being able to use the normal stuff like the phone, navi, etc. He isn't getting it done for a few months though, he wants to get the Body Kit and Engine stuff done first.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2002, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
........This very strange. I spoke with Rentech at 561-845-7888 and they told me clearly that they do not, again absolutely do not retrofit the command to play DVD's. So kindly let us know who at Rentech you spoke to and give us their specific telephone number and extension. I spoke with Brabus at 949-797-9177 and they claim that they are going to be able to do this in three weeks. They are waiting on a part from Germany called a Transponder. Strangely though, the only human being at Brabus that knows about this is a guy called Andrea. When you call ask for him. The other people at Brabus, claim no such plans exist. I went to the german telemakit forum at megacom.de to find someone called Bolek who supposedly has an adapter for this, the guy has not responded. Multiple people have left him messages, but no response. I found the person who supposedly had the adapter on sale on ebay.......it turns out, it is the same adapter that this guy Bolek sold to him.....so why did he turn around to sell it on ebay? I have been researching this for close to a year. It turns out there multiple half truths. I just want to see someone that is actually driving around with a retrofitted command that plays DVD's. Don't get me wrong.....I think this is possible, but very difficult to get a straight answer. The closest to a straight answer is an outfit in California Hardwiredmobile.com. There telephone number is 888-339-4733. They apparently gad an S-class with DVD on the cOmmand at the LA auto show. I spoke to them. They claim they can do thistoday if you bring your car to them in West hollywood. But remember that the command in the S class is different from that in CLK, C-lass ML etc, so whether they can do this for orther cars other than S class, I don't know.

Ted
Old 02-05-2002, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ted, Renntech can do it, but it is not a regular practice of theirs; probably why they told you that. When I went to Renntech I met Hartmet Feyhl, the owner and founder of Renntech. That is who I spoke with. Not sure of his extension, but you can just call and ask the secretary to connect you to Mr. Feyhl.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.........I have again made complete enquiries at REnntech. THEY ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RETRO-FIT THE COMMAND TO ALLOW YOU TO WATCH DVD, PERIOD, END OF STORY. If they can do it an will get payed for it, I do not know why they will lie and claim they don't. So if you insist that they do, you may wish to actually contact them, get a written quote and post it so we can see it. I am trying to provide people with clear and direct information regading this and trying not to lead people astray. BRabus can do this for $5500 in their New Port Beach location. If you call Brabus. ask for a Andreas. Trust me I don't work for Brabus. I have a Lorinser car. For those who e-mailed me directly, I am still working on getting The Euro command to show DVD's. It turns out that it will be relatively simple, you may need to upgrade to Nokia phone and install nokia software to get the voice recognition to work with the Euro Command system. Not a big deal to do, but pirice keeps going up as more components need to be changed. As far as radio stations go, the FM will work, the AM will not. The TV tunner has two AV/inputs, so you input anything you like.

TED
Old 02-28-2002, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
DId it.......DVD on CLK command.

.............oh! it looks beautiful. I have finally replaced my USA command 2.0 with a German Command 2.0 and a TV tunner and DVD player in the Glove box. The German command has a TV button and the TV tunner has A/V inputs through which I connected the DVD player. The DVD shows on the command screen just by pressing the TV button and I can control DVD audio using the steering wheel controls. I upgraded the phone to a V60 phone and it works! Voice recognition works too. No Fm modulator needed. DVD audio is beautiful and comes directly from the stock speakers. AM works and FM works. Only thing I lost was the weather band because I guess they don't have Wb in germany(?) Also was able to jig it so DVD plays while car is in motion at any speed. Cost lots of bucks though, but I love it. Scanning pics now..........will have them posted on monday. If anyone wants to buy USA command 2.0, I have one for sale.

Ted
Old 03-08-2002, 10:37 AM

Hi Ted,

Could you post those pics of the DVD player in the glove box please?

What make model of DVD are you using? The reason I ask is because the adaptor for EU Comand is now available on the megacomm site to enable video input without the TV tuner and I would like to install the DVD player once it arrives.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2002, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
Ted how much did you spend exactly and what did you do. I know you got a Euro Command 2.0, and a DVD player. What else? Is that all? And who installed it. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:51 AM
jay

2002 C230K Sports Coupe
Re: DId it.......DVD on CLK command.

Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
[/B If anyone wants to buy USA command 2.0, I have one for sale.

Ted [/B]
Still for sale???
Old 04-04-2002, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 mercedes clk coupe
Originally posted by accord
Not sure exactly, but I am sure it will be somewhat reasonable... naaaaaaaaah, what am I saying! This is Renntech were talking about! It will probably be outrageously high, lol.

My Dad is having renntech install the TV's in the headrests and converting COMAND into a DVD player, but still being able to use the normal stuff like the phone, navi, etc. He isn't getting it done for a few months though, he wants to get the Body Kit and Engine stuff done first.

Thanks
bull **** i just got off the phone with renntech they dont even deal with electronics

what a dumb ***

check with 310 motoring in los angeles and brabus in los angeles

i called a long time ago they said soon but i coulnnt wait so i got me aftermarker pioneer dvd and lcd and the nav
Old 04-04-2002, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 mercedes clk coupe
german system

german system is in german
how do you use the comand system and the navigation system and the radio

i just like to c this happen

oh i went to ebay they have the s class comand systems only

ted i really wanna c them pics post em
Old 04-09-2002, 02:40 AM

02 CLK 430 Coupe
Anyone tried or know what is the deal with this? Does it really work?

http://mbcomand.tripod.com/start/java-shop/start.html#

Click on shopping then 3. Adapter, then its the 2nd one. It claims that you do not need a tv tuner to install it. Relatively expensive for something that seems too good to be true also. Anyone know what is the deal with this?

Also this auction is for the same.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=1720581934
Old 04-09-2002, 01:36 PM

a car
Re: german system

Originally posted by sungulent
german system is in german
how do you use the comand system and the navigation system and the radio

i just like to c this happen

oh i went to ebay they have the s class comand systems only

ted i really wanna c them pics post em
I have a German Command 2.0 Unit also in a US spec car the only things that do not work are Weather band & AM band tuning as the US uses different increments in the tuning of AM stations. You can switch the lanuage of the Comand unit to an number of languages like Italian, English,etc...
you don't have to change anything.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:44 PM

02 CLK 430 Coupe
How did you obtain your German COMAND unit? Is it a simple switch out if you already have US COMAND, like just pull it out, unplug everything and plug it back into the German unit? Also, do you have the TV tuner or video inputs on it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: watching DVD on CLK command system