Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

COMAND as VGA monitor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C240/6
COMAND as VGA monitor

There have been lots of discussion regarding the TV tuners and multimedia adapters for the COMAND system. The description for such parts indicate that the job of the adapters is to convert the analog composite signal from the external source into a digital signal usable by COMAND.

What happens when you are interested in displaying images that are originally digital, as in the VGA output of a computer? Or a DVD player that has digital video output? So far, it appears that you need to convert such signals to analog (composite) to feed to the COMAND multimedia adapter, which then turns it back to digital for COMAND to be able to use. This results in great loss of clarity.

My question is, Does a harness (no electronics) exist (or could be made) in order to feed a VGA output directly to COMAND? There would be no loss of clarity here. Are the signals required by the sockets for TV function described somewhere? This would enable someone to build a harness.

Such a harness would be far more useful than a multimedia adapter since most people want to use the screen for DVD or computer images. I certainly have no interest in watching broadcast TV in my car (or at home for that matter). And satellite TV is digital...

What do the gurus in this subject think? (MBenzNL, Richard, MBTech, et. al.) ?
Old 02-15-2003, 06:09 PM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
You can use the multimedia adapter

from laptop or portable using the video & sound output you connect to the comand. As I can connect my laptop to my TV with the same connections as on the multimedia adapter to the Comand.

All it does that it allows you to plug in a video and sound source to the comand by using a Red, White & Yellow phono plug (I think I used the right name).

N
Old 02-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 C240/6
Granted, but the picture quality you get is awfull. The COMAND screen is a Monitor and not a TV. If you want to show a TV image on a computer monitor, you need to somehow convert the analog signal into the digital signal. However, if you want to show a digital image (from a computer) you should be able to do this directly, rather than convert it to analog (lose quality) and then convert back to digital for the COMAND (lose quality again).

How is the quality of the computer image you get in your COMAND when you plug your laptop's Video output to the COMAND adapter's multimedia input? How does it compare to the image you have in your laptop in the first place (resolution, crispness, clarity?)
Old 02-16-2003, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
...........Ok, to like Ben, I am a modaholic. I have looked into this before. There is a company called G-net that is based in Canada that sells VGA monotors. The smalles they have is a & inch VGA monitor. THE comand is a TFT screen not a VGA monitor. It is the same as other TFT screens used in the mobile video world except for the recently realed VGA screens. NO, it is impossible to have a digital quality image on your comand screen because the comand is not a VGA monitor. You can use video signal processors, sometimes called enhancers in series to the comand unit.............butthe output from these signal processors is either VGA output or 3pin RGB which the comand does not have because it is a not a VGA monitor. You can use several adapters to adapt the 3pin RGB or the VGA output into an RCA input that will fit into the comand Tv tunner or Megacomm adapter. But once you do that, the signal decays and gets converted back to analog and you loose many lines of resolution. I did this 9 months ago when I hooked up wireless internet service to my CLK. Worked great, but resolution was poor for reading text such as on web pages. One possible solotion is to dirtectly solder pin to pin.......from the VGA ouput of a computer to the A/V pins directly on the Comand. Yes, I looked into this.........Called Bosch, I weas told tyhat it is currently not possible.........but in conjuction with MB, they were developing an onboard computer to replace the Comand......and when that is available, then what I was suggesting may be possible.

Ted
Old 02-16-2003, 10:39 AM
Almost a Member!

'02 C240/6
Thanks!

Ted, thank you for the informed reply. I guess I'll have to get the adapter or the MB Tv tunner. I've seen pictures of the MB tuner. It looks huge. Where is it installed? I wouldn't care less about TV, but the MB tuner seems better quality and has two separate AV inputs. However, the Megacomm adapter seems easier to install due to its size. Have you investigated pros and cons of these two solutions for someone who doesn't care about TV?
Old 02-16-2003, 11:41 AM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
Hi Ted, where are you from?

Depending on car, I think it is mounted in the boot on the side and you'll need four amps to connect to your rear windscreen.

I am using my Mercedes Benz car kit with the 6310i which has bluetooth to connect to the internet when on the move. I find this setup far better than trying to use the Comand as a monitor, its too small 5" v 14" . Yet I would like to see something from it to as that is the only button in my car that doesn't work? So I think the megacomm adapter is the way too go as, I doubt I will watch the TV when on the move. I will make sure I order that in the next car.

await comments from others
Old 02-17-2003, 04:59 PM

2000 CLK 320
Hi Ted,

Was it you who had an extra Megacomm Adapter? If so, would you be interested in selling them. Thanks...
Old 02-18-2003, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
..............Sorry for the late response. I'm from Atlanta, Georgia
..............Yes I do have a Megacomm adapter for sale but it will be cheaper for you to buy from Megacomm.de than from me. The site is in German but with a language translator such as Systran, you can navigate relatively well. Also, they just started accepting Paypal, so payemnt is easier.

Ted
Old 02-18-2003, 11:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
..............Sorry for the late response. I'm from Atlanta, Georgia
..............Yes I do have a Megacomm adapter for sale but it will be cheaper for you to buy from Megacomm.de than from me. The site is in German but with a language translator such as Systran, you can navigate relatively well. Also, they just started accepting Paypal, so payemnt is easier.

Ted
Ted,

Have you ever bought anything from Megcomm.de? Since the payment is not an issue anymore, what about shipping? I am considering buying another COMAND as a backup unit. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

John
Old 02-19-2003, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Have you ever bought anything from Megcomm.de? Since the payment is not an issue anymore, what about shipping? I am considering buying another COMAND as a backup unit. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

..........Yes I buy from Mecagomm frequently. Shipping is expensive from Germany, but I guess you only live once. Even so, I would not advice buying Comand from Megacome. It is quite expensive. I recommend German ebay.

Ted
Old 02-25-2003, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Re: You can use the multimedia adapter

Originally posted by barflux
from laptop or portable using the video & sound output you connect to the comand. As I can connect my laptop to my TV with the same connections as on the multimedia adapter to the Comand.

All it does that it allows you to plug in a video and sound source to the comand by using a Red, White & Yellow phono plug (I think I used the right name).

N
Excuse the ignorance but, is this multimedia adapter something that you buy or is there already an adapter on the back of the command unit? And if I understand correctly, the adapter can be used to connect to my Laptop?
Old 02-26-2003, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

If you are planning on buying an extra COMAND unit, i recommend you PM the user MBenzNL as he is well versed in these procuring these items.
Good Luck!.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:34 PM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
see below

You have to buy the adapter, and plug it in behind it.

Providing you have a video output to your laptop, then yes.

N