GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 450e 2024

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 450e
GLE 450e 2024

I'd like to share my recent experience with my brand-new GLE 450e 2024, and I'm also curious to hear your thoughts. Last Sunday was scorching hot when my family left church and headed to the car. Before I settled my daughter into her car seat, I wanted to cool things down, so I went over to the passenger side, pressed the start button twice, placed the key in the console, and turned on the AC. Once my daughter was snug in her seat, I closed her door and walked around to the driver's side to get in. That's when I realized the car had locked itself automatically, with the key still inside and my daughter still in the car. Panic set in as I couldn't unlock it via the Mercedes Me app since the ignition was on.

I immediately called Mercedes Benz service, but they couldn't assist. In desperation, I dialed 911, and while waiting, I tried to break the window using a rock. but couldn't make it. I am going to post about the cost of replacement passenger window soon. And then thankfully, the police arrived and managed to open the door. my baby is fine.

Now I'm left wondering how the car could lock itself while parked with the ignition on. Is this a safety feature? Is it normal behavior, or could there be an issue with my car's locking system? I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Last edited by 450e; 07-03-2024 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by 450e
I'd like to share my recent experience with my brand-new GLE 450e 2024, and I'm also curious to hear your thoughts. Last Sunday was scorching hot when my family left church and headed to the car. Before I settled my daughter into her car seat, I wanted to cool things down, so I went over to the passenger side, pressed the start button twice, placed the key in the console, and turned on the AC. Once my daughter was snug in her seat, I closed her door and walked around to the driver's side to get in. That's when I realized the car had locked itself automatically, with the key still inside and my daughter still in the car. Panic set in as I couldn't unlock it via the Mercedes Me app since the ignition was on.

I immediately called Mercedes Benz service, but they couldn't assist. In desperation, I dialed 911, and while waiting, I tried to break the window using a rock. but couldn't make it. I am going to post about the cost of replacement passenger window soon. And then thankfully, the police arrived and managed to open the door. my baby is fine.

Now I'm left wondering how the car could lock itself while parked with the ignition on. Is this a safety feature? Is it normal behavior, or could there be an issue with my car's locking system? I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on this. Thanks!
I’m glad your daughter is Ok. This precisely is the reason why I never take my key out of my pocket. I never could understand why to put the key in the car. It works in your pocket. This goes back to a post I did about not having a smart key.
The following users liked this post:
450e (07-04-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 10:06 PM

Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
I actually do the same thing quite frequently since sometimes it doesn't read the key while leaning in, hitting the brake pedal with one hand and the start button with the other. Whether its loading the kids, cargo, or temping the car, so don't feel bad about it like you did something wrong. Both of my MBs have never locked like what has happened in your situation, nor do I recall any settings that would lock upon door closing which is strange.

In my profession having to jump in and out of vehicles dozens of times a day, I had seen and learned the hard way about locking keys in a car, made it a habit any time I start the car and my butt isn't in the drivers seat to hit the window down button for half a second. Saved me a number of times w/ my work vehicles. I lower the window and knock on the door panel, Shisha Kanko method.

Last edited by vincheung; 07-03-2024 at 10:08 PM.
450e (07-04-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 10:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL55
That must have scared you, so happy your daughter is ok. I always stash a hard key (pulled from the spare key) on my vehicles.
450e (07-04-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 643 Likes on 478 Posts
MB
I wonder why Mercedes Me doesn't allow you to unlock the door while the ignition is on.
450e (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 10:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2024 GLE 450e

A harrowing experience.

Clearly it should not have happened.

1. I don't understand why you pressed the ignition twice. If it was to cool the car without running, you can also use the precondition feature of the App.

2. It should not lock with a fob inside from an outside door. Have you tried to recreate this without your daughter inside and a spare fob nearby as backup but out of range?

3. The App should have worked even while running. Try that again too.

4. Do you have the child lock active for rear doors? (Look for a small lever on the side of the door, near the latch.). This is a different topic but also important.

As others have said I keep my fob on me but I can see a woman leaving her purse with the fob in the car.
450e (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 10:36 AM

GLE 450e
@Elvisfan0108 Yup this is what Ive learned from this situation. never left the key from me! thanks for the advice!

Last edited by 450e; 07-04-2024 at 10:39 AM.
Elvisfan0108 (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 10:38 AM

GLE 450e
@wildta i googled it and it was because of the safety reason.
Old 07-04-2024, 10:39 AM

GLE 450e
Originally Posted by vincheung
I actually do the same thing quite frequently since sometimes it doesn't read the key while leaning in, hitting the brake pedal with one hand and the start button with the other. Whether its loading the kids, cargo, or temping the car, so don't feel bad about it like you did something wrong. Both of my MBs have never locked like what has happened in your situation, nor do I recall any settings that would lock upon door closing which is strange.

