C250 Coupe Tune available from Burger-Motorsports?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250
In have had the tune installed for a couple months give or take. At first it seemed pretty nice. The last few weeks I have had it go into what I have seen called "overboost" mode, where it pretty much shuts down the turbo and runs with the power of my tractor. Pull over and shut the car off and restart and it was back to normal. This happened about once a week and almost always going uphill under moderate acceleration. The tune is set to the stock setting. I never touched it.
Yesterday it went into overboost again on the same damn hill. Pulled over and restarted and when i took off it still did not feel right but the turbo was working. Just felt more like the car did without the tune. About 5 minutes later the CEL comes on and I pull over again and restart but nothingchanges. the car still feels like the tune is not there and the CEL is still on.

When I got home I checked all the connections and disconnected the battery for 10 plus minutes.

The car still drives like it did originally without the tune and the CEL is on.

I guess I am going to be forced to pull the tune and go to the dealer and have them see what's up. I am assuming the CEL will probably just be a reset but I am not sure.

I am not sure what to do with the tune. Send it in for a check up or hook it up again.

Pretty disappointed with this whole process. I did like the improvement in driving and gas mileage but not enough to put up with this.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:58 PM

2012 Mercedes c250
Originally Posted by pparker1213
In have had the tune installed for a couple months give or take. At first it seemed pretty nice. The last few weeks I have had it go into what I have seen called "overboost" mode, where it pretty much shuts down the turbo and runs with the power of my tractor. Pull over and shut the car off and restart and it was back to normal. This happened about once a week and almost always going uphill under moderate acceleration. The tune is set to the stock setting. I never touched it.
Yesterday it went into overboost again on the same damn hill. Pulled over and restarted and when i took off it still did not feel right but the turbo was working. Just felt more like the car did without the tune. About 5 minutes later the CEL comes on and I pull over again and restart but nothingchanges. the car still feels like the tune is not there and the CEL is still on.

When I got home I checked all the connections and disconnected the battery for 10 plus minutes.

I guess I am going to be forced to pull the tune and go to the dealer and have them see what's up. I am assuming the CEL will probably just be a reset but I am not sure.

I am not sure what to do with the tune. Send it in for a check up or hook it up again.

Pretty disappointed with this whole process. I did like the improvement in driving and gas mileage but not enough to put up with this.
i was having the same problem with my car, i just lowered the percentage of the tune and i havent noticed it. but it gets sooooo annoying
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 PM

2012 C250
Ditto . Everything you just said, except I don't have a check engine light... Yet . I think I'll take it out and stick with the intake .

Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 AM

2012 C250
An email to BMS resulted in a recommendation to turn down the tune to 30%. Seeing as the car feels like before I installed the tune right now I am more inclined to uninstall it and just use Sport mode.

My CEL went out this morning so I guess after a day and a half of driving the engine figured out there was nothing really wrong.

I guess this is what you get when you buy "beta" products. Hopefully someone somewhere will come up with a trouble free solution to this low end turbo lag.

My girlfriend has a C300 and I hate driving it because the power delivery is so much more linear. It makes me realize how bad the lag is in my C250. But she is averaging 23-24 mpg and I am averaging 30 - 31 plus. Guess it all depends on your priorities.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:40 PM

C250 Coupe 2011 AMG Package
An email to BMS resulted in a recommendation to turn down the tune to 30%. Seeing as the car feels like before I installed the tune right now I am more inclined to uninstall it and just use Sport mode.

My CEL went out this morning so I guess after a day and a half of driving the engine figured out there was nothing really wrong.

I guess this is what you get when you buy "beta" products. Hopefully someone somewhere will come up with a trouble free solution to this low end turbo lag.

My girlfriend has a C300 and I hate driving it because the power delivery is so much more linear. It makes me realize how bad the lag is in my C250. But she is averaging 23-24 mpg and I am averaging 30 - 31 plus. Guess it all depends on your priorities.
The CEL went off by it self or you have to drive it to dealer to reset it? If you reset to dealer, do you know the error code of CEL? I want to know cause it happen to me last month. Just wanna make sure is it the same.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:08 PM

2012 C250
The light just went off by itself.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Weird

That is so weird that you guys are experiencing problems. I was one of the first beta testers and I still have the tune since it first came out. I have 0 issues with the tune now. I switch back and forth from Sport to Economy mode all time and still no CEL or anything. I also have tune turned up to about 85% from 60%.

