C350 Coupe Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mazda
C350 Coupe Questions

Hey All,

I've been doing quite a lot of research as I'm in the market for a newer vehicle. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out exactly what I want (and am all over the place trying to make the best decision), but a few top choices are the Audi S4, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Merc C350 coupe.

This is my first post, so I'll introduce myself. I drive around 20,000 miles per year commuting to work and to eastern South Dakota. I live in the Minneapolis area and I hunt and fish, which is where the Jeep is nice. I love to drive, hence the Audi. The Merc is cheaper and very comfortable, and I enjoyed the test drive with it. In the winter I will be driving on gravel roads that are not plowed well so the 4-Matic would be a great benefit with the C350. This brings me to the reason for my post.

I’ve read about a lot if transfer case issues with the 4-Matic tranny. I’m looking at the 2013-14 Merc and wondering if it applies as much to these years also. I haven’t been able to find as much recent information, more so complaints about the older models. Have there been transfer case problems with these years of the Merc?

I would love the RWD version of the C350 but not sure winter tires will suffice in certain situations. I appreciate any responses, so thank you in advance.

Ben
Old 09-13-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Ben,
Nice choices in cars. I have a good friend that just traded in his S4 for a C350 coupe, he just liked it better for what that is worth. As far as winter driving, you live in serious snow country, you need AWD so dismiss the rear wheel drive idea, trust me, even with winter tires RWD is not what I call confidence expiring. As far as the transmission issues it seems to me that it tends to be cars where folks don't change their trans fluid at the scheduled time. Do that and I don't tend to see a lot of issues. I have both a C300 sedan and a C350 coupe, both 4 matic and have only had one issue on the C300 (2011 MY) and that was a sensor. You may also think of posting in the W204 Sedan section which has a lot more traffic than the coupe section and the cars are mechanically the same. Good luck on your choice
The following users liked this post:
benw315 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
i live in toronto canada, and it snows pretty good here in the winter and i have a RWD C250 1.8T ... i got brand new winters all around and i can manage it, the traction control is very safe.. but it would be a lot easier with 4 matic for sure... especially getting traction when you are trying to roll from a stop. plus my car is a coupe and its 1 inch lower already. this will be my 2nd winter
benw315 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 07:58 PM

I hunt and fish as often as possible so I have a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, yeah an old woody. If you only have one vehicle to drive get the jeep. Maintenance will be less, your tires will last longer etc. I hate to steer you away from a Merc but from a practical perspective the jeep is probably the way to go. If you are like me I carry a lot of crap when I hunt and the C is just not practical. Plus where are you going to throw the deer.
benw315 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mazda
Originally Posted by Atlas Grey
I hunt and fish as often as possible so I have a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, yeah an old woody. If you only have one vehicle to drive get the jeep. Maintenance will be less, your tires will last longer etc. I hate to steer you away from a Merc but from a practical perspective the jeep is probably the way to go. If you are like me I carry a lot of crap when I hunt and the C is just not practical. Plus where are you going to throw the deer.
Haha yes if I didn't love to drive spirited and put on so many miles, the Jeep would be an obvious choice. That, along with mileage, is really the only knock on the Jeep. Other than I guess the Merc was more comfortable for me on the test drive and that may come in to play on the 3.5 hour drives I do a couple times each month. Not to derail my own thread, but what do you typically hunt? And fyi... I don't always get a deer so then I'm just fine lol.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:36 PM

I totally understand where you are coming from. I primarily hunt deer. Mostly archery but also with rifle. Hunt turkey, geese, and my favorite hogs wherever I can.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:04 PM

2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
You don't need AWD but snow tires or good all weathers are needed. I live where there is snow for 6 months of the year.

My winter car is a 2000 Honda Civic with good all weather tires and it does just fine and I never get stuck. When I drove a Porsche many years ago my winter car was a 1971 Pinto. Rear wheel drive with crappy tires and I still did OK with a metric ****t ton of snow that we get here.

I just bought my 2008 C230 4matic a couple months ago but I am already wanting to sell it to buy a little newer rear wheel drive coupe.

I won't drive it in the winter since that is what I have the Civic for.

Last edited by Colin G; 09-30-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 c350 4matic coupe (gone) 2015 ML350 4Matic 2015 BMW 335ix MSport
I too was looking at used S4s when I came across the 2013 C350 4matic coupe that I purchased. I also have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. First off, S4/S5s are great cars. Since I was focused on CPO/Used, I found the values a bit high here in New England. On the other hand, I was able to get my C350 for 1/2 of MSRP with 38K miles. I have a set of 17" alloys with Blizzaks for the winter - probably overkill for the snow amounts I see but I feel they provide a higher level of grip than the Conti all-season tires I have on the factory wheels. I also like avoiding damage to the 18" AMG wheels that came on the car.

It's hard for me to compare the C350 with the JGC as I feel they are very different vehicles. One thought is to look at the ML350. It has a much better interior that the JGC, yet has the same capable chassis as it was co-developed by Damler-Chrysler company. Perhaps it's worth a look?