Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Dension Ice>Link Plus (Mercedes Ipod Integration) Install and Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by keytohwy
I've just received my iceLink Plus from Dension and tore into the box with unbridled excitement. However, once getting everything laid out, I'm wondering if this is something I am capable of doing myself, or should I hire a local car audio shop to do the install. I've got a 2002 ML320. My concern is running those wires from the back to the front. Is there a place on the web that can tell me how to do this? The instructions that came with the iceLink seem somewhat generic.

I hope this thread isn't dead, it's been a great read so far...

David
Suggest you PM Paul H. D ick - he's highly knowledgable of the ML. Sorry 'bout the extra space, but this forum asterisks Paul's name out.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBs
I've just received my iceLink Plus from Dension and tore into the box with unbridled excitement. However, once getting everything laid out, I'm wondering if this is something I am capable of doing myself, or should I hire a local car audio shop to do the install. I've got a 2002 ML320. My concern is running those wires from the back to the front. Is there a place on the web that can tell me how to do this? The instructions that came with the iceLink seem somewhat generic.
Also, here are Sam's ice>Link Plus install notes in a 2002 ML55:

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/111274-purchased-ipod-adapter-my-02-ml55.html

Last edited by Wolfgang; 08-17-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:07 PM

2004 C240 Sedan
Dension Firmware

Hey all,

Based on the advice in this thread, I decided to get an IceLink Plus for my 2004 C240. It's working fairly well, but it does have two issues:
1. The menu text on my iPod Video (5th gen) is rather small and,
2. It (seemingly) randomly decides to disconnect itself, and go in auxilliary mode (track 99). Reseating it fixes things.

The unit has firmware 2.07 on it, and from what I can find on the IceLink site, 2.07 is the latest for the MB. I was able to find the ZIP file of firmware updates, but I'm hesitant to try to flash 2.10 on the unit, given that the version listing on Dension's site doesn't mention MB.

So, does anybody know if 2.07 is the most recent for the MB, or is 2.10? Is there any risk in upgrading to 2.10?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 02-20-2006, 12:48 PM

Just to confirm - I am still hosting the Dension firmware files on my blog site - making them easier to locate now by adding them to a permanent left hand side panel.

Head over to http://www.halmaclean.co.uk to look for them there.

Sorry I can't be more specific about MB firmwares - I used the Audi config files, personally ;-)

Having said that there are a few more firmware files available now - I found a load over at www.tomtek.de in the downloads section and there are some with documentation which might help narrow it down a bit fiurther for you. As for the issues, check out ipodmycar.com for some more recent discussions about Dension in general.

Last edited by Hal_MacLean; 02-20-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:45 AM
ON SUSPENSION

you can install AUX cable about 10 minutes you have AUX input behind the command why would you go so far?MBdoctor .com
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Here's the alternative location; it works out much better. I have a swivel mount coming from ProClip that will make this permanent.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Check my type of car at the time of the posting, doctor. No AUX jack on the '00 S500.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 CL63 2015 Tesla Model S 1963 Lincoln Continental conv 1975 Pontiac Grand Prix
sound volumes

Does anyone else have different volumes for different songs? I am ripping and installing all of my cds to my ipod using the same program yet some songs sound great some are weak.... any advice?

Also, anytime I turn my car off and come back latter to drive again my command says disc 1 song 10 even if it is actually playing like disc 3 song 24

I have a 2002 cl500 it is so annoying lol any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-25-2006, 02:53 PM

2002 ML320, 1967 MGB
Sound Check

That, unfortunately, is a result of how different labels produce their CD's. You can turn on "Sound Check" in iTunes, where it will calculate the needed volume adjustment for playback. That info can carry over to iPod, whereby turning on "Sound Check" so you can hear the results. Be aware that this feature on iPod requires extra processing power and can drain the battery faster than normal. With a Dension, or other powered system, that's not really an issue.

David

Originally Posted by BadaBingMan
Does anyone else have different volumes for different songs? I am ripping and installing all of my cds to my ipod using the same program yet some songs sound great some are weak.... any advice?

