Damaged my interior!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Damaged my interior!

After doing some spring cleaning I discovered what I thought was dirt/grime was actually wear and tear on the inside of my passenger seat (not leather). Being Canadian I spend 6 mths of the year playing hockey and have always put my stick between the seat and the console (I've done this for years with multiple vehicles without any problem).

Attached are pictures. Upon closer inspection there is a pointed/sharp ridge under the material and apparently the placement of the stick cause the leather like material to almost wear through.

I'm going to stop by the dealer and question them as I've never seen anything like this with my other vehicles (who knew Fords/Mazdas/Volvo's had tougher interior).

Can't believe this happened in less then 6 mths
Attached Thumbnails Damaged my interior!-img-20120502-00002.jpg   Damaged my interior!-img-20120502-00003.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
is there a sharp hard edge IN the seat where the leather tore?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 AM

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Kevin82
is there a sharp hard edge IN the seat where the leather tore?
Yes. When you check out that area this is a thin metal (hard plastic?) ridge under the material and it seems the pressure from the stick pushed the material onto this causing the tear.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C350 coupe; 2013 ML350
Originally Posted by RickOttawa
After doing some spring cleaning I discovered what I thought was dirt/grime was actually wear and tear on the inside of my passenger seat (not leather). Being Canadian I spend 6 mths of the year playing hockey and have always put my stick between the seat and the console (I've done this for years with multiple vehicles without any problem).

Attached are pictures. Upon closer inspection there is a pointed/sharp ridge under the material and apparently the placement of the stick cause the leather like material to almost wear through.

I'm going to stop by the dealer and question them as I've never seen anything like this with my other vehicles (who knew Fords/Mazdas/Volvo's had tougher interior).

Can't believe this happened in less then 6 mths
that is bad...but, cmon Rick...that is what trunks are for
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Sorry if you decide I'm a jerk for saying it, but when you buy a car with such a nice interior, you don't go sticking hockey sticks between the front seat and console! If I were the dealer I wouldn't honor your request unless there IS indeed an obvious defect (like if that 'sharp' bump is not supposed to be there). No offense intended. I hope you are lucky and they do cover it.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by RickOttawa
Yes. When you check out that area this is a thin metal (hard plastic?) ridge under the material and it seems the pressure from the stick pushed the material onto this causing the tear.
I just checked my seats and it has that hard edge under the material too. I think mercedes should have smoothed that out because it's feels like it's too easy to accidentally rub something there and tear the seats.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Ouch!!!! I honestly don't think the dealer will do anything though
Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 PM

2012 C250 Coupe
Just noticed I never came back and updated this. Yes, Mercedes did replace the cover. I no longer put my stick there but have noticed that the sharp edge under the seat cover is still putting stress on the material and I suspect it will wear through again (without the help of my stick).

I meant to take a look at the seats in a 2014 to see if the edge under the seat cover is still sharp. Will let you know (if I remember).
Old 12-17-2013, 09:29 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Just for clarification is that a non leather interior ?? here in Australia only the C180's are fake/sythetic leather so wondering if the same will happen to seats fitted with real leather as the sythetic material is harder and more prone to breakage/cracking compared to real leather which is softer and more compliant to being stretched etc.

Out of curiosity I'll have a look at my seats and see if that sharp edge is also there, havn't noticed any defects in that area before, will have to watch out for it.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:22 AM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
I would highly suggesting 303 Aerospace solution to wipe out any leather or etc around your car. You could get it on Amazon and it is amazing what it does.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:29 AM

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by AV1
Just for clarification is that a non leather interior ?? here in Australia only the C180's are fake/sythetic leather so wondering if the same will happen to seats fitted with real leather as the sythetic material is harder and more prone to breakage/cracking compared to real leather which is softer and more compliant to being stretched etc.

Out of curiosity I'll have a look at my seats and see if that sharp edge is also there, havn't noticed any defects in that area before, will have to watch out for it.
My car has the Artico "fake" leather. I would suspect that real leather will hold up better even though the Artico is touted as being better wearing than leather.

I would also like to state that perhaps the extreme cold my car is subject to in the winter (sometimes as low as -30c) probably doesn't help.

Last edited by RickOttawa; 12-18-2013 at 10:31 AM.