Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

How to enable viewing of DVD Movie while moving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s & CLK63
Question How to enable viewing of DVD Movie while moving?

Hi,

My friend purchased a 2009 E350 with Nav. It will play a DVD movie if the vehicle is in Park but as soon as you put the car in drive, it disables it which makes it completely useless since who is going to go out in the garage to watch a movie? He wants it so the kids can watch a movie if traveling.

Anyone know a way to disable this so it works all the time?

Thanks for any help.

David
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
MB has rear seat entertainment kits that can be mounted on the backs seats (better for kids) as long as you don't have dynamic seats. The only way I have heard of this being disabled is with a VIM module that mid city engineering makes, but I do not see one for this vehicle on their site.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 PM

C63s & CLK63
Thanks. I emailed them about what can be done and will post what they have to say.

D
Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Be sure you inform your insurance agent you've made this change.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM

C63s & CLK63
Originally Posted by lkchris
Be sure you inform your insurance agent you've made this change.
And why would I do that?

My Escalade plays movies when driving as have other vehicles I have owned and never needed to contact my insurance company. Dumb of MB to disable this option since who is going to watch a movie while parked. If the kids want to watch a DVD while on a trip, it should work.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Until a less-able driver gets distracted and kills someone because they are watching a movie instead of the road ..

(and with US laws doesn't that make the owner a bit liable ??)

Thats why DVD in motion is illegal in most of Europe !

Richard
Old 09-08-2010, 06:01 PM

C63s & CLK63
Originally Posted by Richard
Until a less-able driver gets distracted and kills someone because they are watching a movie instead of the road ..

(and with US laws doesn't that make the owner a bit liable ??)

Thats why DVD in motion is illegal in most of Europe !

Richard
Well, my friend won't be likely driving it in Europe so he should be Ok since it is LEGAL here in the USA and he doesn't see why a passenger can't enjoy a movie while in motion because he won't be watching it, they will. If you have a Nav unit one could make the same claim it shouldn't be used while driving because you take your eyes off the road to look at it but millions of vehicles have them in use everyday.

If someone is the type of driver who gets easily destracted then they shouldn't have any other electronics going while operating their vehicle in my opinion but to decide No one can seems overly restrictive to me. Have a warning declaration then allow the operator to decide the risk. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Originally Posted by David_AMG
since it is LEGAL here in the USA

If you have a Nav unit one could make the same claim it shouldn't be used while driving because you take your eyes off the road to look at it but millions of vehicles have them in use everyday.
Hi
Interestingly, EU law is forcing the displays to be higher and higher (note the W204/W212/... with displays at top of dashboard) to prevent people looking down, and also not being able to enter addresses etc whilst in motion.
- So somewhere there is a survey that shows 1 person was injured because driver was fidding with sat-nav so the industry has to spend €10billion as a result :-(

I am slightly surprised that the US liability laws (which as a European seem rather strong), in this case, create stronger rules than in Europe !

Anyway, don't want to re-awaken the 'Is VIM good or bad' debate - just interested to know what the different laws are that are in place / affecting car makers ..

Richard
Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 PM

96' E320
Tell your friend to go to a stereo shop that does high end cars. Its a common request. There is a way to trick the system. In my car it was a matter of disconnecting one wire.

Good luck
Old 10-05-2010, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by sandro
Tell your friend to go to a stereo shop that does high end cars. Its a common request. There is a way to trick the system. In my car it was a matter of disconnecting one wire.

Good luck
That must be from the time when the head unit had a specific speed signal? If the car in question was a 2009 model with NTG2.5, or even if it was the older NTG1, removing any combination of wires would not make DVD enabled (it could get completely disabled ). NTG1 has its options via Star but NTG2.5 would need a VIM module.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Well, my friend won't be likely driving it in Europe so he should be Ok since it is LEGAL here in the USA
That's an overly broad statement - many states do not allow use of a video display visible to the driver, unless it is for navigation, or displaying audio system or other controls. See http://www.digitaltips.org/in-vehicle/stateLaws.asp
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
hey I found this for ya.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Mercedes-GL...#ht_724wt_1139

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Mercedes-GL...#ht_671wt_1139

a $200 and $100 version on ebay along with 100% positive feedback

I know that those normally go for a lot more

Last edited by jbondox; 10-06-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
And of course everyone has opinions... casts comments about how it is illegal and what not, but on their way home, they run the red light, exceed the speed limit, illegal right hand turn, no turn signal when switching lanes, talking on the phone...

I just love the internet...
Old 10-06-2010, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by jbondox
And of course everyone has opinions... casts comments about how it is illegal and what not, but on their way home, they run the red light, exceed the speed limit, illegal right hand turn, no turn signal when switching lanes, talking on the phone...

I just love the internet...
And some say anything to promote an opportunity sell installation services to car owners? One member had an incorrect understanding about the US law (generally, may have been correct for his state but the comment was written as if it applied to the whole US). I hope you did not find it annoying when this misunderstanding was corrected.

I think a warning is well justified in cases like VIM activation. We all do illegal things while driving (intentionally or accidentally) but this does not make these actions legal for other drivers.

To some extent the final choice can be allowed for the car owner, this example may or may not be one.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:08 PM

C63s & CLK63
Thanks for the replies. I have to agree with the last two posters that while I appreciated those who answered my OP, My friend isn't looking for anyone's permission as to whether he should or not and if it is legal. I would have asked if I thought it was relevant but thanks to all those who were concerned.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
And some say anything to promote an opportunity sell installation services to car owners? One member had an incorrect understanding about the US law (generally, may have been correct for his state but the comment was written as if it applied to the whole US). I hope you did not find it annoying when this misunderstanding was corrected.

I think a warning is well justified in cases like VIM activation. We all do illegal things while driving (intentionally or accidentally) but this does not make these actions legal for other drivers.

To some extent the final choice can be allowed for the car owner, this example may or may not be one.

touche'
Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Thanks for the replies. I have to agree with the last two posters that while I appreciated those who answered my OP, My friend isn't looking for anyone's permission as to whether he should or not and if it is legal. I would have asked if I thought it was relevant but thanks to all those who were concerned.
You are the one who made the incorrect comment about legality in the U.S., and you have been corrected - like it or not.