Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Media Interface Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
I personally think that its the worst thing ever made, however I tried other options and they did not work at all (Bluetooth options) at least this thing works 35% of the time. I get lots of device incompatible, or booting while already driving for 30 minutes, or have to unplug it because sound cuts off during a call.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Was MB 2009 E350 AWD. Now 2016 MB E350 AWD
It turns out my MIP unit is probably going bad. When I unplugged it, my call quality using Bluetooth is now perfect. I'll try the MIP again today for calls but with all other items removed from the glove box. Maybe there is interference??

I did try a factory reset last week, didn't improve anything.

Anyone have an update if my firmware version is the latest or found links on MBUSA.com?

Originally Posted by jaisonline
I did a search but couldn't found the right "hit".

So I upgraded to the iPhone 5. Everything music related works with my 2 yr old Media Interface Plus ( MIP) .

1 Only prob is that Bluetooth calling quality is so so now. While the phone rings when calling someone, I hear static the majority of the time. While talking to someone, it is a 40% chance I have to turn off the phone's Bluetooth since we can't hear each other. Note: I did experience the latter using my iPhone 4 only a few times.

2 I did notice that on the 5, "MB Bluetooth" is used now instead of "MI Plus" within the phone's audio when in a call. When I had the 4, MI Plus was always automatically selected.

3 The MIP page has been buried in MBUSA.com. Anyone have a direct link? I trying to see whether either firmware were updated. I have 00.57.2.00.47 (device) and 15-14-4 (boot loader).

Last edited by jaisonline; 10-05-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM
haa

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts
Same problem after upgrading to iPhone 5 with MIP+ and my 2011 G55.
Reset MIP+ and no improvement.
Had dealer replace my MIP+ with new unit and no improvement.
Tried my wife's iPhone 5 and no improvement.
Finally, I decided to simply remove the MIP+ and I use an extension cord to allow connecting my iPhone directly to the glove box.

I did a search but couldn't found the right "hit".

So I upgraded to the iPhone 5. Everything music related works with my 2 yr old Media Interface Plus ( MIP) .

1 Only prob is that Bluetooth calling quality is so so now. While the phone rings when calling someone, I hear static the majority of the time. While talking to someone, it is a 40% chance I have to turn off the phone's Bluetooth since we can't hear each other. Note: I did experience the latter using my iPhone 4 only a few times.

2 I did notice that on the 5, "MB Bluetooth" is used now instead of "MI Plus" within the phone's audio when in a call. When I had the 4, MI Plus was always automatically selected.

3 The MIP page has been buried in MBUSA.com. Anyone have a direct link? I trying to see whether either firmware were updated. I have 00.57.2.00.47 (device) and 15-14-4 (boot loader).
Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 PM

c class w204 with command
Originally Posted by mcw
so your MIP sw version still

00.57 2 00.47
15 14 4

right?
hi i got MIP andwanted to upgrade the software.i have put the application software three files in the pen drive and connected to the MIP through USB cable, but it does not upgrade. alsowhen I press button to show the software version of the MIP it does not show any version.
is something wrong with the MIP or elsewhere. can you guide me please
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM

I also have the static problem on my MIP. Actually the MIP works fine, but the COMAND built in telephone bluetooth is scratchy and static.

When I remove the MIP the bluetooth calls are perfect. Has anyone figured out a solution?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
xoy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone found out how to solve the "static" noise problem?? I Got i also with my iPhone 5...?? I am sooo tired of it ;(

Didn't try to update my mip+ yet??
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 AM

W463 G63, W213 E63S, W204 C63
Figured out how to solve the static!

When I first installed my MIP, followed the manual exactly and paired the MIP to the COMAND via bluetooth. This is only necessary if you want to transfer contacts from your iphone to the COMAND phonebook.

I reset the connection, and removed MIP from the COMAND bluetooth list.

The reason for the static was that the phone would be jumping between connections of MI PLUS and MB (COMAND), in other words, the phone would jump a connection to the MIP and then the MIP would pass the bluetooth connection to the COMAND system for phone calls.

Now the phone works flawlessly, just ensure that your phone is paired properly to the COMAND system, and during phone calls, bluetooth connection is to MB not MI PLUS. It shouldnt connect back to MI PLUS for phone calls anymore though.

Try it out and let me know.

