'18 C63 Convertible Top Cables Fraying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
'18 C63 Convertible Top Cables Fraying

Car is ten months old and this is already happening? Anyone else? Might want to take a peek.

The following users liked this post:
dwkdwk (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2020, 09:48 AM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
2018 C43 Cabriolet
I'll check mine when we get a warm enough day to lower the top . didn't notice anything before though
Old 02-01-2020, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 c300 cabriolet
just to note, i have a c300 cabriolet not the c63 but the top is probably the same

1st failure aug 2019

Couldn’t close top, stuck with it open.

Problem: limit switch went bad

Took 2 weeks to fix, under warranty.

2nd failure oct 2019

problem: Couldn’t put the top down, wouldn’t latch couldn’t finish the last step, top didn’t seem to go far enough into the trunk for the trunk lid to fully latch. Top ended up like exploding, several strings were apparently frayed/ snagged inside of the top somehow, ended up pulling out the plastic brackets on the headliner which hold the strings in place off.

Had to replace entire headliner + strings and re-rivet everything.

Took another 2 weeks to fix, again under warranty.

3rd failure dec 2019

Same problem as before, frayed and ripped strings, trunk lid couldn’t latch again for some reason. They were able to salvage the headliner again because only the strings ripped and they replaced those again. But they couldn’t get the trunk lid that houses the convertible top to close now. They re-adjusted the lid now it is no longer flush with the other panels and looks awful, was told thats all they can do. Again, under warranty .

I just got the car back yesterday and am super disappointed, I tried to explain to them my top while in the trunk sits about 1.5 inches higher than my friends car, same exact year make and model so thats why its having an issue closing but they dont seem to mind the major difference.. I cant wait to dump this car maybe I have a lemon top because I guarantee in 1-2 months Ill have a 4th failure again which is just insane in a 6 month period.

Along with those issues in 2019 my fuel pump went out and I had to get both seat belts replaced plus a ton of other warranty claims and recalls done.

My car is currently at 19,000 miles. I drove 16,000 during 2010

Always, sorry for the rant, def get it checked out its not normal to chafe.
The following 3 users liked this post by punkfs:
dwkdwk (01-15-2023), mikey100100 (07-19-2022), TorElements (07-06-2021)
Old 03-09-2020, 03:39 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
The soft top wires fraying is a known issue. It's happening on C-class and E-class cabriolets built before June 2019. Here is the post on the E-class forum with pics:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...er-issues.html

And here is a pdf of what the repair is:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...64805-9999.pdf

Here is the Mercedes service bulletin that Konigstiger posted:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI77.30-P-070145_Ver_1.pdf (45.0 KB, 851 views)
dwkdwk (01-15-2023)
Old 06-08-2020, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C300 Cabriolet
Same issue

Originally Posted by HBC350
Car is ten months old and this is already happening? Anyone else? Might want to take a peek.

I am having the same issue with my 2018 C300. Unfortunately it 1000 miles past warranty. The dealer is wanting 4000.00 to repair the issue. Saying that the they would have to replace the entire headliner. Does this sound right? Or can the cables be replace without the headliner.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:16 PM

2017 c300 cabriolet
Originally Posted by Henry Mills
I am having the same issue with my 2018 C300. Unfortunately it 1000 miles past warranty. The dealer is wanting 4000.00 to repair the issue. Saying that the they would have to replace the entire headliner. Does this sound right? Or can the cables be replace without the headliner.
it def included with the headliner both times mine was replaced. I’m telling you it’s going to happen again. 3 times already replaced under warranty . They replaced the entire convertible top in April and it’s fraying again. It’s a design flaw. I’m not keep this car without extended warranty. Only a matter of time until it rips for a 4th time
Old 08-12-2020, 01:53 PM

C43 2017
C43 Roof Failure

Originally Posted by punkfs
just to note, i have a c300 cabriolet not the c63 but the top is probably the same

1st failure aug 2019

Couldn’t close top, stuck with it open.

