Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W211 - Speaker only upgrade on Harmon Kardon system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Link is dead

Originally Posted by pinebaron
http://www.systembiz.com/W211Speaker...lifierinstall/

Let me know if you have any questions and I will explain or add more pictures to the site.
it’s been so long the link provided no longer works. I’m also attempting to replace amp/sub but retain stock speakers & head unit. Any & all details would be much appreciated. Also my center speaker (dash) sounds distorted (blown) I’ve researched on gluing it as a repair but any suggestions with a replacement? I’m capable of running wires, installing fuse, etc. whatever need be but I really hate the task & time is limited for me these days.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes GL63
Originally Posted by teddymb
it’s been so long the link provided no longer works. I’m also attempting to replace amp/sub but retain stock speakers & head unit. Any & all details would be much appreciated. Also my center speaker (dash) sounds distorted (blown) I’ve researched on gluing it as a repair but any suggestions with a replacement? I’m capable of running wires, installing fuse, etc. whatever need be but I really hate the task & time is limited for me these days.
I used to be a certified installer, and can tell you this… replacing your speakers only, using all original OEM equipt, you find the highs and vocals will improve, but will lack mid bass low frequency respond most of the time. This is because the ORM speakers are calibrated and EQed with the OEM system. The first step in improving the stock systems’ sound is to get al flat frequency response to a DSP processor, then amplify it to your speakers. Then, replace the speakers. If you want a tad more, then replace the factory head unit if possible.
Old 05-14-2023, 03:44 PM

W211
re

Last edited by Flintas; 05-14-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2023, 03:49 PM

W211
Originally Posted by pinebaron
Upgrade is done for now and I will pause a while. There is absolutely no physically visible sign of an upgrade. No wires, no subs, controllers nothing; everything is put away next to NAV in the rear (see photo prior to beginning project and one when I was close to done). The only down side is everything needs to be preadjusted but I don't expect to change settings until and if I replace door speakers.

In the meantime, I will listen to the new level of audio, appreciate/critique quality of sound from OEM speakers and decide if I should upgrade door speakers. I don't really need more base but for those of you who cannot live without extreme base, you should just get an amp and initially drive OEM subwoofer to establish its capacity and durability. 10" subs are readily available.

I've taken loads of pictures but need to sequence them properly, add a little narrative prior to publishing them on my web site; give me a few days.
Hello,

I understand it's been a long time, but could you advise where you got the Input for the external amplifier, when the input from the main unit is optically driven?
Alternatively, how is the external amplifier connected? thank you very much for any answer

Petr