C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Reseting the radio after battery recharge.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010 | 10:34 PM

C 230 K
Reseting the radio after battery recharge.

I recently recharged my battery after the headlights were mistakenly left on over night on my 1999 C 230 K. Everything basically reset nicely after the battery was reinstalled with the exception of the radio. I have a shop manual that indicates that when the car is switched on and the radio is turned on for the first time a 'CODE' text message appears on the radio display. However I am not seeing this. I checked to see if the fuse was blown but it appears in tact. Can anyone out there offer any ideas or suggestions as where to investigate this problem next?

Best Regards,

Bill H.
Old 10-31-2010 | 01:24 PM

2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
Originally Posted by Kompressor99
I recently recharged my battery after the headlights were mistakenly left on over night on my 1999 C 230 K. Everything basically reset nicely after the battery was reinstalled with the exception of the radio. I have a shop manual that indicates that when the car is switched on and the radio is turned on for the first time a 'CODE' text message appears on the radio display. However I am not seeing this. I checked to see if the fuse was blown but it appears in tact. Can anyone out there offer any ideas or suggestions as where to investigate this problem next?

Best Regards,

Bill H.
Hi Bill! Just to clarify: Does the radio have power? or are you expecting that the radio will show "CODE" since your battery was drained and the manual said so?

If there is power and lights in the radio go on, and the word "Code" does not appear, then you are lucky that you do not have to enter the 5-digit code that the radio asks. Just re-program the preset radio stations and you're good to go. If the radio would show "Code", then you have to enter the 5-digit code that came with your car.

If, on the other hand, there is no power at all, you check the radio fuse and REPLACE the fuse with a NEW one (with same spec). You mentioned that you checked it and looks intact. Sometimes, it may look okay but it can actually be a blown fuse.
Old 10-31-2010 | 02:37 PM

C 230 K
Thanks for your suggestion.

Josvky,

Thank you for your suggestion. I discovered that there are 2 fuses for the radio in the C230, they appear at positions 3 & 10 in the fuse block located under the hood at the drivers side rear corner of the engine compartment. There is a spare 15 amp fuse available however I figure I will purchase new ones at the local automotive store and see if this is the issue.
I will let you know the results.

Regards,

Bill H.
Old 10-31-2010 | 04:10 PM

C 230 K
Question

Josvky,

Hey man, I replaced both of the fuses as I indicated in my earlier reply but to no avail. The radio remains lifeless. I was wondering if there might be a relay that could have gone bad or something of this sort.
If you or anyone else might have a clue as to what could have happened I would appreciate any further suggestions or ideas.

BTW nice looking car you have there.

Regards,

Bill H.
Old 10-31-2010 | 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Did you

pull the radio and replace the 10amp fuse on the back of the radio?
Old 10-31-2010 | 09:04 PM

C 230 K
OhLord,

I was afraid that this might be the issue. According to the shop manual that fuse is the fuse for the antenna. It doesn't make sense that if that fuse were blown the radio wouldn't have power? But I will check it out. I will post a reply once I pull the radio. This might be the excuse I need to upgrade it anyway.
Thanks for your assistance.

Bill H.
Old 11-01-2010 | 12:22 AM

OhLord,

I was afraid that this might be the issue. According to the shop manual that fuse is the fuse for the antenna. It doesn't make sense that if that fuse were blown the radio wouldn't have power? But I will check it out. I will post a reply once I pull the radio. This might be the excuse I need to upgrade it anyway.
Thanks for your assistance.

Bill H.
Bill, I guess, ohlord's suggestion is the last option I could think of. The radio could have completely died and you would have an excuse to upgrade to an aftermarket stereo with DVD options. Btw, thanks for the compliment.
Old 11-30-2010 | 10:24 PM

C 230 K
Its been awhile however this evening after I received the two special tools to pull the radio from its mount in the console I was able to finally check that 10 amp fuse that 'ohlord' suggested to inspect and wala that was it. So now I am back in business with the stock radio.

Thanks all of you guys that helped me out with your ideas and suggestions.

Best Regards,

Bill H.
Old 12-03-2010 | 12:32 AM

Its been awhile however this evening after I received the two special tools to pull the radio from its mount in the console I was able to finally check that 10 amp fuse that 'ohlord' suggested to inspect and wala that was it. So now I am back in business with the stock radio.

Thanks all of you guys that helped me out with your ideas and suggestions.

Best Regards,

Bill H.
That's great! Good to hear your radio is working again.