Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Universal Handy Interface for MY 2003 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500 Sport Package
Question Universal Handy Interface for MY 2003 SL500

Hello -- Any suggustions where I can get a UHI interface installed into a MY 2003 SL500 ? Are they available yet ?

Any and all details would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2003, 11:52 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
A guy mentioned he had one installed recently in his car, unsure where, what car, how much, etc, over at benzworld.org. His name was "phantom". He hasn't responded to any of the questions that have been asked of him.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Almost a Member!

MBs
So far the UHI is only available as factory installed option. But the parts for a retrofit should become available in a month or so. You'll need the UHI controller, the UHI connector plate, the cover for it when not in use, the individual adapter for one of the compatible phones, and Bluetooth antenna, the harnesses and some mounting hardware. As factory option it costs EUR 460, a retrofit will be more.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:56 PM

2003 SL500 Sport Package
Thanks for the info -- I assume the costs will still be more reasonable then the MB V.60 kit.

Additionally we will be able to use certain Nokia phones instead of the crappy V.60 moto phone.

Regards,

- rajs
Old 07-11-2003, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by RajS
Thanks for the info -- I assume the costs will still be more reasonable then the MB V.60 kit.

Additionally we will be able to use certain Nokia phones instead of the crappy V.60 moto phone.

Regards,

- rajs
We can already use the same "certain Nokia phones" instead of Motorola phones, and at a lot cheaper cost than the UHI. I currently use my Nokia 6310i on AT&T, amongst my various cars.

Since the UHI is currently only planned for non-US availability, using the non-US Nokia PSE should be an option for you.

You can purchase the parts for a full phone kit from non-US dealers, or Steve (MBenzNL) has them available as well: s_krabbenborg@hotmail.com

-s-
Old 07-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Originally posted by scorchie
We can already use the same "certain Nokia phones" instead of Motorola phones, and at a lot cheaper cost than the UHI. I currently use my Nokia 6310i on AT&T, amongst my various cars.
scorchie,

I wouldn't waste my money on a Nokia only PSE but wait until the UHI PSE is available. Then you can use not only the 6310i, but also the others. MB has a UHI PSE for both D2B and MOST available now, but not yet in the parts system, so Steve can't order them yet presumably. One can also install the UHI without PSE, for even less, for those cars without COMAND/AUDIO integration. It will still work with the MFL and IC. I took this pic recently of the UHI plug in a CLK cabrio, with cover plate removed. Used the cabrio because the light's better without the roof.

Last edited by ml320; 07-11-2003 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by ml320
scorchie,

I wouldn't waste my money on a Nokia only PSE but wait until the UHI PSE is available. Then you can use not only the 6310i, but also the others.
Wolfgang, I really like that picture!

But I have to disagree on "wasting" money on a Nokia-only PSE.

First of all, from the list of the "supported" UHI phones, there aren't any I would want to use... there is the Nokias supported by the Nokia PSE, the Motorola (v60I only, which I think is garbage), and Siemens (with which personally I have been unimpressed). If someone just wants to use a Nokia phone, then why not a save A LOT of money and get just the Nokia PSE? It seems that the list price on the parts that are already available is much higher than the Nokia-only parts, and we'll have to add even more parts (and expense) to that.

Since the phone I want to use doesn't yet have a UHI adapter available, the system might be of questionable benefit to someone like myself.

-s-
Old 07-11-2003, 03:28 PM

2003 SL500 Sport Package
Guys -- I am a retard as far as doing wiring and pulling things out inside the car -- how tough is the kit that Steve would sell to put in myself ?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2003, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by RajS
Guys -- I am a retard as far as doing wiring and pulling things out inside the car -- how tough is the kit that Steve would sell to put in myself ?

Thanks
Pretty easy, I think... but... I haven't looked very closely at the location of the parts in the R230 SL. The difficulty depends on how many interior panels need to be moved to get to the location of the PSE mounting.

-s-
Old 07-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Originally posted by scorchie
why not a save A LOT of money and get just the Nokia PSE?

Since the phone I want to use doesn't yet have a UHI adapter available, the system might be of questionable benefit to someone like myself.

scorchie,

where do you get the idea that the UHI is "A LOT of money"? It's just a different PSE, about the same price as the Nokia only PSE.

No UHI adapter? I have the UHI adapter for the 6310i right here and have been phoning with it for a couple weeks now... Retail pricing is EUR 104 - not a lot of money IMHO compared to $595 MB V60i phones... And don't forget that you don't need the Nokia cradle for $100+, since the adapter functions as the cradle as well.

