Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

No Audio with NTG4.5 Carplay Kit for 2012 ML350 Bluetec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 ML350 Bluetec
No Audio with NTG4.5 Carplay Kit for 2012 ML350 Bluetec

Hello all - I’m new member here but looking for some help. I purchased one of the Mercedes Benz NTG4.5 / NTG4.7 2012-2015 Wireless Carplay Airplay Decoder for my ML350 (2012 model) to be able to use CarPlay on the car. The purchase was on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/385238516660) and then I followed the instructions from one of the Youtube videos on installation. Connecting the main harness wires (including moving the fiber optic audio cable into the new unit’s main harness) and threading the unit into the HVAC area was relatively easy but I cannot figure out why audio is not outputting once the unit is connected.

I’ve tried:
  1. reseating the main harness in the MB unit to make sure its a correct seal and re-inserting the fiber optic cable multiple times
  2. Make sure the audio source is set to AUX
  3. Gone into the engineering mode menu to enable MOST ON & EXTERNAL AMP in 7.5 and AUDIO AUX ON in 7.7…then let the car sit locked for over an hour
  4. Make sure no mute buttons are on
  5. Deleted all prior bluetooth devices in the mercedes OEM interface
  6. Unplugged anything from the arm center box
I’m confused because no audio is working at all with the new Carplay Unit installed, but when I go back to the OEM headunit then audio works again. Could it be a faulty unit or more likely just a setting in my 2012 MB that I haven’t set right. The instructions that came with my unit made no mention of changing anything in the engineering mode menu FWIW.

Old 08-06-2023, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 coupe
I’ve been looking at replacing the screen in my C350. I’ve been looking at all options and doing tons of research. From what I’ve been reading,:most of these units require your car to come equipped with a AUX input and the CarPlay box gets connected to your OEM radio via that aux in. They say that’s the only way to get sound from CarPlay out of the factory system.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:05 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by RedC350coupe
I’ve been looking at replacing the screen in my C350. I’ve been looking at all options and doing tons of research. From what I’ve been reading,:most of these units require your car to come equipped with a AUX input and the CarPlay box gets connected to your OEM radio via that aux in. They say that’s the only way to get sound from CarPlay out of the factory system.
I returned the entire car to OEM to trouble shoot if the AUX input in my arm center console (through the MMI port) even works and I cannot get that to work even with OEM. Does anyone know what could be causing just the simple AUX port to not work at OEM? I have one of those MMI to 30pin ipod + aux connector adapters plugged in. Confirmed my 3.5mm audio cable works.

I feel like part of the troubleshooting will be to first solve if AUX works in my car to begin with with the OEM headunit / nothing installed. When I have 7.5.1 MOST ON and 7.5.2 INTERNAL AMP, I get FM radio outputting through the stereo speakers but I cannot get any audio from the MMI port through either the 30-pin ipod or 3.5mm aux cable end. If I set 7.5.2 to EXTERNAL AMP then FM radio stops working and MMI port still doesn't work. If I set 7.5.1 to MOST OFF and 7.5.2 INTERNAL AMP, then the MMI port doesn't charge the iPod anymore (so I assume MOST always needs to turned on?)

Last edited by MBUser901; 08-07-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:33 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Okay quick update, I finally got audio to work by having my iphone connected to MB Bluetooth and routing audio through that meanwhile having just the carplay unit video interface running (I'm using wired carplay for now). I still cannot figure out how to route audio so that it is using AUX option within OEM interface (i.e. not having my phone connected to two different systems - MB Bluetooth for audio and carplay unit wired for carplay interface). As soon as I switch 7.5.2 to EXTERNAL AMP, I lose any option to be able to output audio to car speakers (i.e. cannot use MB Bluetooth for audio and wired USB for carplay video interface nor the AUDIO -> AUX option in interface).

I think this may be going back to just with my OEM unit and nothing else installed, I cannot figure out how to get my center arm to output anything to AUX (either the ipod or the 3.5mm female ends). any ideas here? Is there a physical 3.5mm plug in the heavy OEM Mercedes w166 head unit where I'm supposed to plug in the 3.5mm cable coming out of the carplay unit? I don't see it anywhere to plug that cable in but I see mention of people trying to plug the 3.5mm output from the carplay unit into the MMI plug in the center arm console (I've tried that and it does nothing either, nor do I know how I would route that 3.5mm cable in a pretty way to my center console...).
Old 08-07-2023, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,202 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
I did not see a brand for the ebay unit. Most folks have installed the Road Top CarPlay unit successfully. There is a sticky thread in the R231 forum that discusses the installation and troubleshooting processes.

I've had mine in for quite some time. I actually installed two devices, one for my SL and one for my wife's C350.

The hard wire connection does not connect to the Aux port in the center console, but rather runs directly from a USB dongle off of the CarPlay controller module. (See the photo below.) But you do need to have the audio input source set to Aux to hear through the speakers. The USB dongle is only to connect your phone when the WiFi or Bluetooth is acting up (which they tend to do from time to time). Usually, you need to forget and reconnect the Bluetooth/WiFi when that happens. Lastly, make sure the dip switch (Toggle Switch) on the controller is set correctly.

If all else fails, I recommend getting the Road Top brand since there is a lot of support for it here and on YouTube. I also recommend getting it through Amazon rather than directly from China -- makes things a lot easier if you need to return it for refund or exchange.

