OBD2 CarPlay activation will get removed with Audio 20 Update/Recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK320
OBD2 CarPlay activation will get removed with Audio 20 Update/Recall

Just an FYI.
I have a 2017 C200, I purchased a CarPlay OBD2 activator from UniChip, worked great.
However MB have just released "Vehicle Safety Recall 2599" (Australia, but I believe the program is worldwide).
Which is an update to Audio 20 Control Unit Software for C and GLC models that relates to airbag status display.

I contacted UniChip and they advised applying this update will deactivate the CarPlay activation and reuse of the OBD2 will not reactivate it.
They are not currently working on a solution, but I believe they plan to.

So... keep CarPlay, or maybe an issue with your passengers airbag. Tough choice depending how much you like your passengers.

Does anybody have any further information regarding the update and the safety of not doing it?

Old 04-03-2019, 03:49 AM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
E43AMG
Originally Posted by I_am_Sam
Just an FYI.
I have a 2017 C200, I purchased a CarPlay OBD2 activator from UniChip, worked great.
However MB have just released "Vehicle Safety Recall 2599" (Australia, but I believe the program is worldwide).
Which is an update to Audio 20 Control Unit Software for C and GLC models that relates to airbag status display.

I contacted UniChip and they advised applying this update will deactivate the CarPlay activation and reuse of the OBD2 will not reactivate it.

So... keep CarPlay, or maybe an issue with your passengers airbag. Tough choice depending how much you like your passengers.

Does anybody have any further information regarding the update and the safety of not doing it?

Hi,

I just tested my solution for 2019 GLC with SA154 and updated Audio20 HU5es2 at C-Class 205 MY2018 and GLC253 MY2018/2019 with SA154
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263210338859

tested to work with cars produced Mar-2019 and updated Mar-2019

p.s. also activates the CarPlay&AndroidAuto at E-Class W213 CLS257/238/205FL with SA506 Audio20 HU55_Entry
Old 04-11-2019, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W205 2018
Lost android auto after Audio20 recall update

Any luck Sam? I just made the same mistake by having the Audio20 updated by Mercedes Dealership and now I have lost Android Auto. I tried using the Unichip again, but it gets to 15% and it says Unsuccessful, Error

I am gutted. £200 down the drain

QUOTE=I_am_Sam;7657133]Just an FYI.

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-11-2019, 08:53 PM

CLK320
Hey mate, not as yet...
Unichip don't seem to have a product that is compatible yet.
vladimir that responded saying theirs work, I contacted via PM and sent my VIN. They advised it will work.
I'm not in any super rush, but once I get it done at Merc and get my order from vladimir, I'll definitely post back.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:36 AM

CLK320
Just an update, I finally ordered one fro Vladimir, worked great.

(Only thing was car key needed to be in position 2 not 1 when completing the update with the OBD2 unit)
Old 06-19-2022, 10:12 PM

Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts
C63 Vert
How do I reach Vladimir? I am trying to get a 2017 convertible unlocked. I heard the sedans in 2017 cannot be unlocked, but looking at the cars it seems the convertible may not be the same as a sedan.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:15 PM

CLK320
Originally Posted by cls5504matic
How do I reach Vladimir? I am trying to get a 2017 convertible unlocked. I heard the sedans in 2017 cannot be unlocked, but looking at the cars it seems the convertible may not be the same as a sedan.
He has posted in this thread, you can try to contact him via the forum.
Or, follow the eBay link he posted which takes you to the item he is selling, then contact him through eBay.
Hope he can help!
The following users liked this post:
cls5504matic (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 05:45 AM
SPONSOR

Received 858 Likes on 665 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
I do activation
even after update
Old 06-25-2022, 08:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe
Hi all, I got a 2017 C300 Coupe last October (here in Canada). Been trying to do as much research as possible regarding adding CarPlay, but most articles involve installing a physical unit. Is there an OBD2 activation that works?
Old 06-26-2022, 09:20 PM

CLK320
Mate, I would reach out Vladimir, he is helpful. Most likely need to send your VIN and he will let you know.

In my research, for the 2017 C200, it all depended on the particular data code installed at time of manufacture. (You can stick your VIN in a VIN decoder online and it will tell you what data codes you have.) If you have the right ones and the correct command unit installed then it's just OBD2 activate, but if you don't, then if I recall it's a lot more complicated.

I also tried to reach out to MB at the time to get official install, but it was very hard finding someone who was able to answer. Took months and International emails between local MB and MB head office to see if it was ever going to be offered - it wasn't in the end but a maybe one day answer. It might have changed since then though?

I can't speak for BenzNinja, but he might also be able to offer advise.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:38 AM

2017 C300 Coupe
Mate, I would reach out Vladimir, he is helpful. Most likely need to send your VIN and he will let you know.

In my research, for the 2017 C200, it all depended on the particular data code installed at time of manufacture. (You can stick your VIN in a VIN decoder online and it will tell you what data codes you have.) If you have the right ones and the correct command unit installed then it's just OBD2 activate, but if you don't, then if I recall it's a lot more complicated.

I also tried to reach out to MB at the time to get official install, but it was very hard finding someone who was able to answer. Took months and International emails between local MB and MB head office to see if it was ever going to be offered - it wasn't in the end but a maybe one day answer. It might have changed since then though?

Hi, thanks for the info. My VIN is WDDWJ4KB3HF411405

Are you able to check if it’s doable via OBD2?
If not, how would I contact him?
I can ask the dealer next time I’m there.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:55 AM

Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts
C63 Vert

For CLS 550 we could just exchange the usb and it could be unlocked. What else would we need for activation if hardware is required?
Old 06-29-2022, 08:52 PM

CLK320
Originally Posted by BTFanC300
Hi, thanks for the info. My VIN is WDDWJ4KB3HF411405

Are you able to check if it’s doable via OBD2?
If not, how would I contact him?
I can ask the dealer next time I’m there.
I wouldn't be able to check mate, I just purchased from him.

He has posted in this thread above, you can try to contact him via the forum.
Or, follow the eBay link he posted which takes you to the item he is selling, then contact him through eBay.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:19 PM

2017 C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by Waz123
Hi,
we can activate for you remotely :-)
how much? how does it work?