Headlight Modification - Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Headlight Modification - Need Help

Hey everyone I just got into a C350 Coupe a couple of hours ago. I wanted to be patient and do the right thing and order the car exactly the way I want, but I just sold my Audi S5 and would be car-less (tomorrow), if I didn't have a vehicle.

Anyway, I really want to know if this is possible. I want to buy the headlights with the Lighting Package. Hopefully it can fit directly? I really hate the fact that the car doesnt come stock w/ Xenons, and I really dislike having to install ballast (after market HID kits).

Any help, would be great.

Here is what I got by the way.

C350 Coupe in Black
+Leather Package (Red)
+Command Package (Nav)
+Rear Spoiler
+18" AMG Wheels
+Back up Cam
^All I can think of for now
Old 01-06-2012, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Yes, you can, and they will fit and mount perfectly, but at a price.

Expect to pay slightly more than double the package/option cost. (I would say $2-2,500 is a "fair price" to do this). But you would probably have to contact your dealer as the car is so new, not all the parts are carried yet.

Also, because of the earthquake in Japan, the factory that makes the lights has had many issues producing them, even MBUSA has had a problem getting enough for production cars, so you will have to wait a while to get them.

But after you do get them and have them put in (at whatever cost). You need to find a dealer willing to go into star diagnostics to reprogram the car to tell it that the bi-xenons are present, and not halogens.

If you want full functional capability such as active curve illumination, prepare to pay even more.

With that said, if you can settle for just the bi-xenon headlights, in a few months you can probably find a pair used on eBay or something for like $1,500.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:27 AM

C350
JCT, I noticed you've been very informative with everything as far as educating the people on mbw.

Thank you

I expected it to be more than the $1200 option because it didnt come straight from the factory. I don't mind $2k, $2500 (would probably be where it will cap)

The dealer said they would help me with parts "at cost." When negotiating the deal for the car, because I stated repeatedly I want the lighting package.

If they hold up to their end of the bargain of "at cost" <--whatever that means, what price do you think i'll be looking at?

I don't care about the Adaptive Curve (would be nice, but not worth the extra labor $ - if its significant).

I was just on ebay hoping to find a used pair, but I doubt there will be anything for now. I don't mind buying new, could always sell them when I return the vehicle.

Do you know if the European shops are sophisticated enough to perform such a mod, or do you recommend going straight to the dealers?

*Thanks again
Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous5
JCT, I noticed you've been very informative with everything as far as educating the people on mbw.

Thank you

I expected it to be more than the $1200 option because it didnt come straight from the factory. I don't mind $2k, $2500 (would probably be where it will cap)

The dealer said they would help me with parts "at cost." When negotiating the deal for the car, because I stated repeatedly I want the lighting package.

If they hold up to their end of the bargain of "at cost" <--whatever that means, what price do you think i'll be looking at?

I don't care about the Adaptive Curve (would be nice, but not worth the extra labor $ - if its significant).

I was just on ebay hoping to find a used pair, but I doubt there will be anything for now. I don't mind buying new, could always sell them when I return the vehicle.

Do you know if the European shops are sophisticated enough to perform such a mod, or do you recommend going straight to the dealers?

*Thanks again

I am in the same boat as you, but I just happen to own an operate a NISMO racing/tuner shop here in in Maryland, and even I wouldn't attempt to have my experienced team try to do it for my wife's new car. Her new car which is on order, is a 2012 C350 Coupe 4-Matic. It was to be built with BiXenon HID's but we were just notified that MB is having major supply issues with their Xenon headlight supplier due to the fact that the factory was destroyed in Japan by the tsunami & quake.

So I priced it out, both headlamps (which are on major back-order, plus ballasts, leveling sensors, numerous new wiring harnesses, several new connectors and switches, along with STAR calibration places the cost way over $5000 US minimum!

"Forget about it" as we New Yorkers like to say....
Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
That's crazy. I had no idea that the Bi-xenons retrofit would cost so much on the newer 2012 models. I know of a few people on the pre-facelift w204 that have done the Bi-xenon retrofit for near the $2,500 mark (without active curve illumination). Perhaps these price are so inflated due to such a short supply. My guess is that in 6 months time they will probably be back to normal. MB is probably giving ridiculous pricing to dealers right now to order them separately since they can't even field enough for pre-ordered cars.

As far as shops capable for performing this. If you want to save money, it would be relatively "easy" depending on your skill level on taking out the old headlights, and mounting the new ones for yourself. This will probably save upwards of 5 hours of work - $500+, or using an outside shop to save on labor hour charges.

But as far as the final "button-up", I would only get it done at the dealer. You need the star diagnostics developer pack, which not even all dealers have access to (or if they do, most don't admit it). Being that you have already spoken with your dealer about getting this done, it means they won't give you a hard time about enabling the bi-xenons = present on the star diagnostics coding.

