Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Convert Comand in Japanese MB to European

Old 03-24-2017, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W461 290GD
Convert Japanese Comand to European standard

Somone with experience on this subject? I ask in general about MBs from Japan but the cars in question are W211 and W219 with Most (NTG1 Comand). What is the best and easiest way to get the system to work like an European model? Alternative an aftermarket headunit instead of the NTG1. Anyone done the job and can give me some tip? The systems are totally different in Japan and Europe.

Last edited by 290GD; 03-24-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E250
Maybe this will help somebody, maybe not, whatever...

One of the primary reasons I installed a Joyeauto unit into my 2014 MB E-class was to be able to see Waze navigation on my dashboard. Yeah, there have been plenty of other nice features to enjoy, but that was what got me started.

So imagine my disappointment when, a month or two ago, the microphone icon disappeared in my Joyeauto Waze display. I was accustomed to using my MB's console dial to select the Waze microphone in order to use voice commands to tell Waze where I wanted to go. And now the mike icon was gone and I was reduced to telling my iPhone where I wanted to go, rather than talking directly to Waze in Joyeauto.

Today I discovered I could say, "Hey Siri...tell Waze to take me to the nearest Starbucks" and it would work. I don't need the Waze microphone icon. Yay. And now you know.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:47 AM

cla250
Hey guys, I ordered my unit from road top, it arrived soon after my purchase.
However I meet some serious problems when installing, would you like to help?

1. the cables arrived as broken, so the seller just sent another set via DHL, pretty good service.

2. when i was trying to put head unit back with new lvsd and big harness installed(i rewired them out through the back of the right side, and pulled them out from the gap besides the glove box), and i just cannot insert head unit into the deep...

3. when i was trying to put head unit back, the air vent screw on right side got fallen down somewhere in the cabinet. I cannot see where it is, i tried to find it with my fingers, but still don't know where it is... I can hear rattling sound on highway, which is really annoying... anyone know how to disassembly the cabinet? or any good idea with how to find the screw?

Thank you all!!
Old 07-30-2020, 02:44 AM

cla250
Originally Posted by lukka
Hey guys, I ordered my unit from road top, it arrived soon after my purchase.
However I meet some serious problems when installing, would you like to help?

1. the cables arrived as broken, so the seller just sent another set via DHL, pretty good service.

2. when i was trying to put head unit back with new lvsd and big harness installed(i rewired them out through the back of the right side, and pulled them out from the gap besides the glove box), and i just cannot insert head unit into the deep...

3. when i was trying to put head unit back, the air vent screw on right side got fallen down somewhere in the cabinet. I cannot see where it is, i tried to find it with my fingers, but still don't know where it is... I can hear rattling sound on highway, which is really annoying... anyone know how to disassembly the cabinet? or any good idea with how to find the screw?

Thank you all!!
Hah, i just found this video
the screw is there, also i think i can put the box and cables in this sink, and wire ami cable through here
even you don't have to use ami and always connect MBBluetooth with your phone when using carplay(so the sound goes through bt not from box), but it's a good way to hide the audio cable.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 GL450
magnetic pickup tool cheap at harborfreight or at most autoparts store like autozone. extends like antenna there are some bendy ones too get small one so you can probe around and eventually catch it.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-13-2020, 09:07 AM

2013 GL350
HDMI input, ntg 4.5, and latest RoadTop type unit

Hey all, I tried to read through all the posts but I may have missed this one.

I have ntg4.5, (I think) and have had some success with the analog video input and some hdmi adapters, but it's clunky and noisy.

I'm planning on adding one of these carplay/android auto boxes, and the newer generation has HDMI input. Has anyone used that? And if so, has anyone used it with the oem MB rear seat screens? I'm also curious what hdcp level it works with.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:51 AM
wsc

BMW E46
C Class / W204 - but any tips on getting the unit back in, really struggling? Planning on putting the RoadTop unit under the glove box.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C204 COUPE
Hey Guys,
think forum convinced me to take the action and buy the RoadTop unit for carplay/android auto.
All installed successfully and had to activate AUX and External AMP for the sound to work.
I am facing an issue now where no sound is working at all for BLUETOOTH and AUX.

I went back into the settings and did a reset for BLUETOOTH sound to work again however no AUX works.
BLUETOOTH is fine however when i want to put on navigations such as google and waze i get no sound for navigation.

Wonder if anyone has experienced this or know why the AUX all of a sudden stopped working
Old 10-11-2020, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C204 COUPE
i had to remove some insulation from behind the HU to allow access for wire harness. Unit under the glovebox with usb wire access tucked into the side net
The following users liked this post:
wsc (10-11-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 01:31 AM

2012 c63 estate
what is the current pick?

I have a joyeauto unit but a mate just grabbed a c204 and not sure if carsara or roadtop are better
Old 12-08-2020, 06:59 AM

W176
Welcome friends. I ordered the Roadtop. It will be in a few days.
I want to use both systems alternately. CarPlay system and original MB system.
CarPlay phone call problem. Has the device engineer tweaked something in the software so that I don't need to disconnect BT from my MB?
Old 02-02-2021, 01:33 AM

Mercedes E
Hi all,

Who can help me? I have made the last update for joyeauto device, but I am unlucky "Burn failed, try again" now my device doesn't work. How I can re-install all or do something? please help.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:11 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 S550 4Matic, 2007 GL450, 2008 C300, 2018 GLE63 AMG
Originally Posted by Kristo129
Hi all,

Who can help me? I have made the last update for joyeauto device, but I am unlucky "Burn failed, try again" now my device doesn't work. How I can re-install all or do something? please help.

