Can Keyless-Go and iPod integration be added after purchase?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe w/ AMG Package
Can Keyless-Go and iPod integration be added after purchase?

Can Keyless-Go and iPod integration be added after purchase? thank you
Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 AM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by davidwhelan3
Can Keyless-Go and iPod integration be added after purchase? thank you
Keyless go NO, forget about it, its never gonna be worth it. Ipod connection; doesnt your car already have that? we don't sell any c-coupes without ipod integration here in NZ, even the audio20 systems have that
Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM

c300
I'm looking for a cheap ipod integration as well.

is this the right product?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BEN...#ht_1468wt_728

Im new and dont know how much service charge will be to install the product
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by dikson_kwan
I'm looking for a cheap ipod integration as well.

is this the right product?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BEN...#ht_1468wt_728

Im new and dont know how much service charge will be to install the product
I dont think that's the right one, it would have to have something that connected to the head unit, that may be one of the parts but there should be more wires
I'm going to my Mercedes dealership tomorrow so I will let you know
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 PM

c300
Thx for the reply. I only have aux now and it's really inconvenient to have to change songs directly from the ipod instead of from the steering wheel/ the screen.

I guess this is the right product:
Amazon Amazon

Rather expensive, hopefully installation is easy and inexpensive.

PS. I heard from my friends that going to mercedes dealership will cost more (parts and service charge), wonder if this is true?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by dikson_kwan
Thx for the reply. I only have aux now and it's really inconvenient to have to change songs directly from the ipod instead of from the steering wheel/ the screen.

I guess this is the right product:
http://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Benz-...9467347&sr=8-4

Rather expensive, hopefully installation is easy and inexpensive.

PS. I heard from my friends that going to mercedes dealership will cost more (parts and service charge), wonder if this is true?
Yeah that's it, it's probley going to cost a little more from
Mercedes but not much more, I think it's $80 an hour when they are customizing your car so however long it takes them, I personally am going to get the dealership to do it because then if it doesn't work it's on them and I don't fell confident in my ability to take apart my car haha
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 PM

c300
cool. do u use the same ipod integration kit? or is there anything cheaper out there?

let me know the final cost when you go to the dealership tomorrow. Im gonna use it as a leverage if i decide to go to a dealership as well.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 PM

W203-4M W163
Check on ebay. I got the OEM kit for W203 for under $200, but might be too soon for that price for W204. DIY install took less than one hour, but I haven't seen a DIY for W204 on here yet though so it might be more involved (but I doubt it).

Here's the DIY for W203 (2005-2007) that I used.

http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/187-...2007-w203.html

Anyone done this for W204?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM

W203-4M W163
Here's the W204 kit from Sovereign MB in Brooklyn. I bought two kits from them--great service, OEM as promised.

2005-2007 W203 kits are $195, 2008-2011 W204 are $295
Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 PM

W203-4M W163
I called about 5 dealerships around the country to get prices before I installed the iPod integration kit. Average was between $450-$500, but one wanted $600--LOL. Took me about 45 minutes, kit cost $195, so even at the low ball price of $450 they're making over $250, plus the kit markup for a job that must take a trained mechanic about 30 minutes. Nice.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:02 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
It's a shame and a bit of a rip on MB's part that ipod integration isn't standard in some Countries, it's standard on much lower end cheaper cars

As for keyless go it features quite a number of extra additions and as far as MB Aust. is concerened, they will not install it separately it has to be ordered and fitted from factory only.

Hopefully there's a way for people who want keyless go to get the whole set up installed and working properly...
Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by FraKctured
I called about 5 dealerships around the country to get prices before I installed the iPod integration kit. Average was between $450-$500, but one wanted $600--LOL. Took me about 45 minutes, kit cost $195, so even at the low ball price of $450 they're making over $250, plus the kit markup for a job that must take a trained mechanic about 30 minutes. Nice.
You don't actually think the difference is all profit right?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:04 AM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by NardoNZ
You don't actually think the difference is all profit right?
No, no profit at all--this is charity work from start to finish!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 AM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by FraKctured
No, no profit at all--this is charity work from start to finish!
LOL, nice one

the reason why I said that is because yes, dealerships are more expensive but Mercedes-Benz demands everything top notch, like building, location, work thats being executed etc.. that just comes with a price. So you can imagine that a dealership charges more than an ebay seller that doesn't have any extra costs..

I wasn't trying to be smart
Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 PM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by NardoNZ
LOL, nice one

the reason why I said that is because yes, dealerships are more expensive but Mercedes-Benz demands everything top notch, like building, location, work thats being executed etc.. that just comes with a price. So you can imagine that a dealership charges more than an ebay seller that doesn't have any extra costs..