I will not go back to OEM stock power as long as I own this car.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

But, the person that purchased my JB+ is happy with it, so maybe it's just us three.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 AM

2012 C250
Originally Posted by Kevin82
That's great news jctevere. Feels like a brand new car now doesn't it?

I'm guessing that any power adjustment to jbtune may warrant a battery disconnect to reset ecu because the ecu seems to have issues automatically adjusting to boost and air/fuel changes from the tune. If there is anything I learned from working in the IT industry is to reboot your computer/server everytime you make any big changes. ECU is basically a computer module so rebooting the sucker seems appropriate.

Also, I think my mpg went up too because I've been getting 34-35mpg on my freeway drive to work in light traffic since battery disconnect vs 32-33mpg previously. I've gotten 35.6mpg a few times already.

I should reply . No I haven't disconnected the battery. Sounds like that should be done before I make up my mind. I drove to San Diego over the weekend and on my way out of town the overboost cut out and I was struggling to go 70 on the freeway. HAd to pull off , shut it down and start up again. Horrible and dangerous. No real problems there and back and mileage was great. I was on a mission to hyper mile it. Turned off A/C and drafted a big rig for miles. Broke 37 MPG for a minute. I finished the trip with 33.1 over 314 miles, but that was work.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C204
Originally Posted by DameMD
That is so weird that you guys are experiencing problems. I was one of the first beta testers and I still have the tune since it first came out. I have 0 issues with the tune now. I switch back and forth from Sport to Economy mode all time and still no CEL or anything. I also have tune turned up to about 85% from 60%.

I will not go back to OEM stock power as long as I own this car.
I'm in the same boat. I was probably the 3rd one to get this, definitely no regrets. I have had the CEL come on 3 times total since I put the chip in. That was at the end of February.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:51 PM

2012 C250
update

Today I decided to experiment with the tune. Figuring the press fit connector might be a weak point I taped it up very securely.
Then after reading others having success with higher settings I turned it up to around 65-70%. Did the battery disconnect for 10 minutes also for a reset.
Drove to the bottom of the hill I live on and gave it a try coming back up. Not real smooth and on the fourth slow down and then step on it, the car went into limp mode or whatever you want to call it. Obviously the press fit connector was not an issue.
So I shut it off and restarted and drove home and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and then turned the tune down to about 35%.
Tried it again and it seemed OK. No limp mode but it still does not feel like when I first installed it. But I will live with this and see what happens during the week.

Best to all.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:51 PM

2012 C250
I lost boost on the way to work today. I hit the sport button while driving about 50 MPH and then tried to accelorate a little and boom. out. Got to a stoplight, shut it off and turned it back on and no problems. It's still spotty when trying to accelorate up a hill sometimes. I am going to turn the tune down a notch and see if that helps at all.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Vegasmerc
I lost boost on the way to work today. I hit the sport button while driving about 50 MPH and then tried to accelorate a little and boom. out. Got to a stoplight, shut it off and turned it back on and no problems. It's still spotty when trying to accelorate up a hill sometimes. I am going to turn the tune down a notch and see if that helps at all.
I can confirm that on long slight inclines I will get limp mode also. Happened to me about 3 times going to vegas to california.

So it looks like disconnecting battery fix does not 100 percent fix the issue, BUT you won't get limp mode as often.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 AM

C250
I have same issue. I use 30% setting - two weeks it was fantastic. Then I've noticed an over boost issue. No CEL. I start and near 90 Km/h it stops blowing and after some seconds starts to blow again.... Disappointed...
Old 09-29-2012, 11:28 AM
SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
The JB+ is preset at 50% which was the correct setting for most DME versions in the USA when released. But MB changes things over time so it may not be the correct setting for your vehicle. If you throw an over boost code you simply need to reduce the setting to avoid it. That could mean 30% on the dial, or could mean 0% on the dial (which, is still much stronger than stock), etc. Adjusting the dial to match the vehicle is the only solution to this "problem".

Last edited by Jon@BMS; 09-29-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:09 PM

C250 Coupe
Looks like many complaints for this tune and unfortunately its scared me away from a purchase. Is BergerTuning or JB assesing the issues or working on any other new units?

I am still interested in purchasing an affordable tune for the car but i do not want to experience any of the afor-mentioned issues coming up.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Terry335
The JB+ is preset at 50% which was the correct setting for most DME versions in the USA when released. But MB changes things over time so it may not be the correct setting for your vehicle. If you throw an over boost code you simply need to reduce the setting to avoid it. That could mean 30% on the dial, or could mean 0% on the dial (which, is still much stronger than stock), etc. Adjusting the dial to match the vehicle is the only solution to this "problem".
Just adjusted to 25% because I've been getting overboost lately. Will see if this still causes overboost >if not, will bump up in increments of 5%. Will report back to you guys.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
You can hit Overboost on any "cheap" tuned that is Plug+Play. The only way to circumvent the issue is to do a complete ECU re-program to raise the limit at which the ECU trips overboost... AKA expensive tune $1,000+ like Renntech, etc.