In my profession having to jump in and out of vehicles dozens of times a day, I had seen and learned the hard way about locking keys in a car, made it a habit any time I start the car and my butt isn't in the drivers seat to hit the window down button for half a second. Saved me a number of times w/ my work vehicles. I lower the window and knock on the door panel, Shisha Kanko method.
@vincheung Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-04-2024, 10:40 AM

GLE 450e
Originally Posted by Iceclimber7
That must have scared you, so happy your daughter is ok. I always stash a hard key (pulled from the spare key) on my vehicles.
@Iceclimber7 Thank you for the advice!!
Old 07-04-2024, 10:48 AM

Received 126 Likes on 89 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
so I went over to the passenger side, pressed the start button twice, placed the key in the console, and turned on the AC
Could you elaborate on the mechanics here a bit? Assuming nobody touched the key or door lock buttons in the car, I can think about a couple of things:

1) The car typically doesn't auto-lock with a key inside. It possible that it didn't sense that the key was present in the car. One example is temperature controlled cup holders as these have thick metal on the sides that interfere with the RF waves, there is a warning about it in the manual. The manual also recommends to keep the keys on you to prevent situations like this.
2) With the above in play, the car auto-locked itself after 40 seconds as it didn't see a "door opened" event. I.e., The car was off, either locked or unlocked with the door open. Then, somebody pressed "open" on the key or a sensor area on the door, subsequently closed the door, which could trigger auto-close. I haven't tested this scenario in practice though.

Originally Posted by wildta
I wonder why Mercedes Me doesn't allow you to unlock the door while the ignition is on.
It's a safety thing. Nobody feels comfortable with remote systems messing with vehicles as they are being operated. So, you typically want the vehicle electronics to refuse remote commands in such scenarios. I remember the FCA incident that exposed the ability to remotely brake and accelerate the vehicles...

Last edited by stktyz33; 07-04-2024 at 10:58 AM.
450e (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 10:48 AM

GLE 450e
Originally Posted by parato
A harrowing experience.

Clearly it should not have happened.

1. I don't understand why you pressed the ignition twice. If it was to cool the car without running, you can also use the precondition feature of the App.
- I was not knowing the car can be ignition on without break pedal. And yes, I will use the precondition feature through the app for the next time. lesson learned.
2. It should not lock with a fob inside from an outside door. Have you tried to recreate this without your daughter inside and a spare fob nearby as backup but out of range?
- I'd tried again in the same situation when I came back home. and it didnt happened. and also I tried to lock the door using the key while ignition on and parked, lock button of the key didnt work outside. I still dont understand why it happend.
3. The App should have worked even while running. Try that again too.
- The app said lock & unlock feature is deactivated while ignition on.
4. Do you have the child lock active for rear doors? (Look for a small lever on the side of the door, near the latch.). This is a different topic but also important.
- Yes it is activated.
As others have said I keep my fob on me but I can see a woman leaving her purse with the fob in the car.
- Yes, this is what i learned from this situation. Im not a woman but yes. keep the key on my hand.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by 450e; 07-04-2024 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-04-2024, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLE 53 SUV

With Mercedes Me app you are able to unlock the car iusing your phone.

Mercedes Me Unlock/Lock screen - use to unlock car with your phone.
450e (07-06-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 10:59 AM

GLE 450e
Originally Posted by stktyz33
Could you elaborate on the mechanics here a bit? Assuming nobody touched the key or door lock buttons in the car, I can think about a couple of things:

1) The car typically doesn't auto-lock with a key inside. It possible that it didn't sense that the key was present in the car. One example is temperature controlled cup holders as these have thick metal on the sides that interfere with the RF waves, there is a warning about it in the manual. The manual also recommends to keep the keys on you to prevent situations like this.
- This is what I understood. but the key was inside, and I dont have the option for hot & cool cup holder. and the key was on the console box not in the cup holder.

2) With the above in play, the car auto-locked itself after 40 seconds as it did see a "door opened" event. I.e., The car was off, either locked or unlocked with the door open. Then, somebody pressed "open" on the key or a sensor area on the door, subsequently closed the door, which could trigger auto-close. I haven't tested this scenario in practice though.
- GLE 450e has function that ignition off automatically after few mins when I dont drive after ignition on. So i was waiting until the car is ignition off automatically and then I can unlock the door using the app. but it didnt happend. the car keeps ignition on for over 30min. and there is nobody but me and my daughter. so impossible to somebody pressed unlock or lock.
Still dont understand why it happened and I simulated that I recreated what happened back then. but the car was fine and automatically lock the door was not happened again.