I wasn't trying to be smart
LOL! I thought you were being sarcastic...but I totally agree--dealer has huge overhead that has to be paid for, but I think that this is reflected in their cost for parts (dealer cost quote for the part was $225, so not far off) and in their labor costs (they post at $100-$125 per hour in my region). So, when a 30 minute install is $200 higher than both the part and the posted labor costs, it seems a little much in my opinion. I'm happy when the dealership makes money, but why are they quoting this high over their posted prices? I installed two of these, so I know exactly what the labor time is.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:32 PM

I asked my service advisor today, he called the parts department and they said there was no iPod integration kit for the 2012 out yet, so maybe this eBay seller is trying to pass the 2011 kit for the 2012, my dealer wants $175 to do it plus the cost of the part, $300-$350 im guessing
Old 06-17-2012, 02:06 PM

W203-4M W163
I asked my service advisor today, he called the parts department and they said there was no iPod integration kit for the 2012 out yet, so maybe this eBay seller is trying to pass the 2011 kit for the 2012, my dealer wants $175 to do it plus the cost of the part, $300-$350 im guessing
I wonder if it takes longer with the new screen above the head unit? Doesn't seem likely, but could be more involved I guess. Like I said, I installed two of these--one in my car and another in my friend's C230K. First one took an hour (going slowly and carefully to make sure I didn't screw anything up), and then second one took 30 minutes.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I understand the whole keyless go package may not make economical sense to try to retrofit, but what about just the push to start? I know it's included in the keyless go package, and there is some communication between the key fob and the push to start button, i.e. you can't start the car if the key is not present. Is that just a programming thing? Could the key fob be reprogrammed to function this way? Also, in my G37, you had to have the brake pressed to start the car, is that the same case in the C? If so, I guess there would be some integration there. I really liked the keyless go package on my G37. It's really disappointing the MB does not make this a standard. I mean, I think it's standard even on Nissans now, lol.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by bhcubed
I understand the whole keyless go package may not make economical sense to try to retrofit, but what about just the push to start? I know it's included in the keyless go package, and there is some communication between the key fob and the push to start button, i.e. you can't start the car if the key is not present. Is that just a programming thing? Could the key fob be reprogrammed to function this way? Also, in my G37, you had to have the brake pressed to start the car, is that the same case in the C? If so, I guess there would be some integration there. I really liked the keyless go package on my G37. It's really disappointing the MB does not make this a standard. I mean, I think it's standard even on Nissans now, lol.

The funny thing is it would be the easiest thing to retrofit in my opinion. The car already knows where the key is because it does not auto lock when the key is inside the car, nor can you lock it from one of the key fobs while the other is in the car, the button is just like the key, it has a little nub on the back that looks exactly like the one on the key that stores the info that allows you to start the car, if Mercedes sold these buttons (which they don't ive asked many times) all you would need to do is program it to your key and it would work. The car would be push to start but you would still need to use the key to get into the car
Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM

2016 C450 AMG
The funny thing is it would be the easiest thing to retrofit in my opinion. The car already knows where the key is because it does not auto lock when the key is inside the car, nor can you lock it from one of the key fobs while the other is in the car, the button is just like the key, it has a little nub on the back that looks exactly like the one on the key that stores the info that allows you to start the car, if Mercedes sold these buttons (which they don't ive asked many times) all you would need to do is program it to your key and it would work. The car would be push to start but you would still need to use the key to get into the car
That's interesting to know about the button. So, there may not even need to be any re-wiring? The only other thing is tying in the brake pedal. I'm not sure how that is done. I saw a listing on ebay for the button. It supposed to be OEM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MERCEDES...c234a4&vxp=mtr

For only $45, maybe I'll buy one and give it a shot.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:07 PM

2016 C450 AMG
How does the factory installed push to start work? I'm assuming you push the brake down, then push the push to start button to start the car. That's how my G37 worked. If you didn't push in the brake it would cycle through the on, acc, etc. positions. It would be kind of pointless to retrofit a push to start button if I had to push it 3-4 time to start the car. lol. Or maybe it would just be a push and hold?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:15 PM

That's interesting to know about the button. So, there may not even need to be any re-wiring? The only other thing is tying in the brake pedal. I'm not sure how that is done. I saw a listing on ebay for the button. It supposed to be OEM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MERCEDES...c234a4&vxp=mtr

For only $45, maybe I'll buy one and give it a shot.
The button is fully removable, which is why the button isn't in all the showroom models, I took the one out of my friends and put it in mine, it fit perfectly but it doesn't start the car. I doubt that's OEM, but even if it is I doubt your local dealership would code it for you . But give it a try and let me know! I may also try aswell
Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM

2016 C450 AMG
The button is fully removable, which is why the button isn't in all the showroom models, I took the one out of my friends and put it in mine, it fit perfectly but it doesn't start the car. I doubt that's OEM, but even if it is I doubt your local dealership would code it for you . But give it a try and let me know! I may also try aswell
When you put the button in your car, did you have to remove anything or does it just fit in the hole just like the regular key? Was there any wiring to it? Bummer it didn't start it. Maybe it does need to be programmed then? It looks to be OEM, but who knows. I think I'll inquire at my dealership about the programming first before buying the button.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 PM

When you put the button in your car, did you have to remove anything or does it just fit in the hole just like the regular key? Was there any wiring to it? Bummer it didn't start it. Maybe it does need to be programmed then? It looks to be OEM, but who knows. I think I'll inquire at my dealership about the programming first before buying the button.
No I didn't have to remove anything, it fits right in like the key you can push it in too, but the only thing it's missing is the programming to work like your key, which takes a matter of seconds, it's just like when you have to get a replacement key, all they have to do is program the blank. I'll inquire about it to my dealership as well and post what they say.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Maybe if you took it to Walmart or Ace Hardware they could do it aswell?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can Keyless-Go and iPod integration be added after purchase?