Problem: limit switch went bad

Took 2 weeks to fix, under warranty.

2nd failure oct 2019

problem: Couldn’t put the top down, wouldn’t latch couldn’t finish the last step, top didn’t seem to go far enough into the trunk for the trunk lid to fully latch. Top ended up like exploding, several strings were apparently frayed/ snagged inside of the top somehow, ended up pulling out the plastic brackets on the headliner which hold the strings in place off.

Had to replace entire headliner + strings and re-rivet everything.

Took another 2 weeks to fix, again under warranty.

3rd failure dec 2019

Same problem as before, frayed and ripped strings, trunk lid couldn’t latch again for some reason. They were able to salvage the headliner again because only the strings ripped and they replaced those again. But they couldn’t get the trunk lid that houses the convertible top to close now. They re-adjusted the lid now it is no longer flush with the other panels and looks awful, was told thats all they can do. Again, under warranty .

I just got the car back yesterday and am super disappointed, I tried to explain to them my top while in the trunk sits about 1.5 inches higher than my friends car, same exact year make and model so thats why its having an issue closing but they dont seem to mind the major difference.. I cant wait to dump this car maybe I have a lemon top because I guarantee in 1-2 months Ill have a 4th failure again which is just insane in a 6 month period.

Along with those issues in 2019 my fuel pump went out and I had to get both seat belts replaced plus a ton of other warranty claims and recalls done.

My car is currently at 19,000 miles. I drove 16,000 during 2010

Always, sorry for the rant, def get it checked out its not normal to chafe.

Sorry to hear. I have just experience a headliner failure where one of the plastic clips the holds on of the tension cable that folds the canvas has snapped. The roof opens but does not complete the cycle as it remains unflushed by 1.5cm. This force the lid to open up after 5 seconds and it remains open. Any ideas on how to fix this? Is this covered under warranty?

Najim (c43)
Old 08-12-2020, 01:58 PM

C43 2017
Sorry to hear. I have just experience a headliner failure where one of the plastic clips the holds on of the tension cable that folds the canvas has snapped. The roof opens but does not complete the cycle as it remains unflushed by 1.5cm. This force the lid to open up after 5 seconds and it remains open. Any ideas on how to fix this? Is this covered under warranty?

Najim (c43)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:11 AM

C300 Cabriolet
Same issue on 2018 - replaced top liner twice and passenger side window due to seal (seal it part of window).
Old 02-01-2021, 04:11 PM

2017 c300 cabriolet
Just seems like a bad design. Since my last post. I have had 3 more failures at least. They just replaced the headliner again this week , keep in mind they replaced the entire top last year and the problem still happened... but it does say “ updated headliner” but who knows. My warranty is up this year and the extension does not cover the top so I’m gonna sell it ASAP. My service advisor told me to stay far away from these cars
Old 03-21-2021, 02:45 AM

E220
E220 convertible (Roof String??)

Hi thank you for posting this.
my friend has an E220 with exactly the same issue.
what was the solution to this problem?
is it possible to do it as a home repair or did you have to take yours to the garage?

I’m not too sure what the correct name of it is, I call it the “roof string” if you know the actual name of this can you please let me know.

very much appreciated and thank you in advance.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E400 Cabriolet
Just posted these pics here (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...er-issues.html) looks like the same cord is fraying on my e400 as yours. This will be my third "fix". It is simply very poor design and very maddening.

It looks like it was a different cord the first time, didn't take pics the second time.

It seems like a simple fix would be stronger cords, or cords made differently so they wouldn't fray, or put a small roller on the d hooks so the cord would roll rather than rub. But I'm not a german engineer so what do I know!

The first fix was done after the bulletin, so presumably they followed the corrective measures. The second fix they replaced the whole headliner.

Clearly neither "fix" works, so it seems as though the issue is with the roof itself, and it sounds like a whole new roof would solve the problem, but someone earlier said even that didn't work, and of course they'll issue a million bulletins to "fix" the problem before admitting we all need a whole new roof.