Also, anytime I turn my car off and come back latter to drive again my command says disc 1 song 10 even if it is actually playing like disc 3 song 24

I have a 2002 cl500 it is so annoying lol any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-25-2006, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That, unfortunately, is a result of how different labels produce their CD's. You can turn on "Sound Check" in iTunes, where it will calculate the needed volume adjustment for playback. That info can carry over to iPod, whereby turning on "Sound Check" so you can hear the results. Be aware that this feature on iPod requires extra processing power and can drain the battery faster than normal. With a Dension, or other powered system, that's not really an issue.

David

keytohwy is correct; in addition, you may be able to use the normalization feature that some disc burning software has. In iTunes it is soundcheck. In Toast or Jam it is "normalize." I get good results by normalizing each track.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:11 AM

2012 CL63 2015 Tesla Model S 1963 Lincoln Continental conv 1975 Pontiac Grand Prix
great thanks alot guys! ... is this feature i need to pick on each track or do i turn it on and it automaticly checks each track.... also still no word on the song names transmitting to the info center right?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:50 PM

anyone?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BadaBingMan
great thanks alot guys! ... is this feature i need to pick on each track or do i turn it on and it automaticly checks each track.... also still no word on the song names transmitting to the info center right?
Read the help file for your software for how to activate the feature, for Pete's sake.

The only identifying information for songs is the title, if you named the music file. ID Tag information isn't transmitted to COMAND. This has been addressed a lot on the forum.

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-30-2006 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:00 AM

Read the help file for your software for how to activate the feature, for Pete's sake.

The only identifying information for songs is the title, if you named the music file. ID Tag information isn't transmitted to COMAND. This has been addressed a lot on the forum.

Who is Pete? I know it was addressed I was seeing if there was an update, all i read was that Dension said they were working on it Sorry if i bothered you
Old 09-07-2006, 12:40 AM

Red face Dension Ice Link Plus for 2000 ML 430?

I have a question about ipod integration for my 2000 ML 430. As far as I know, the year 2000 MLs have the old analog system instead of the fiber-optic COMAND system right? (sorry I don't know much about this at all...)

I went to a automobile stereo shop nearby and was told that there is a Dension Ice Link Plus available for 2000 MLs. Is this true. Tom@DensionUSA, or any of the gurus, can you please confirm?

Please PM me.

Thanks.
DeeWan
Old 09-25-2006, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by BenzFanOne
I have a question about ipod integration for my 2000 ML 430. As far as I know, the year 2000 MLs have the old analog system instead of the fiber-optic COMAND system right? (sorry I don't know much about this at all...)

I went to a automobile stereo shop nearby and was told that there is a Dension Ice Link Plus available for 2000 MLs. Is this true. Tom@DensionUSA, or any of the gurus, can you please confirm?

Please PM me.

Thanks.
DeeWan

you can just check their website they have a search by make and model

www.diceelectronics.com
Old 11-27-2006, 05:51 PM

This information is wonderful. However, I was looking for sellers of either ice>link or the iCruze and can't find anything to hook it into the 2001 C320. Anyone have a link that would work?

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:17 PM

CL55 AMG (2001), Audi Allroad (2003)
It looks like the ICE Link Plus is no-longer available. This leaves us with sourcing the Gateway 500 from Europe. Is there anyone with a stock of Ice Links anywhere? Or unsold inventory somewhere? That's all I'm looking for...
Old 04-05-2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by awiner
It is still early on and I will get used to the new source of musical enjoyment. I will post a review in a week or so.

Until then I have 2 comments that hopefully Denison will take note of.

First, the din cable that plugs into the Ice>Link fiber interface is inconveniently located. It blocks the Rx fiber port and while this really isn't a major issue, it involved removing the Din cable every time I needed to pull the fiber to route/re-route. Maybe in the next revision of the fiber module this should be looked at.

I needed to re-route the fiber a few times to get rid of an annoying pop/hiss in the audio. The fiber was very touchy and didn't like the slight bend I had first used to route from the fiber module to the fiber couplings.

Second, after playing with the Audio Level selection in the Denison menu, I found that 2V is a little low and 4V is too high. Hopefully Denison will add a 3V option or a 2.5V option into the next firmware release.

While not a complaint as I knew ID3 text info was not implemented as of this firmware, hopefully Denison will find at least a way to port some information over to COMAND. I have a feeling however that COMANDs limitation of what it can display on the CD changer screen is limited and this is something Denison can do nothing about.