Last edited by JettaRed; 09-10-2023 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:16 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Just as a FINAL update - I was able to get this working. It had something to do with toggling on and off the external amp feature. All the instructions / literature were suggesting to keep it to EXTERNAL AMP (where I was getting no sound from anything), I think I reset the interface / let car sit for 30 mins with the INTERNAL AMP setting and suddenly my carplay audio fully works.

Now I can use the normal Bluetooth car audio; the radio, and carplay audio all without changing settings. Wad frustrating but must be something to do with some sort of ghost memory in the computer/head unit that wasn't allowing it to work. Was super frustrating, I would've reluctantly gotten used to just using Bluetooth connection via OEM + Carplay visually but glad I got it all sorted out.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GL 550 + 2010 GLK 350
Originally Posted by MBUser901
Just as a FINAL update - I was able to get this working. It had something to do with toggling on and off the external amp feature. All the instructions / literature were suggesting to keep it to EXTERNAL AMP (where I was getting no sound from anything), I think I reset the interface / let car sit for 30 mins with the INTERNAL AMP setting and suddenly my carplay audio fully works.

Now I can use the normal Bluetooth car audio; the radio, and carplay audio all without changing settings. Wad frustrating but must be something to do with some sort of ghost memory in the computer/head unit that wasn't allowing it to work. Was super frustrating, I would've reluctantly gotten used to just using Bluetooth connection via OEM + Carplay visually but glad I got it all sorted out.
My kit is super similar to yours. Did you end up hardwiring the 3.5mm to the ami adapter or did you do nothing and still have sound when aux is selected?
what is funny is, I'm trying to hardwire via 3.5mm adapter (through AMI interface) but then I'm selecting AUX which doesn't make a lot of sense because I think what I'm hardwiring is "Media Interface" and not "Aux" and Aux should be happening within the dash without any hardwiring. That being said, I didn't have any luck so far.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:03 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by ignorant
My kit is super similar to yours. Did you end up hardwiring the 3.5mm to the ami adapter or did you do nothing and still have sound when aux is selected?
what is funny is, I'm trying to hardwire via 3.5mm adapter (through AMI interface) but then I'm selecting AUX which doesn't make a lot of sense because I think what I'm hardwiring is "Media Interface" and not "Aux" and Aux should be happening within the dash without any hardwiring. That being said, I didn't have any luck so far.
Did none of those weird alternate methods where they required testing the Ami cable, plugging something else in (which doesn't even make sense because I'm not going to run a wire from the unit head to my glove box) etc

i did nothing except continuously fiddle with changing the settings in the dev screen until it suddenly started working. I also retain the normal audio functionality from the original MB GUI (I.e. radio / mb Bluetooth etc).

This took me like a week of trying, uninstalling, reinstalling, posting online, fiddling, troubleshooting with the seller (nothing helped) etc. I think even if it didn't work for me, the easiest workaround is just stream Bluetooth audio from your phone to the original MB Bluetooth (like you did pre getting this csrplay unit) then use the carplay for just the video feed
The following users liked this post:
Jschroter (12-02-2023)
Old 01-24-2024, 03:51 PM

W166
Originally Posted by ignorant

Hi guys, i tried to install same CarPlay kit as yours, but i got problem, i cannot activate CarPlay, i am holding back button but nothing happend. From installation manual i can see two different cable harness, can you take picture of yours?

i mean this sticker

Old 02-11-2024, 06:24 AM

W166
Hello all - I’m new member here but looking for some help. I purchased one of the Mercedes Benz NTG4.5 / NTG4.7 2012-2015 Wireless Carplay Airplay Decoder for my ML350 (2012 model) to be able to use CarPlay on the car. The purchase was on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/385238516660) and then I followed the instructions from one of the Youtube videos on installation. Connecting the main harness wires (including moving the fiber optic audio cable into the new unit’s main harness) and threading the unit into the HVAC area was relatively easy but I cannot figure out why audio is not outputting once the unit is connected.

I’ve tried:
  1. reseating the main harness in the MB unit to make sure its a correct seal and re-inserting the fiber optic cable multiple times
  2. Make sure the audio source is set to AUX
  3. Gone into the engineering mode menu to enable MOST ON & EXTERNAL AMP in 7.5 and AUDIO AUX ON in 7.7…then let the car sit locked for over an hour
  4. Make sure no mute buttons are on
  5. Deleted all prior bluetooth devices in the mercedes OEM interface
  6. Unplugged anything from the arm center box
I’m confused because no audio is working at all with the new Carplay Unit installed, but when I go back to the OEM headunit then audio works again. Could it be a faulty unit or more likely just a setting in my 2012 MB that I haven’t set right. The instructions that came with my unit made no mention of changing anything in the engineering mode menu FWIW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbUJYH-EqNw

hey!
Old 02-12-2024, 04:55 AM

W177
Originally Posted by Fil_ptk
hey!
Why don't you ask your seller for help? I installed the carputech's module for my wife's 2014 MB E350 last week. After researching for over an hour and it still wasn't installed, I contacted them for help and they responded quickly because I told them that if I get good service I will give them a good review in this forum. I think it is reliable to buy things from forum sponsors, because they will care about your comments on the forum. So if your seller doesn't provide you with technical services, return it and go for carputech. They will guide you finish the installation within half an hour, and you can contact them on the forum if you have any questions.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:20 PM

2012 C350

Hello, sorry to re-open this topic for you.

I have the exact same issue on my 2012 C350 Bluetech. I assume both my system and yours are the same.

Did it end up working with INTERNAL AMP (7.5) and AUDIO AUX ON (7.7)? Also, was everything unplugged from the center arm rest (no AUX cable connected in the AMI plug as required by Road Too instructions)?

thanks!