I have my tune at 100% and haven't hit OB in well over a month. I also have the intake and did the battery reset. You will also notice that the car exhibits some "pre overboost" symptoms. As long as you back off the gas at that time you will not hit overboost. (You can hear varying boost going through the engine and even feel the car slightly lurch forward and back from the varying boost). I find that you hit overboost when you have the accelerator down "heavy" as in 50-75% depressed. However, if you have it 100% WOT you will never hit overboost (or at least I haven't).

I definitely recommend the tune despite this problem. The limp mode isn't as dangerous as some make it seem. You are definitely able to maintain your current speed and then just pull off when safe and restart the car.

Something to note: Definitely DO NOT put the car into neutral, turn the car off and restart the car and shift back into drive while you are moving. I tried this once (in a parking lot at low speeds thank god) to see if this would be a viable solution to get out of overboost mode. Not only do you not supply your transmission with pumping fluid, but the steering wheel also locks up, so I repeat DO NOT try that!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C204
I actually hit overboost on the highway once and I turned the car off at 60MPH lol. I turned it back on no problem. But honestly I've had my JB+ on 70% since like February and I've hit overboost like maybe 5 times total. It runs just fine for me. Honestly I couldn't imagine driving without it.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hit my first over boost tonight, the acceleration went flat, but I drove 30 interstate miles with little problem. I'm set @ 70%!

However.... I got no CEL or anything on the message center, anyone else not have the dashboard light up?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:32 PM

2013 C250 - White with Pano
I just received the JB+ and installed it over the weekend on my 2013 c250. It has only been 2 days since i installed it and I can feel a small but much needed increase in power. The car drives nicer in E mode and S has an even better feel. I have not driven the car too much yet so it is too early for a real review. I have noticed that my mpg increased a bit so far. It seems to be giving me about 2-3 more mpg.

I will write more once i have been driving it for a few weeks.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:39 PM

C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by MiamiDJs4u.com
I just received the JB+ and installed it over the weekend on my 2013 c250. It has only been 2 days since i installed it and I can feel a small but much needed increase in power. The car drives nicer in E mode and S has an even better feel. I have not driven the car too much yet so it is too early for a real review. I have noticed that my mpg increased a bit so far. It seems to be giving me about 2-3 more mpg.

I will write more once i have been driving it for a few weeks.

Congrats.

Please keep us posted.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM

2012 C250
It's been about 3 trouble free weeks with my tune set at about 35%. No over boost issues and seems reasonably responsive. Not as good as when I first installed it but better than without. I may try to turn it up one notch this weekend and see what happens.
Obviously different settings or possibly different driving styles make a difference here.

Best of luck to all
Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 PM
SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys,

We're finally sponsors over here. Will poke around from time to time to help people out and provide product updates. But if you need support the best way to reach me is via email via terry@burgertuning.com.

Last edited by Jon@BMS; 10-30-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM

2013 C250 - White with Pano
Hi everyone,

It has been about 2 months since i installed the tune and so far i have been very happy with it. I got my first ever CEL last night on my way home from work. I was taking a turn....hard and in the higher rev bands of 3rd gear. I was in manual mode and i must have over boosted or hit the red line a little too long. The CEL came on and the engine switched into the "safe" mode where there is little power available. I pulled over and restarted the car and it did not seem to help as the CEL stayed on. I remember reading about this problem here so i pulled over again, shut off the engine, open/closed the door and locked myself in the car for 2 minutes. Once the 2 minutes went by i restarted and the CEL was finally gone and everything was back to normal. I took it easy on the drive home and i have no issues so far.

Overall i think this engine/turbo combination for this c250 is a little weak. My previous car was a 2004 VW Gti with the 1.8 turbo. I had a cat-back exhaust, REVO tune and a few small extras. HP was estimated at 240 and torque was estimatd at 275. This car was a 5 speed manual and i ragged on it from 2004 until i sold it in October 2012. Very few issues and it took my abuse alot better than this C250. Its a good thing i dont drive as hard as i used to because this Benz would not be happy with my earlier driving habbits.

Final verdict, a good tune but the car does not seem to like hard driving...best to get a C300 or c350 for more spirited driving.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C250 Coupe Tune available from Burger-Motorsports?