Brake noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300
Brake noise

Anyone experiencing the brakes making noise on their c coupe? Had mine for 2mnths now and it's making terrible a squeeling, its embarassing!

I clean it regularly so it's not brake dust/dirt etc.

Spoke to Mercedes and having it looked into later this month. The guy said they've been hearing this a lot with the 2012 models, so wondering if anyone here has had problems?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
The pads are not properly matched to the new rotors they're using (okay for braking but causing resonance). Some have had the dealership replace the factory pads with softer ones, even install all new pad guides and other hardware like teflon pad backing plates with good results. However, they will simply remove the pad and apply a thin coat of CRC Brake Quiet... works great and it's simple to do.

This has been widely reported on every new Benz forum... so you're not alone. However, if you're not persistent, the dealership will simply tell you "it's normal" and send you away... so don't take "NO" for an answer.

Last edited by MBRedux; 01-09-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the same problem too!! and it's the only part that i am not satisfied with the car!!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Hmm, this is odd. I don't have this issue on my car, but my brother reports this issue on his C250. He is bringing his car in for a rear deckshelf rattle too, and will mention it. I will let you know the results.

Have you tried the old "italian tune-up". Go on an empty road, get teh car up to decent speed, and jam on the brakes, if ABS kicks in its best results. Hopefully this will fix any screeching.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by jctevere
Hmm, this is odd. I don't have this issue on my car, but my brother reports this issue on his C250. He is bringing his car in for a rear deckshelf rattle too, and will mention it. I will let you know the results.

Have you tried the old "italian tune-up". Go on an empty road, get teh car up to decent speed, and jam on the brakes, if ABS kicks in its best results. Hopefully this will fix any screeching.
I don't know about jamming the brakes because you might get a flat spot in your tires. Happened to me in a previous car when driving on the freeway and guy in front slammed the brakes, I slammed my brakes too and ended up with a flat spot on my tire that made the tire unbalanced and shaky at high speeds. Tried to get the tire rebalanced but the mechanic said that rebalancing wouldn't help with the shaking.

Just try using that antisqueal goo first.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by jctevere
Have you tried the old "italian tune-up".
As an Italian American I can relate to this... my Dad would do this trick with his 66 Pontiac all the time in the hope that it would deglaze the pad surface. It worked sometimes but with soft asbestos based pads, not any longer sadly with carbon/ceramic/metallic based pads...
Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
C350 Coupe 4450 miles, no noise from the brakes. Very interesting
Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
To the OP, it doesn't hurt to trying to bed-in your brakes (see link below), and see if it helps... Sometimes, some new cars just need a little proper bedding-in of their brakes, both for a quiet braking as well as to reach their full braking potential.

Regards,

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 PM

2013 C204
I have around 400 miles on my car and I'm experiencing a squeel when using the brakes at low speeds less than 5MPH. When lightly applying the brakes they squeel, I don't feel as if its dangerous or they're not working just an annoying sound. I may try bedding my brakes in soon.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 AM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by Igor1080
I have around 400 miles on my car and I'm experiencing a squeel when using the brakes at low speeds less than 5MPH. When lightly applying the brakes they squeel,
Thats when I experience the squeeling as well..braking at a very low speed or when slowly lifting off the brake pedal.

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to hold the dealership accountable for now and get them to fix next week.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:28 AM

2012 C250 coupe / 2012 SLK350
Please see my post. I am new here so I apologize for not knowing how to link to it. "c250 problems". There is a "service note" issued by MB corporate about this now, regarding faulty parking brake pins causing the noise. Seems service note is when they know a part is faulty but it's non-essential, therefore doesn't warrant a "safety recall".
Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 AM

2015 C300
Got my brakes 'serviced' at the dealer. Haven't had any problems since so im guessing they knew about this service note.

I was also suggested to brake hard and not gently so the brakes can work themselves in. So one dealer advised someone on here to 'not accelerate so hard' and i'm being told to 'brake with bad intentions' *SMH

They make it sound like I should've bought a KIA...lol
Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
I get the same thing. I have my service A in about 2000 miles so should I just mention the TSB and make them replace the pins?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by slktyperice
I get the same thing. I have my service A in about 2000 miles so should I just mention the TSB and make them replace the pins?
Yup, just mention that you have the issue and that you have heard it is covered under a TSB. However, I have a feeling this is going to be turned into an "active campaign" meaning that they will check all vehicles that may have the issue when they come in to the dealer next and fix it if needed. This is because the problem seems rather widespread and my brother's c250 has this issue also (mine does not).
Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 cl55 amg Renntech air box w/ K&N's LET 180 pulley & Tune, HE & Pump, 3'' Exhaust res/cat delete
I brought min in for this problem and they said they didnt hear it and they don't see a problem. Is there anyway to post the tsb up here so I can call them and push them to fix it.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 AM

2013 C204
Originally Posted by silvercl55
I brought min in for this problem and they said they didnt hear it and they don't see a problem. Is there anyway to post the tsb up here so I can call them and push them to fix it.
I'd like to see a tsb too. I'm taking mine by the dealer tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM

2013 C204
Here goes my long story. I've had this brake squealing issue since the day I picked up my car in December. I've tried once before to take the car to my local dealer but because it was raining they couldn't replicate the sound.