It's a safety thing. Nobody feels comfortable with remote systems messing with vehicles as they are being operated. So, you typically want the vehicle electronics to refuse remote commands in such scenarios. I remember the FCA incident that exposed the ability to remotely brake and accelerate the vehicles...
- I googled it and yes it was a safety reason. understoond.

Thank you for your advice!!
Old 07-04-2024, 11:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLE 53 SUV
If ignition status was preventing remote unlock, you could turn off or turn on the ignition with the Mercedes Me app first and then try the unlock function.
Also here is a setting in Mbux to NOT automatically lock the doors but I think auto locking only occurs after you drive off.
Is it possible your child pushed the lock button?
450e (07-06-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 11:36 AM

Received 126 Likes on 89 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by RMiles
If ignition status was preventing remote unlock, you could turn off or turn on the ignition with the Mercedes Me app first and then try the unlock function.
Also here is a setting in Mbux to NOT automatically lock the doors but I think auto locking only occurs after you drive off.
Have you actually tried it with the ignition manually (not via the remote start) switched on? Remote control gets disabled. After idling for a while, 20 mins or so, the engine may turn off unless cancelled by the driver. Potentially, it may unlock the remote control but I haven't tried it.
450e (07-06-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 12:21 PM

GLE450e
This is the first car I’ve had that I can start without knowing exactly where the key is.

As a result, I’ve prioritized key fob security and lean heavily towards pants with zippered pockets. Amazon has a great pair of shorts where the zippered pockets keep the key fob at an acceptable place, while both walking and driving:

Anthem Athletics Hyperflex 7 Inch Men's Workout Shorts - Zipper Pocket Short for Running, Athletic & Gym Training

450e (07-06-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 643 Likes on 478 Posts
MB
BTW for future reference, if you ever need to break glass of your car, something sharp and pointy is much more effective than a blunt object. If you have acoustic glass, you'll also need to either just kick out the entire glass window or cut thru the laminate layer with a knife, after you shatter the glass.

The acoustic glass is great for theft prevention of smash and grabs but not for emergencies like this.
450e (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:39 PM

GLE 450e
With Mercedes Me app you are able to unlock the car iusing your phone.

Mercedes Me Unlock/Lock screen - use to unlock car with your phone.
Unfortunately PHEV is slightly different. no remote start on and off on the app because it doesnt need to.
And once the car is ignition on, the lock function is inactivated.

Old 07-06-2024, 09:43 PM

GLE 450e
I don't have ignition on and off function on the app because it's PHEV.
that is what I understood. the auto lock should be activated once the car is moving slowly. this is so weird situation and my kid is under a year old and no possible to reach when seated on the car seat.
Old 07-06-2024, 09:44 PM

GLE 450e
Originally Posted by wildta
BTW for future reference, if you ever need to break glass of your car, something sharp and pointy is much more effective than a blunt object. If you have acoustic glass, you'll also need to either just kick out the entire glass window or cut thru the laminate layer with a knife, after you shatter the glass.

The acoustic glass is great for theft prevention of smash and grabs but not for emergencies like this.
thanks for the tips!
Old 07-06-2024, 09:49 PM

GLE 450e
This point was what I really wanted to have. I was expecting ignition off automatically because the car supposed to be ignition off automatically if it doesnt move for a while.
However, this didn't occur at that time.
Old 07-06-2024, 09:51 PM

GLE 450e
Originally Posted by stktyz33
Have you actually tried it with the ignition manually (not via the remote start) switched on? Remote control gets disabled. After idling for a while, 20 mins or so, the engine may turn off unless cancelled by the driver. Potentially, it may unlock the remote control but I haven't tried it.
This point was what I really wanted to have. I was expecting ignition off automatically because the car supposed to be ignition off automatically if it doesnt move for a while.
However, this didn't occur at that time.
Old 07-07-2024, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
I don't have ignition on and off function on the app because it's PHEV.
that is what I understood. the auto lock should be activated once the car is moving slowly. this is so weird situation and my kid is under a year old and no possible to reach when seated on the car seat.
Most cars these days will auto lock if you unlock the door but don’t actually open it. The car must not have sensed that the door had been opened. May have been a fluke. But be safe, keep the key on your person.
450e (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE
Originally Posted by Iceclimber7
Where specifically on the GLE? I did this on my old Inifiniti, where I could pop out the side marker light by hand and used galvanized wire to tie it to the wiring.
450e (07-08-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE 450e 2024