I'm taking mine in next Monday will update after that.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:49 PM

2017 c300 cabriolet
Originally Posted by jimzbenz1
Just posted these pics here (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...er-issues.html) looks like the same cord is fraying on my e400 as yours. This will be my third "fix". It is simply very poor design and very maddening.

It looks like it was a different cord the first time, didn't take pics the second time.

It seems like a simple fix would be stronger cords, or cords made differently so they wouldn't fray, or put a small roller on the d hooks so the cord would roll rather than rub. But I'm not a german engineer so what do I know!

The first fix was done after the bulletin, so presumably they followed the corrective measures. The second fix they replaced the whole headliner.

Clearly neither "fix" works, so it seems as though the issue is with the roof itself, and it sounds like a whole new roof would solve the problem, but someone earlier said even that didn't work, and of course they'll issue a million bulletins to "fix" the problem before admitting we all need a whole new roof.

I'm taking mine in next Monday will update after that.

good luck . I sold my 2017 c300 cabriolet. Had 24 service records in the past 2.5 years I owned the car. 8-10 of those were top failures. Always the same issue. Glad to be out of it. Extended warranty does not cover the top so I could only imagine how much that would of been each time
Old 03-29-2021, 10:53 PM

2018 E400 Cabriolet
So they replaced the cords and/or headliner each time?
Old 03-29-2021, 10:58 PM

2017 c300 cabriolet
So they replaced the cords and/or headliner each time?
depends. The headliner was replaced 4 times since if the cord actually gets stuck and snaps it pulled the bracket thing end rips the headliner. Maybe 3-4 times I noticed it fraying early so they replaced the single cord itself before it could damage the headliner... last year they went a new route and replaced the entire top itself ... everything.

and then 2 months later it frayed again anyways lol but the last time I took it in they replaced the headliner again and the note on the receipt said updated design headliner cables or something. But I had 6 months on warranty and I don’t trust it that car was a nightmare

Old 03-29-2021, 11:07 PM

2018 E400 Cabriolet
Wow. That sucks. I like my car other than the top issues (and the remote starter rarely works, and the seatbelts don't retract), but this is getting old fast. Thanks for the info. Did you replace your MB convertible with another convertible? If so happy with it?
Old 03-29-2021, 11:11 PM

2017 c300 cabriolet
Wow. That sucks. I like my car other than the top issues (and the remote starter rarely works, and the seatbelts don't retract), but this is getting old fast. Thanks for the info. Did you replace your MB convertible with another convertible? If so happy with it?
same remote start hardly worked and seatbelts never retract but I see there’s a recall for that issue finally. I sold the car last month.

we had 2 2017 c300 cabriolets but both of them shared the top issue so it just seems like a crappy design.

We still have one of them but I went and bought a kia stinger lol I couldn’t be happier to be honest . Car was in the shop for weeks at a time every couple months. Maybe if they don’t axe the cabriolets I will try again in a few years!
Old 03-30-2021, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 184 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21
I’ve ordered a c300 cabriolet. I hope they have fixed it.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:55 AM

2018 E-class cabriolet Edition 1
I think the 3rd version of cable (a new revision after the white dot cable) did improved a lot. I have the new headliner with this new version of cable replaced last Jun, and it still pretty good shape today after my 9 months of daily usage.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:07 PM

2017 c300 cabriolet
Originally Posted by lizhaozhuo
I think the 3rd version of cable (a new revision after the white dot cable) did improved a lot. I have the new headliner with this new version of cable replaced last Jun, and it still pretty good shape today after my 9 months of daily usage.

