Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sirius Satellite radio antenna question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius Satellite radio antenna question

I did a search on here for the Sirius radio install and saw the pictures of the VERY ugly antenna on the trunk lid. I am in the process of buying a 2005 C230 and mentioned to my sales guy that I would like to get the Sirius installed but would like to place the antenna elsewhere. He checked with the service guy and he said it could be placed in the rear window (inside of the car behind the seats on that flat part). He said I may loose some signal, but not too much. Is this an alternate place (other than in the middle of the trunk lid)? Has anyone done this? If so, any pictures? Thanks a million!
Old 08-11-2004, 03:46 PM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Originally Posted by jrcase
I did a search on here for the Sirius radio install and saw the pictures of the VERY ugly antenna on the trunk lid. I am in the process of buying a 2005 C230 and mentioned to my sales guy that I would like to get the Sirius installed but would like to place the antenna elsewhere. He checked with the service guy and he said it could be placed in the rear window (inside of the car behind the seats on that flat part). He said I may loose some signal, but not too much. Is this an alternate place (other than in the middle of the trunk lid)? Has anyone done this? If so, any pictures? Thanks a million!
do a search for "t-bones install" or "satellite antenna install" I have mine installed under rear deck inside the trunk, via his reccomendation, it works fine

Last edited by kort677; 08-11-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:30 AM

Sirius Satellite Antena Instalation

You should try the new SirMini antena for Sirius by Terk.
I just got it from Crutchfield, and it is similar in size to the XMmicro one by Terk.
I also called the Tech support at "Terk", and was ensured that you do Not need the additional Plastic tail conduit, that come with it, for instalation.
The result: micro antena size and a very low profile instalation, without the bulky size with the 6 Inch tail of the original Sirius antena.

Good Luck!

P.S. I am currently trying painting the antena in original MB silver color, to even greatly modify and enhance this antena.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:11 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Question For Molaub

Hi,

Do you have the Sirius factory installed? Where you able to use the TERK mini antenna with the factory Sirius?? Where did you put the antenna?

Thanks!
Martin-
Old 09-16-2004, 02:29 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
I just had my Sirius SAT radio installed today. The installer uses XMicro Satellite Radio Antenna by TERK. This antenna is very small almost flat 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" (looks like a piece of chocolat bar). The installer installed this antenna on top of the roof by the rear windshield in front of the existing MB antenna. He then routed the antenna wires underneath the windshield molding, then into the trunk. This antenna is so small that you cannot even see it. The web address for TERK is www.terk.com. This antenna will work with both XM and Sirius radio.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:03 PM

06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Pics

Paul,

Any chance you could upload a pic or two?

Jeff
Old 09-18-2004, 11:23 PM

Here is how my Sirius radio antenna is installed, in front of the MB antenna on the roof at the rear windshied. Notice how small the antenna is.
Attached Thumbnails Sirius Satellite radio antenna question-dsc3202_upload.jpg  

Last edited by paulhu; 09-18-2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:31 AM

06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Very Nice

Paul,

Nice!

Jeff
Old 09-20-2004, 02:26 PM

1999 C43 AMG - 2003 E320 CDI (W211) AVANTGARDE (located in Portugal)
Excellent idea
Old 09-20-2004, 02:29 PM

2008 S550 4MATIC
When I had my Sirius radio installed, the installer put the antenna under the hood. It's under the airvent area, and can't be seen from the outside. Very slick. Said it was actually easier to install from inside the engine compartment.

I had this done both on my CL500 and my E320S4.

Works great!
Old 09-24-2004, 06:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by rpdunne
When I had my Sirius radio installed, the installer put the antenna under the hood. It's under the airvent area, and can't be seen from the outside. Very slick. Said it was actually easier to install from inside the engine compartment.

I had this done both on my CL500 and my E320S4.

Works great!
I was at the dealer yesterday to talk about ordering an E320 CDI, and the sales rep said that a memo has just come out from MBUSA howling about the non-standard Sirius antenna installs. They're now claiming that this somehow adversely affects the operation of other systems with cable harnesses running past the antenna.

Even if we concede that there might be a powered LNA in that antenna, any fields generated are insignificant. This is hardly similar to a transmitting antenna. Given that I fly aircraft with my XM receiver happily next to the glareshield, I find this to be silly coming from an auto manufacturer.

For the record, I have been in a vehicle where radio frequency interference caused a safety hazard, but this is not one of those. I find that MBUSA overreacts to this issue in particular. I'm guessing they just want to ensure that all installs look alike for support reasons.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:21 PM

Lightbulb

I have installed them in the 3 2005 220 models, and 1 2004 211 model, I have installed them in the decklid just as the directions tell you to, but if you choose to put them else where, know that the pre-wired factory harness (if your benz is ready for satelite radio) is incorporated into a braided wire harness behind the inner trunk lid liner in the trunk, you would have to cut that open just to get the 2 anttenna wires and route them where ever you choose to put the anttena, could be difficult and could void the warrenty if you cut any other wires that are also in that wire harness, i have seen some people do that to hide their antenna under the rear hatshelf. Another option could be that you install it the way it was designed to fit but have the antenna painted to match the car.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Can you paint the antenna? Wont the metalic paint interfere with reception? What is the antenna housing made of? Does it require Flex?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:51 PM

Check in the E55 AMG forum. I have posted picture of my antenna for Sirius radio mounted on the roof in front of the Tele Aid antenna. I choose to use the Terk XMicro (for XM radio, but yes, it works for me) antenna with my MB Sirius radio system.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:00 AM

2002 S 500 CPO
xm radio

An install guy a Circuit City told me that an after market install of XM Radio would be incompatible with the fiber optic elctronics in my 2002 S 500. Does anyone have any thoughts re: this issue ? Also - if the Circuit City guy is wrong, which satellite radio unit is the best match and what is the best way to do the installation ?
Old 10-31-2004, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by lrsaceman
An install guy a Circuit City told me that an after market install of XM Radio would be incompatible with the fiber optic elctronics in my 2002 S 500. Does anyone have any thoughts re: this issue ? Also - if the Circuit City guy is wrong, which satellite radio unit is the best match and what is the best way to do the installation ?
The Circuit City guy is wrong, as the 2002 S500 system uses an FM antenna just like most other cars. The FM modulator route (which seems desirable for places like CC) would work fine.

-s-