The only issue I have now is the overall bluetooth streaming quality.
Vocals are very staticy, does anyone else notice this?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 PM

Mercedes Benz GL450
media interface plus video aux no sound

i have a 2009 gl450 i just installed a mip with video cable now pandora works 100%,audio streaming work 90% what i have a problem is in video when i put on my command video aux i only get the picture but no sound this is with my ipod classic i also tried with my iPad and also notice that nextflix,airplay,sling box apps work ) but i dont have any sound (. is there any tweaks im missing??? thank you

Last edited by ecuabenz; 02-08-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 PM

Mercedes Benz GL450
Media interface plus no sound on video aux

Today i took my 2009 gl450 to the dealer in bayside queens.
They check, update command system, reset all mip setting and they couldn't
get the audio of my iPod video to work. i can only hear the movie when i set the audio option but when i change it to video aux the sound goes out. They replace the mip unit and also replace the video cable and no luck. for some reason i believe the command system believe that when i choose video aux it needs to cut the sound off. please if anyone has any idea let me know. I will take it to the dealer again hopefully ill get better results.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
I have to say that I am only a casual observer in this thread. As much as I feel the pain of those who are trying to make the command system work as it truly should I am feeling really good about my decision to pull the Command unit from my vehicle and replace it with an Alpine HU. I can effortlessly stream Pandora and normal audio via bluetooth or jack in my MP3 player via earphone jack or anything else via USB. The hands free phone operation is a breeze via BT again right out of the box. Don't get me wrong there are a few ho hums like Alpine discontinued the steering wheel control interface for my vehicle just before I bought it and my Garmin is a stand alone system but on the bright side it is easier to upgrade the maps that way. Overall just wanted to say good luck.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:58 PM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by ecuabenz
i have a 2009 gl450 i just installed a mip with video cable now pandora works 100%,audio streaming work 90% what i have a problem is in video when i put on my command video aux i only get the picture but no sound this is with my ipod classic i also tried with my iPad and also notice that nextflix,airplay,sling box apps work ) but i dont have any sound (. is there any tweaks im missing??? thank you
I've got the same exact problem w/o a solution
Old 04-18-2013, 02:08 AM

A250 Sports
Tune2Air WMA1000 Bluetooth A2DP Music Receiver

I would like to share my recent purchase which will do the same trick but without all the hassles and the cost is low too.

Recently, I've got an Mercedes/Audi A2DP receiver from ViseeO. It is called Tune2Air WMA1000 which will work with native iPod app on your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, and also the online music services such as Pandora and Sportify. The unit is designed for the native iPod app on my iphone which will not only stream music but also transfer the whole music library and song titles to your Audi screen, and I can control the music from the steering wheel button or head unit control directly. Then I have tried it on Sportify, the unit still stream music to my Audi but the only downside is the music list which can not be imported like the native iPod app. However, it does work which I think is quite good. The auto reconnection with your phone is also instant which I think is another plus.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by dailo
Figured out how to solve the static!

When I first installed my MIP, followed the manual exactly and paired the MIP to the COMAND via bluetooth. This is only necessary if you want to transfer contacts from your iphone to the COMAND phonebook.

I reset the connection, and removed MIP from the COMAND bluetooth list.

The reason for the static was that the phone would be jumping between connections of MI PLUS and MB (COMAND), in other words, the phone would jump a connection to the MIP and then the MIP would pass the bluetooth connection to the COMAND system for phone calls.

Now the phone works flawlessly, just ensure that your phone is paired properly to the COMAND system, and during phone calls, bluetooth connection is to MB not MI PLUS. It shouldnt connect back to MI PLUS for phone calls anymore though.

Try it out and let me know.

The only issue I have now is the overall bluetooth streaming quality.
Vocals are very staticy, does anyone else notice this?
I followed the steps. Phone call quality with the MIP connected is still so-so. Voices still fade in and out. Started with iOS 5 on my iPhone 4. I have an iPhone 5 now.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:06 PM

ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
Bluetooth - NOT MIP, it's COMAND

I followed the steps. Phone call quality with the MIP connected is still so-so. Voices still fade in and out. Started with iOS 5 on my iPhone 4. I have an iPhone 5 now.
I don't think the phone call audio fading in and out has anything to do with the Media Interface Plus (MIP) device at all.

My iphone used to work perfectly, MIP connected and in use...until Apple rolled out their iOS update.

Late model Mercedes owners are not the only ones impacted. If you Bing or Google bluetooth problems with iPhone, you'll see a ton of people having the fading and connection issues with the iphone since Apple released iOS updates.
They ruined everything!

Note that my work Blackberry works perfect still, with COMAND. No audio fading at all, great call quality...MIP always hooked up.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:38 AM

I think it is a combination of ioS 5.0 (and newer) and MB not testing their MIP with the newer iOS versions. Too bad MB has no intention to test it. So much for a $240 investment that promised future functionality. At least audio / music streamlining still works.

