C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Problems with my C280, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi S4
Problems with my C280, need suggestions

Hey all, I'm new to the forum, however I've been lately reading stuff on the CLK55 forum and just started reading this forum. I had a few questions about a few problems on my 95 C280. First, for some reason, the engine temp sometimes reaches 120*C, it gets pretty damn close a lot of times, and this is usually just going back and forth to work about 20 miles. Even idling, after a drive, it gets up there, but when I start driving again, it starts to go down. The car has been well maintained ever since and has about 99k miles. Dealer does the full maintainance, however the problem seems to always come back eventually after each service. The other problem is when I'm braking hard, I've been always feeling a pulsating sensation on the pedal. What do you think the problem is with that. Other than that, the other cars have been running fine, I would appreciate any advice from anyone, thanks.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
Wiyh thw brakes its probably the sensor that is lokated on top of the brake pedal i had something like that and thats what the dealer replaced.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320
Here's the thread that talked about the overheating problem.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=12846

To recap:

1. Make sure the thermostat is working. Might as well change it if you change the radiator fluid (it's very cheap).

2. Use MB coolant, and a mixture of 4.5L coolant/5.5L water.

3. Make sure the radiator is in good condition.

4. Check out this thread regarding changing the viscous fan clutch (as well as other overheating fixes):
http://www.benzsport.com/forums/show...threadid=11918

5. Also, make sure you poly-v belt is in good shape. My had cracks in it, and replacing it actually helped the overheating problem a bit.

6. Might also want to check to see if the head gasket is leaking..this is a common problem on the earlier C280s.

This should help you out...

In the end, my car is still running a bit hot, but from what everyone says (including MB), it's ok. I have 130k on my 94 C280, so it's gone through quite a bit.

As for the brakes, i think that's ABS. Have you replaced the rotors lately? That sounds like it might be time to change the rotors, and maybe the pads too. Make sure the brake wear sensor is secured.

BTW, we're going to have a meet in Edison NJ, probably on 9/21 if you're interested! A bunch of people from benzsport and mbworld are going to show up.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi S4
Well I just got back, and coincidently my coolant light started lighting up on the way home, and when i pulled up back home into my garage, I noticed a very significant leakage from the front left (facing car). I just scheduled an appointment with my dealer, and I don't think I should use it until then. For now I'll use the Land Cruiser. The CLK55 is still at the shop getting repaired (got in an accident). And the ML320 is used by my dad. So yeah, until then, if you guys have any comments or suggestions on what this is all about, I'd appreciate that as well, thanks. Oh and also thanks for the suggestions about the other problems.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:29 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 C280
Same Problems with my 97 C280

DMXtremeZ

I have a 97 C 280 and I had the same problems. Well with the braking when ya slam on the brakes, the plusating you are feeling I would believe is your "Anti-Lock System" going into effect. Most cars with the Anit-Lock System will do that.

With the over heating problem. I had the same thing wrong with my car. The car would over heat while sitting in traffic, and especially when running the AC. At times the car gotton so hot, I had to shut the car off.... So, I took it to my independant mechanic in Queens, NY. They are good!! They knew what was wrong right away. They replaced my "Temp-Switch" and "ETR-Switch".. And would'nt ya know it... no more over heating. With the parts and labor, it all came to $325. Not so bad working on a Benz. Good Luck !!
Old 09-11-2002, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
bkaynz00 where is that shop in queens and also have you had any problems with your tranny and where did you tint your car
Thanx.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:46 PM

SILVER C280 SPORT
u know what ive had the same problem too. but mine only reaches about 100* all the time. i was told that my fan belt may be loose. it suck cause with this type of problem there are many factors! i dont know what to do first?
Old 10-10-2002, 10:45 PM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
MOST LIKLY PROBLEM WITH OVERHEATING IS VISCOUS FAN CLUTCH ,PER YOUR DECSIPTION ,AS FAR AS BRAKES ARE CONCERNED ,,CK YOUR ROTORS,,THEY MAY BE GROOVED,OR SCORED,UNLESS YOU ARE DEPRESSING HARD ENOUGH TO ACTIVATE ABS,,,GOOD LUCK