I have the 6310i running on a Vodafone SIMS card right now, so it's a on a German phone number starting with 011 49 162..., but ringing in California (or anywhere else in the world for that matter). Do you have a good source for US SIMS cards for it, you know without having to subscribe to expensive 'plans' which cost A LOT of money?

Wolfgang

Last edited by ml320; 07-11-2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by ml320
scorchie,

where do you get the idea that the UHI is "A LOT of money"? It's just a different PSE, about the same price as the Nokia only PSE.

No UHI adapter? I have the UHI adapter for the 6310i right here and have been phoning with it for a couple weeks now... Retail pricing is EUR 104 - not a lot of money IMHO compared to $595 MB V60i phones... And don't forget that you don't need the Nokia cradle for $100+, since the adapter functions as the cradle as well.

I have the 6310i running on a Vodafone SIMS card right now, so it's a on a German phone number starting with 011 49 162..., but ringing in California (or anywhere else in the world for that matter). Do you have a good source for US SIMS cards for it, you know without having to subscribe to expensive 'plans'?
I think I got the idea of pricing from you. Seriously!

Here's where the pricing starts...

EUR 104 for cradle; on the standard system, the cradle/clip combo is about US $80 (I'm using the newer 6210/6310 only cradle, the A209 part... it's cheaper and looks better, and the clip is only EUR 6).

The PSEs, since we don't have pricing, we'll assume they are similarly priced.

Next, I'm still missing the part the adapter plugs into, this is the UHI interface, correct? The part that sits in the center console and plugs in to the wiring. What does that part cost? A substantial amount, I think.

Finally, there are some Bluetooth parts, too, correct? Those can't be cheap... but we're not yet sure if we can leave them off safely.

So, I think the cost is getting up there.

Now, if the UHI supported the newer Nokia phones, I would definitely think it was worth the money. I would like to use any of the newer ones with a POP-port, such as 7250i, 6200, 6800, etc. But for just using a 6310i, there's already a cheaper solution.

Oh, my suggestion for a cheap non-contract SIM... try AT&T's "Go Phone". Buy a 3590 phone with a SIM for about $60-70, and can put the SIM in any other unlocked phone. Then the plans start at $20-25 with no contract. I am not sure if you actually have to buy the phone, because when I go to my AT&T rep she just saves up the SIMs from my non-activated phone purchases and then hands them back to me when I need another line.

Hope that helps!

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 07-11-2003 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Let's see. When I started using it, there were only 2 adapters out, for Nokias and one Siemens series. Now there are 4 and supporting more than a dozen or so models. That's just another advantage of this setup, that it doesn't lock you into a particular (maybe outdated) phone and PSE, but you just have to get another adapter as you go along to newer phones. It seems every few months a new phone is in fashion, Siemens S55 in Germany now, picture phones in Korea..

The UHI plug is just that, a plug, and shouldn't be expensive. You also need some harnesses and mounting screws. Just like with any other phone setup. The Bluetooth antenna you don't need if you like to pinch pennies...

I'll stick with Vodafone SIMS cards for the time being. They appear to be less than ATT Wireless cards.

Wolfgang

Last edited by ml320; 07-11-2003 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Here's a picture of the Siemens S55 picture phone. Plugs into the UHI. And runs on a Vodafone Sim card in the USA, too... I haven't gotten mine yet.

Last edited by ml320; 07-12-2003 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:25 AM

CL 600 W215
sim card missing

can anyone help I have bought a cl 600 2000yr which I am so happy with but I cant find where to fit the sim card for the phone and dash board says sim card missing any ideas ?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:57 PM

2006 E55
Installing Bluetooth Phone Kit in 2003 SL500

I just bought a Bluetooth phone kit from Steve Krabenborg at MbenzNL for my 2003 SL500. It includes the puck and mounting plate w 2 wires for the center console arm rest and the phone controller. The question is: where does the phone controller go? Steve indicates it goes either behind the rear center panel or behind the passenger side B pillar side panel. Before I start opening up the panels, can anyone tell me where the jack for the controller can be found?

Any installation advice would be appreciated. This is my third MB phone kit installation, so I expect I will figure it out, but any knowing advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Greg
Old 06-12-2014, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Unfortunately the links to the MB phone bulletins are no longer available on Paul H. Dick's website; but there is a way to get them.

The phone bulletin will give you photos and a description as to where components go. See post #667 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...s-plug-67.html - or alternatively see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...bulletins.html