Note: Call and music straming quality were super clear when I had a 2013 C-Class for almost 2 days. So it seems the prob is with the MIP and iOS 5+.

Originally Posted by johnnr
I don't think the phone call audio fading in and out has anything to do with the Media Interface Plus (MIP) device at all.

My iphone used to work perfectly, MIP connected and in use...until Apple rolled out their iOS update.

Late model Mercedes owners are not the only ones impacted. If you Bing or Google bluetooth problems with iPhone, you'll see a ton of people having the fading and connection issues with the iphone since Apple released iOS updates.
They ruined everything!

Note that my work Blackberry works perfect still, with COMAND. No audio fading at all, great call quality...MIP always hooked up.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:13 AM

GLK 220
I cannot believe that there is no firmware update for the MIP to improve the overall quality.
In my case both my Lumia 920 and iPhone 4 audio streaming quality is terrible and it's not a fault of the phones as the audio streaming quality when connected to my Peogeut 308 is fantastic.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 AM

w216
Apple, with recent software upgrades iOS 6 and the brand new iOS 7 (just released!)
states that iPhone 4 and up are now --->supporting MAP<--- (Messaging Access Profile)
This is the requirement for the Media Plus Interface to allow TXT message/email reading etc... !

so my question is:
has anyone tried to check if an iPhone 4/4S with iOS6 or iOS7 installed can now fully integrate with MIP allowing also to read txt messages on NTG 4 COMAND display??

Last edited by hartbreak; 09-20-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:18 PM

w216
guess maybe I will be the first to try!
I just ordered the MIP.... $$$ but couldn't help with it!!
well, we will check things when it gets here

Last edited by hartbreak; 09-20-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E350 Arctic White AMG Sport package W/ P2 option, 2002 C230 kompressor Coupe
Originally Posted by hartbreak
so my question is:
has anyone tried to check if an iPhone 4/4S with iOS6 or iOS7 installed can now fully integrate with MIP allowing also to read txt messages on NTG 4 COMAND display??
I checked my iPhone 5 and still no luck reding text. Although the MIP is a great idea, it not worth the money. Have regular issues when on the phone hearing the caller. If I unplug the MIP everything works great. My first call after upgrading worked perfectly and then back to the cutout issues.

I am thinking about trying the tune2air option.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:51 PM

GL 450
Hello...Does anyone know if you can see your emails and texts using the mip with an iphone 4s using the new ios7? I can stream music but my calls fade in and out and no sms or emails so far. Any advice?? Please??
Old 12-27-2013, 05:21 PM

SL 63, GL 500
RSE and video while driving

good day guys,

just one question to the MIP owners with Rear Seat Entertainment System.
can you watch movies while driving on RSE screen ?

no problem ? orotherwords: anyone succeded ?
Old 12-27-2013, 05:29 PM

ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
Yup. MIP has no impact on watching movies on
The rear screens. If you mean watching movies with an iPhone, you'll still need that special cable to get the picture to come through. Or, you can buy separate cable to just connect iPhone to one rear screen using those a/v inputs on the side of the screens.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:51 PM

SL 63, GL 500
many thanks for a quick response.
so to be 200% sure before I go to the shop...
while drving my comand screen is faded out, but still kids can watch their favourite movies on RSE in the back ?

any trick to know (I udnerstand the special video cable is not included in the package) , or simple plug and play ?
Old 12-27-2013, 05:58 PM

ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
Yup.

Kids can still watch DVDs in the rear screens. The driver Comand will only be faded out if you are in the video mode and driving...

Yes, if you're looking to watch movies using iPhone or iPod... You do need a special cable to get the picture to go thru.

Only other idea, as mentioned, is to go to apple and buy the iPhone to a/v connector and hook up the iPhone to one rear screen using those inputs you have on the rear screens.

Why are you looking to get the MIP? I just want to be sure you know what it's going to give you. For me, since I already have Comand in my car, with Bluetooth for phone, mip only added:
1) direct pandora connection (when physically connected to wire in glove compartment
2) audio streaming (of pandora or any other music app
3) although useless, when using my work phone (blackberry) I can read out texts or emails. I NEVER bother.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:24 PM

SL 63, GL 500
the only reason for buying MIP is to select/control my iphone movies using a steering wheel/a head unit.
or am I missing something ?

an a/v cable does not allow me to do that. I need to be distracted from driivng (selecting/controling movies)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Media Interface Plus