Wonderful, good luck man! I just didnt feel comfortable taking the chance out of warranty since I had an insane amount of failures! They tried many many methods over those 2.5 years ! If the extended warranty were to cover future failures of the top I would of kept the car but I couldnt imagine how much each visit would of been out of pocket.. im sure several thousand. Loved the car but not that much lol. I hope they really fixed it for you guys!
Old 05-20-2021, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2023 EQS 450+

​​​​​​​Were these all done at the same dealer? In March I took my 18' C43 to Dealer 1 for fraying cables. I was told they repaired it. Was fine until this month when roof stopped folding back in and latching. Took to Dealer 2 and they're refusing to work on it stating Dealer 1 messed the roof up so they should fix it. MBUS is of no help currently and stated that dealers are independent so can refuse warranty work.

Last edited by BaranE; 05-20-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:46 PM

2017 c300 cabriolet
Originally Posted by BaranE
Were these all done at the same dealer? In March I took my 18' C43 to Dealer 1 for fraying cables. I was told they repaired it. Was fine until this month when roof stopped folding back in and latching. Took to Dealer 2 and they're refusing to work on it stating Dealer 1 messed the roof up so they should fix it. MBUS is of no help currently and stated that dealers are independent so can refuse warranty work.
good luck. Loved the car hated the top. As some have said they have come out with a new design that apparently resists fraying more.. good luck to you I live in Hawaii so we only had one dealer... after 8-10 failed attempts at repair we offloaded one of the c cabs. Still have the other though. Hasn’t failed since last repair thankfully !
luckily between both cars the the crazy amount of failures we were never denied a claim. Never argued

Last edited by punkfs; 05-20-2021 at 10:57 PM.
TorElements (07-06-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 184 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21
Originally Posted by BaranE
Were these all done at the same dealer? In March I took my 18' C43 to Dealer 1 for fraying cables. I was told they repaired it. Was fine until this month when roof stopped folding back in and latching. Took to Dealer 2 and they're refusing to work on it stating Dealer 1 messed the roof up so they should fix it. MBUS is of no help currently and stated that dealers are independent so can refuse warranty work.
that may be true but, MBUS is still responsible for getting the car fixed.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:27 PM

2015 GLK 250, 2017 Tundra TRD Pro, 2007 Eclipse Spyder GT
Aloha … all, I’ve been dreaming of a c43 cabriolet. I like punkfs live in Hawaii and there is only one dealership. I have a 2007 Eclipse spyder gt 6speed currently but it’s like Russian roulette if the top goes back down.

This top issue is huge and wonder what people thoughts are. Get a 2020 used or find a new 2021. I for sure want the 6cylinder so the new model coming out is not an option.

What are your thoughts?

punkfs how is your fixed c300?

mahalo…Tor
Old 07-06-2021, 06:41 PM

2017 c300 cabriolet
Originally Posted by TorElements
Aloha … all, I’ve been dreaming of a c43 cabriolet. I like punkfs live in Hawaii and there is only one dealership. I have a 2007 Eclipse spyder gt 6speed currently but it’s like Russian roulette if the top goes back down.

This top issue is huge and wonder what people thoughts are. Get a 2020 used or find a new 2021. I for sure want the 6cylinder so the new model coming out is not an option.

What are your thoughts?

punkfs how is your fixed c300?

mahalo…Tor
worst experience I've ever had with a car.. my dads is still okay after his complete replacement. he's had several repairs as well but not nearly as many as I had. he does not use his top daily unlike me, maybe he opens it once a week if that..... Im hoping they fixed the material or design issue by now because I had a 2017 which was the first year of the c class cab... but seems people with newer models still have that issue... I mean it was a great car but the extended warranty does not cover the top just fyi. After several failed "fixes" which only lasted a few months they replaced the entire top on the car but they did try to challenge and not cover it that time. lucky my advisor helped me out because he said it was probably near 6-8k to replace the top which just seems absurd. but 2 months after that it failed again lol so they replaced the headliner one more time and I sold it... I mean if the service advisor is telling me to sell it I guess I trust him! considering both my dad and I had 2017 models and both had the same issues I just assumed design or material flaw. either way good luck beautiful car. I would not keep it past the warranty expiration

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '18 C63 Convertible Top Cables Fraying