So really, if you can, try to wait for the prices to come down. I expect in 6 months time for it to definitely be more "do-able" and affordable, as the lights might even pop up on parts.com or other discount suppliers. Also, remember that you can probably sell your halogen headlights to help eat into and absorb some of the cost.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
A better idea would be to wait for one to come in at his or another dealership. My dealer has three on the lot right now (but they're not 4Matics) with BiXenons... the OP should shop around... simple....
Old 01-06-2012, 09:05 PM

2009 C300, 2012 GLK350, 2012 C350C
has anyone thought about getting projectors retrofitted to at lease be able to use HIDs?

i have been asking around and for about $1000 you can have projectors put in the low beam locations...

any thoughts
Old 01-07-2012, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
I got the impression that the OP already got the car... So sounds like shoppin around is out of the question.

As far as retrofitting projectors into the housing, it is possible, but I am not sure how it would look. Hopefully if doesn't look like an aftermarket job. Usually people only retrofit quality projectors into housings that have halogen projectors. (so instead of using h7 bulbs with a crappy cutoff, they use D1s bulbs with quality projectors and cutof. But since you are replacing a reflector housing works projector. I would assume you have to cutout the reflector, custom mount and support a projector, wire in resisitors so they won't throw error codes, and somehow try to make the smaller projector take up the larger space of the reflector without looking "ghetto".

You would definitely new a quality shop, but if done properly, would be a good solution. However. You will never have the led "c-shape" accents in the housing.

I would just retrofit hid into the headlight, aim the lights much lower to prevent blinding oncoming traffic through the white Allen key adjustment in the engine bay behind Te healdight housings and call it a day if you weren't going to fully retrofit bixenons. But that's just me...
Old 01-07-2012, 11:33 AM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
I wouldn't even bother upgrading the lights. Here is why,

I had a 2010 GLK without Lighting package. I so desperately wanted the BiXenon so I checked into it thoroughly.

The lights are too expensive off the shelf. Its ridiculous really. The dealer may not want to do this and may be told by MB not to do it. They wouldn't for me when I had a GLK. Also, I am not sure if you still would get curve illumination. Are the motors that run the curves and controllers inside or attached too the housings? I don't know. I think you also need the camera thing in the windscreen. This is somehow integrated into the lighting system to work the automatic highbeams and the Lane Detection (sweet options by the way). I am not sure if all models have the camera in the windshield. My new C350 Coupe has Lane Detection, Blind Spot and Lighting package. The camera is quite large.

I also remember I didn't have the rear view dimming mirror in the GLK. So I bought a factory one. Installed it myself. It was really easy to do and the wiring harness was the same. So I expected everything to be perfect after programming. So I took it to the dealer to be programmed. After the programming, my cornering lights were completely freaking out. They were staying on for extended periods of time and melting the housings. It was later found that the mirror install was a problem because there was another module or control box somewhere needed that needed to match the cars that came with the mirror option from the factory.

What I am trying to say is, there is ALOT more to the headlamp system. There exists the possibilty that there is more to change than we may think.

I would wait for inventories to stock up with BiXenon cars then trade up. In the end it may actually be pretty close.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:57 AM

C350
Thanks for the replies guys.

Like many others have mentioned, it is really hard to find one with the Lighting Package. If I hadn't sold my car so quick, I would have ordered a vehicle to my exact specification or allowed myself more time to look for one.

Looks like I'll have to go the aftermarket HID/Xenon route (which I really can't stand at the moment right now).

Any recommendations for aftermarket? I hear a lot of you guys like the AZN and the seller with youtube videos of his C300.

^Every kit looks identical to one another (aftermarket Xenons). Is there really a superior aftermarket HID product? I know it will look better than stock, its just that I had poor experience with aftermarket HIDs (flickering on and off).

Any help would be great.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 AM

2009 C300, 2012 GLK350, 2012 C350C
No flickering if you have resistors/error cancellers. I used DDM tuning kit in my C300. AZN will be great also.

Problem is 2012 headlamps have reflectors. Using HID in these will look inferior to havin proper projector setup.

I'm looking to do projector bi-xenon retrofit. Just haven't had time to send the headlights off yet with all this cold weather.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 PM

2012 Mercedes c250
sorry i just wanted to make it clear.. you got a coupe without the lighting package and you want to retrofit the oem bixenon on to it?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C250 Coupe

Thank you

*Thanks again
Old 01-24-2012, 11:37 PM

C350
Originally Posted by Hzkasbarian
sorry i just wanted to make it clear.. you got a coupe without the lighting package and you want to retrofit the oem bixenon on to it?
Correct. But it doesn't sound feasible, at least for now.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 PM

2012 Mercedes c250
Correct. But it doesn't sound feasible, at least for now.
thank you, i just wanted to understand because god willing i should be getting one soon, and the dealer only has the c250 loaded but without the lighting. and this is something that i can add as a project.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 AM

C350
IMO, Mercedes should really make every C250/C350 come with the lighting package, even if it cost more.

A mercedes on the road without Xenon is just silly IMO.

O well, I'm not going to dwell over this. Going to get another S5 in 12 - 18 months.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 AM

2012 Mercedes c250
IMO, Mercedes should really make every C250/C350 come with the lighting package, even if it cost more.

A mercedes on the road without Xenon is just silly IMO.

O well, I'm not going to dwell over this. Going to get another S5 in 12 - 18 months.
i agree with you on that. especially the design of the "non-bixenon" head lamps. on the 08-11 c class they (Non Bi-xenon) actually looked good. but the good thing they made stock are the pano roof and the led tail lights. and why not dual exhaust on a sporty coupe?