Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E320
Question Help!!!

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I've been doing some research regarding the iPod interface and BT module for my car.

I just got an 05 (he purchased it oct 04) E320 that I got as a step down gift from my dad!!!! Niceeeeee!!! Anyhow, the car has the nav system with the telephone buttons. I called the dealer and one time they told me I should have the hookup for the BT module, but then they said I needed the "kit" and another time they said I couldn't do it at all.

Since I have mixed answers I was wondering if anybody could clarify exactly what I can and cannot do.

Here's my VIN: WDBUF65J85A692397

If I can't get it installed in my car...what would you recommend?

Can I also get voice commands on this car?

Thanks in advance for all your help and I'm excited to be here!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Welcome to the forum.

You can definitely add a phone system; what you must add depends on what you already have installed, if anything.

Your car uses an MHI phone system. It has a MOST fiber optics bus. Armed with that information, see https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ml#post2788377, especially posts # 1, 5 and 6. Be sure to follow the links in the posts.

In the phone bulletin referenced in one of the posts, look for a picture of an "MHI contact plate." If you have one in your phone compartment, all you need is a Bluetooth puck for MHI and a compatible phone. If you do not have the contact plate, you will beed the full phone installation.

If your car doesn't already have voice control, it can be added - about $400 or so for the control unit, a bit more for the stalk.

If your car never had a phone installation or voice control, it will have to be version coded for each. Version coding is explained in the How-To Guide.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:51 PM

05 E320
Thanks for the reply! I read you posts and they are very thorough and complete!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 PM

05 E320
I didn't see anything on my center console...does this mean that I need the whole kit? I saw another post in which somebody looked at a data card...how do you do that?

Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
If you do not have the contact plate, you don't have any phone electronics. You do have the wiring harnesses (both copper and fiber optic) necessary to add the components.

An authorized MB dealer can pull the vehicle data card, which will give you all of the information about the paint color, the installed options, the upholstery, and the like. Some of the options may be tough to decipher, but the dealer should also have a book that elaborates on what the codes and abbreviations are.

There is a Russian site that allows you to enter the VIN and get the information as well. See post #3 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...mber-info.html

While there are internet sellers who sell complete MB phone electronics for your car, it tends to be expensive. An MB dealer typically charges around $2500 for a full installation (installation included); some of the internet vendors charge around $1800 for complete parts kits only. I would try a breaker yard such as Potomac German Auto (http://www.pgauto.com/) to see if they have the parts. Giving them a call is easier than relying on their online catalog. The have locations near Washington DC and St. Augustine, FL - I'd call both.

You could also check out the Dension Gateway 500 (the MOST version) together with its BTA 1500 Bluetooth module. That would allow integration of an iPod and a cell phone (including an iPhone), for far less than the cost of the MB equipment. See www.Dension.com, and explore the site a bit. You can also download the installation and owners manual for the devices there. If you have COMAND, you will get song title and artist info displayed on the COMAND screen, and track # on the multifunction display. You will get telephone info on the screens as well. The steering wheel controls will work with each. While my installation would be different from yours, you can see it at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...mentation.html and at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ml#post2471051. Your installation would be simpler than mine. You're probably looking at $600 for the Gateway 500 and the BTA 1500 together, installed yourself. The Gateway 500 does let you keep your CD changer.

Alternatively, you could check out some of the mObridge devices, or the iTronic products offered by InCarTronics. I haven't installed any of their devices, but they do provide online installation video to help. You're looking at about $1200 for the combo iPod/Bluetooth setups.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-18-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:23 AM

05 E320
Skylaw you are awesome!!!!

Thanks for all the info. I'm glad that I can get the phone installed on my car!!!