Another thing I noticed is that getting the Ice>Link to sink with the Ipod at first was a pain. I had to pull the fuse a few times until it all worked right. What would happen is that the dock cable when inserted wouldn't tell the Ipod it was inserted. Charging would work but the Denison interface would not come up. Re-initing the fiber bus had no effect. Power had to be removed from the Ice>Link fiber module in order to get it re-sinked.

Once sinked correctly that problem went away. I hope it does not come back.
awiner, I have a 2001 E-430 with stock CD changer. Can you please tell me if the CD changer interface will accept a standard TosLink Optical input? If so, what are the chances I'd be able to connect a CarPC using say, a soundblaster card to the interface via a TosLink s/pdif connection?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:29 PM

Ice Link Plus I20-MB-F1

Anyone know of any distributor that might still have stock in the Ice Link Plus I20-MB-F1 for 2001 S500?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 PM

20001 S500
ipod integration 2001 S500 command 2.5

Hi. I am new here but have been reseaching this ipod integration thing for a while and wanted to talk about the way I went about integrating my ipod. I have 2001 S500 and originally went with the DICE as opposed to the Dension ICE device. I was told that the DICE unit was cheaper and works better. The installation was a huge pain and frankly, the installer I hired kind of gave up on it.

I came up with a different idea though. I purchased a Dietz TV (Dietz model 1441) from a German dealer on Ebay. I then purchased a Griffin Tune Center and got my hands on a IR receiver/transmitter. The Dietz unit give you RCA inputs through the tv (or blank) button on the head unit. The Tune Center was placed in the center console. The IR transmitter/receiver allows me to use the remote to control the Tune Center which is hidden in the Center Console.

My installer had no problem installing the above and now I can view my playlists and select music music on the navigation tv screen. I do not have steering wheel or headunit control over the ipod but must instead use the remote to navigate the ipod. Using the remote is easy though when you can see your playlists on the screen. As an added bonus, I can play videos and listen to music with my photos running in the background. Frankly, it is pretty cool.

Please note that you have to activate the TV functionality of the head unit and must do this through an entity that has a STAR diagnostic computer.

If you have any questions please email me.

I hope that this helps. I know that I would not have been able to do the integration without the information that I was able to find on this and other forums.

Joe.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:21 PM

20001 S500
ICE link

By the way. I have an ICE unit which I plan on putting on ebay. As I mentioned above, I didnt have much luck with it, but if anyone else wants to give a try , they can have mine at a super discount over what they go for through the internet dealers.

Joe.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:11 PM

2002 C240 Black
Agreed

"Yes, when switching modes, the Ipod turns itself off and when going back to the CD/Ipod mode the Ipod will turn on and resume from where you left off.

Ditto with when you use the phone, etc...."

This is the type of integration that sets the DICE kit above and beyond a standard plug and play AUX unit.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:20 PM

2002 C240 Black
Respect

Adam,

I'm going to criticize Dension, though, for publishing its firmware update instructions only for Windows. I am savvy enough in both Windows and Macs to be able to "translate" - but come on, Dension - the iPod is an Apple product, and I'd bet that still over half the owners of them use Macs (as I do whenever I have a choice). The old argument that there aren't enough of us to worry about hardly holds when you're writing for an Apple product. How about including instructions or at least differences for the Mac in your firmware update instructions? If you need screen shots, I can make and send you some.
Props for stickin up for the Apple crowd. This has become increasingly true, even since the time you posted it a couple years ago. Wow, I probably shouldn't be quoting such an old post haha...
Old 10-10-2007, 06:12 PM

sl55
neophyte help

I have an 04 sl55 I have been reading about the ipod connectors to take the place of the cd changer in the bin located behind the driver seat. How do get the panel off to get to the cd changer out to install without destroing it?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SoBeDoc
I have an 04 sl55 I have been reading about the ipod connectors to take the place of the cd changer in the bin located behind the driver seat. How do get the panel off to get to the cd changer out to install without destroing it?
This is a very old thread, and it discuses equipment that is no longer manufactured. You might have better luck opening a new thread with your question.

The device that replaced the Ice>Link Plus is the Gateway 500, discussed at https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...8#post2234888; however, the center fascia removal instructions are for an S500, and may not help you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Dension Ice>Link Plus (Mercedes Ipod Integration) Install and Review