why not contact joyeauto
Old 08-14-2021, 12:20 AM

GL450 2013
In general and FWIW, I've had good success with my joyeauto unit in my GL450 W166. Joyeauto has been responsive to my questions. I was even able flash the latest firmware and software with their help. I had one issue that I was able to fix. I learned I wasn't able to hear my caller through Carplay because the BT was competing with my paired phone to the OEM nav/radio. Fixed this my unpairing with my MB system and just using Carplay. Otherwise, the only other quirk is sometimes the scroll knob doesn't work smoothly in carplay mode but it goes away as soon as I switch out of carplay and back in (long press back button). Otherwise, everything else works really well... phone, messages, siri, music, maps, etc.. The only thing for me that would make it perfect (besides occasional scroll issue) is a quick way for me to access the 360 camera from carplay mode without going into reverse. I love using my 360 camera for driving into stalls. Joyeauto, can you do this??
Old 08-23-2021, 01:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 W212 E350
Originally Posted by ssmann1990
Hey Guys,
think forum convinced me to take the action and buy the RoadTop unit for carplay/android auto.
All installed successfully and had to activate AUX and External AMP for the sound to work.
I am facing an issue now where no sound is working at all for BLUETOOTH and AUX.

I went back into the settings and did a reset for BLUETOOTH sound to work again however no AUX works.
BLUETOOTH is fine however when i want to put on navigations such as google and waze i get no sound for navigation.

Wonder if anyone has experienced this or know why the AUX all of a sudden stopped working
Where was your AUX connection? Mine was in the center console. Routed the aux from the unit under the console and drilled a small hole. Wire should be long enough if not easy to find a new one which you can connect instead. Then connected to the factory AUX cable hookup. For the USB I simply used a long enough wire and ran it along with the aux. IMO this was easier and a cleaner look than leaving a wire hanging out by the net. Also keeps the phone out of the way since it's not being used anyway.

I'm assuming that if your aux is near the head unit you can route while head unit and center console is dismantled.

(Please disregard the dust)

Old 12-22-2021, 04:49 AM

w176
hi
I have this problem in my roadtop box. When I turn on the indicator, the radio switches to a different view (as if the car thought I had a front camera). When the turn signal stops working, everything returns to its place. Let me add that carplay music works all the time. Link with my problem.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:14 PM

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E350 Facelift (Japan Import) 2007 E350 Elegance Wagon, 2014 E350 Wagon facelift model Jap Model
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 290GD
Somone with experience on this subject? I ask in general about MBs from Japan but the cars in question are W211 and W219 with Most (NTG1 Comand). What is the best and easiest way to get the system to work like an European model? Alternative an aftermarket headunit instead of the NTG1. Anyone done the job and can give me some tip? The systems are totally different in Japan and Europe.
Hey mate I have a JDM delivered E350 2014 Wagon and can confirm 100% that the NTG is different and CANNOT be altered to any other region, even certain hidden menu key presses dont work on it!!

I have had the forum Guru, Benzninja, connected to it and even he was stumped and contacted his mate in Germany who is with Benz to check and they said the same, the Jap units are totally different to all others in the world and they're a pain in the **** to work with,

I was going to buy a NTG 4.5 from a wrecked local Aussie car so I would have Aust maps etc as Benzninja can recode it to suit my VIN no issue but I have bought a 12.3" Android 11 touch screen upgrade unit I am in the process of installing now.

My suggestion is to do the same, buy it from Aliexpress directly and save a bit of money along the way.

Cheers.
DirtyDarko (06-18-2023)
Old 08-25-2022, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ML350 BlueTec
Even with AUX setting I have no CarPlay audio

Originally Posted by ssmann1990
Hey Guys,

I bought an other unit from ANDREAM that looks to be identical to the RoadTop. With it I have a similar issue to this one above in that I do not get audio from CarPlay. I changed the AUX to be on, but still no audio. ANDREAM has not been very helpful and I suspect they are just another front for the same build that RoadTop uses. Their solution is to run the audio jack to the AUX plug (after I buy a converter). The thing is that I am sure it is not needed based on the OP work in this thread.

Does anyone have any thought on what might be going on?

A thought I have is that there are lots of settings in the MMI menu (where you set the volume levels for speakers and mic) and perhaps something is off there. Unfortunately ANDREAM does not have a manual for that menu system to explain any of the settings. Wondering if anyone has a link to the manual for this backend menu?
Aussie_E350_Wag (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 09:38 PM

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E350 Facelift (Japan Import) 2007 E350 Elegance Wagon, 2014 E350 Wagon facelift model Jap Model
Angry

Originally Posted by SchneiderIS
I bought an other unit from ANDREAM that looks to be identical to the RoadTop. With it I have a similar issue to this one above in that I do not get audio from CarPlay. I changed the AUX to be on, but still no audio. ANDREAM has not been very helpful and I suspect they are just another front for the same build that RoadTop uses. Their solution is to run the audio jack to the AUX plug (after I buy a converter). The thing is that I am sure it is not needed based on the OP work in this thread.

Does anyone have any thought on what might be going on?

A thought I have is that there are lots of settings in the MMI menu (where you set the volume levels for speakers and mic) and perhaps something is off there. Unfortunately ANDREAM does not have a manual for that menu system to explain any of the settings. Wondering if anyone has a link to the manual for this backend menu?
I have the exact same issue mate, nothing i do will get audio working via the AMI port!!!
Old 08-25-2022, 10:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ML350 BlueTec
Which unit do you have?

I am trying to find information on the MMI menu to see what I can find there. Then there is the wiring harness to see if there is something there.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:39 AM

2012 C207 E220 Cdi Coupe
Is there a way to get nav prompts like you do with the standard nav box on the dashboard display with any of these units?

Im debating changing the one I have wired in the back to one which will replace the becker nav box. But I like that I can have the nav info on the dash.