** To clarify my car makes a squealing sound when coming to a stop and applying the brakes at under 5 MPH. When you lightly release the brake in situations such as stopping at a traffic signal or when moving your car from park the car tends to make a high pitched squeal akin to the sound a bus or a truck makes. However my car is does not get driven several thousand miles a week and as a brand new luxury vehicle should not be making these kinds of sounds. I feel it is embarrassing and it is not a sound anyone would want to hear. Is it dangerous or does it make my car unreliable or a safety hazard? No. But I feel as if this is something that a luxury auto maker should be able to resolve for its customers to back up its luxury image and the intended thought that their slogan is "The best or nothing.". **

One month later I decided to take the car back into the dealership to have them diagnose and fix this issue. I came for my appointment and I had to wait half an hour in order for the dealerships "quality control" test driver to take a road test with me. The "gentleman" in question was an older man with an accent and he had an apparent attitude which let me know immediately he was not going to be helpful. Within the first minute of driving my car he almost crashed it into an E class that was driving out of the dealership. He "tried" to replicate the brake squeal but knowing my luck he couldn't hear the sound I was clearly hearing. Also, the car conveniently stopped making the sound after it was sitting idle for 30 min. Even after I switched with him and tried to make the car make the sound I hear every day, no such luck.

I was sent back to my advisor and the "really pleasant" guy who I went on a drive with proceeded to explain to her that he couldn't hear it. I told them that I read about the TSB on here and I know something needs to be changed. They proceeded to trivialize my understanding of the issue as I was not a "professional" like them. I showed them a video I had on my phone which clearly shows the car making the sound at under 3 mph with no actuation of the brake what-so-ever. They told me that the shop foreman would take the car in and make a safety inspection. As I watched the clearly underqualified cro-magnon wheel my car in the service bay I knew he would be equally helpful as his co-workers. I watched this guy tinker around a bunch of computers for 30 minutes without touching my car even once. The service advisor came out and told me they'd found the TSB about the brake assembly parts (surprise! Not like I told you 30 minutes ago). They agreed to take my car in and change those parts. To cut to the point they claim they changed these parts but my car is still making the brake squeal.

The car sounds like a City bus or a cab with these ridiculous sounds. Not like a $40,000+ luxury car. I'm not sure where to go from here. The dealership hassled me to death and even after they changed the parts the car is still making this damn sound. I definitely don't want to go back to this dealership unless I have to. I'm going to post my video and copy of my service receipt.

Let me know if anyone has advice or input on this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTCJy...e_gdata_player

Here's my video of the car making this sound without me pressing the brake pedal at 3 MPH. Note this is with the windows fully closed, you can imagine just how loud it is outside.

Brake noise-792fad1c.jpg

Here's the service receipt. Note the horrendous spelling.

Last edited by Igor1080; 02-17-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:44 PM

2015 C300
From the looks and sounds of it, my issue was different than yours. Mine would only make the noise when I press the brakes or let off the brakes slowly at slow speeds. Yours sounds like a swing at a park...squeak squeak squeak vs squeaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Try another dealership maybe? Are you in the Toronto area?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 PM

2013 C204
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Jav_A
From the looks and sounds of it, my issue was different than yours. Mine would only make the noise when I press the brakes or let off the brakes slowly at slow speeds. Yours sounds like a swings at a park...
Try another dealership maybe? Are you in Toronto area?
My issue is the same as yours. Pressing the brakes at under 5 mph and they squeal. However this time the car was making the sound without me pressing brakes at all. I'm gonna hold off on visiting another dealership. If this issue persists I may voice my problems on generation Benz and contact MB customer service directly.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
My issue is the same as yours. Pressing the brakes at under 5 mph and they squeal. However this time the car was making the sound without me pressing brakes at all. I'm gonna hold off on visiting another dealership. If this issue persists I may voice my problems on generation Benz and contact MB customer service directly.
I get the same thing. So is it the faulty pins?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM

2013 C204
No. As demonstrated by the lack of change.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
That MOST definitely sounds like a parking brake needs to be re-seated. Go to you're dealer with that video. IF they let you leave with that issue, call up MBUSA. That is something that should be resolved. Even if they have to wait until the rep from stuttgart comes around.

But yeah, if you ask me, it sounds like the parking brake (not sure if pins) or just the parking brake itself needs to be adjusted. Try to engage the parking brake and pull it out hard? Maybe its slightly engaged?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yea.... this! ^ Take it out on the highway and do a few high speed power brakes... to see if it will reface the pads.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 PM

2013 C204
Here are two more videos that make it easier to understand the issue. You'll Notice I can constantly replicate this issue every time I drive my car. It happens quite frequently now. The technicians at that dealership are not very good at their job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Qpa...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no2nT...e_gdata_player
Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Here are two more videos that make it easier to understand the issue. You'll Notice I can constantly replicate this issue every time I drive my car. It happens quite frequently now. The technicians at that dealership are not very good at their job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Qpa...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no2nT...e_gdata_player
Sorry to hear, try your luck with a new dealer. Or if none are around, ask to speak with a service manager. If neither of those work, contact MBUSA and provide them the links to the video and say that the dealer is refusing the notice the issue and fix it, and ask them if they can get in contact with the dealership to help facilitate the repair of this issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake noise