C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

SRS and Resetting. Please Urgent

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c280
SRS and Resetting. Please Urgent

Hello, Great forum and thank you. You guys have help me big time with your picture posts.

I have been reading up on resetting the SRS and its been a little confusing but informative.

I just finished changing my turn signal switch with the help of this forum. But now I keep getting a continuous sold SRS light after the car is started and will stay on. I really need this fixed asap for inspection sticker.

Besides getting the reset tool on Ebay and other way to reset this????

Anyone know a honest (LOL) reliable and inexpensive mechanic in the boston, mass area???
Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 PM

c280
Not familiar with THIS SITE.

So if 100 people look at my post and know one replies does that mean its a stupid post? Or you don't know the answer?

NOT ONE of you know the answer???
Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
I don't know what reset tool from eBay you are talking about, but the only way I know of to reset the SRS system is with the factory tool. Some independents have one; some subcontract that work to a dealer.

I have changed turn signal switches several times without setting an SRS lamp. Heck, I have removed entire steering columns without setting the SRS lamp. You may have damaged the Spiral Contact or something else. Get somebody to check the system thoroughly.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280 Sport
Honest Mechanic and Boston Mass can't be used at the same time! Try to call Foreign Auto Body in Allston, or Hermes Carriages LTD. in Camb/Belmont. They are two very good restoration shops
Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM

w202
Originally Posted by mc280kid
So if 100 people look at my post and know one replies does that mean its a stupid post? Or you don't know the answer?

NOT ONE of you know the answer???

don't yell at us!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 PM

This guy may be able to help.

Hans' Foreign Auto Repair
42 Brown Hill Rd
East Hampstead, NH 03826
(603) 382-5271

Don't know him personally, but, always MB in his yard awaiting repair. Guy has been around for ages.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 PM

c280
nhmercracer. THANK YOU SOOO much Bro. This really helps.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:39 PM

Non repairable SRS module 1998 w202 c230

Hi,

I know that an SRS module located behind the ashtray can be damaged under certain conditions. I damaged mine by removing the seats and moving the car. It also can be damaged if the steering box is uncoupled and the steering wheel turned.(posted in the repair manual) A good bodyshop tried to reset mine w/no luck.It had 6 errors that my other shop couldn't clear either. I removed it and matched the SR# to one on ebay for $100. That fixed it.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
did you fix your srs lamp problem?
Reason is that turned the ignition on while the airbag was unplugged.
On the older mercs you could check and reset airbag memory simply by grounding diagnostic line. if you still stuck i will check further for you
Old 06-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Hi Russel, which is the diagnostic line? Thanks!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan (W202)
Originally Posted by mber
Hi,

I know that an SRS module located behind the ashtray can be damaged under certain conditions. I damaged mine by removing the seats and moving the car. It also can be damaged if the steering box is uncoupled and the steering wheel turned.(posted in the repair manual) A good bodyshop tried to reset mine w/no luck.It had 6 errors that my other shop couldn't clear either. I removed it and matched the SR# to one on ebay for $100. That fixed it.
Hey Mber...

I'm experiencing the same problem you had... My car was originally throwing the SRS light and the problem was diagnosed as a faulty child occupancy sensor in the front passenger seat (common problem). In an effort to try to save some money, I decided to remove the seat and replace the sensor myself (I'm very mechanical). Problem is though that I couldn't complete the job in one afternoon and had to drive the car for a few days (without a front passenger seat) until I could finish the job.

Then when I brought it back to my mechanic to have the SRS reset, he was not only unable to clear the code - but found several more that appeared that were not there previously.

He's got my car as I write this, trying to figure out how to get the system to reset. Odd thing is that although he's able to communicate with the SRS module to read the codes - every time he attempts to clear them he gets an error message that says "Unable to Communicate With Control Module".

After reading your post, I'm thinking that maybe I fried my module by driving the car for a few days without the front passenger seat.

I'll hear from my mechanic tomorrow but he's already told me that if he can't clear the codes, I'll have to take it to the stealership. And since I'm not in a financial position to do that, and since I really don't want to sacrifice any arms or legs - I'll then have to do what you did - remove the SRS module, get the #'s off of it and match it up with one on ebay. My mechanic has even suggested this too.

Anyway - thanks for offering your experience. It's giving me insight into the very same problem which I'm now experiencing.

I really appreciate these forums and the folks on here (like you) who take the time to provide input. All of which goes to prove the adage that knowledge is only good if it's shared.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-21-2020, 02:49 PM

2000 C230 Kompressor
Having similar issue here.

I disconnected the airbag cable for a few weeks, then finally reconnected yesterday. However, SRS light stays on. My scanner doesn't show any faulty code and cannot reset either.

Not sure why this has to be the case. Nothing else changed, it was a simple disconnect and reconnect.

When you guys refer to SRS module, is that the controller box for airbag / window / speaker? Or the airbag itself?
Old 05-21-2020, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by ihaveaquestion
Having similar issue here.

I disconnected the airbag cable for a few weeks, then finally reconnected yesterday. However, SRS light stays on. My scanner doesn't show any faulty code and cannot reset either.

Not sure why this has to be the case. Nothing else changed, it was a simple disconnect and reconnect.

When you guys refer to SRS module, is that the controller box for airbag / window / speaker? Or the airbag itself?
Why would you have the need to disconnect the airbag cable ?
(Unless of course, you're replacing a seat sensor)

Where are you scanning from?
What scanner are you using?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:11 AM

2000 C230 Kompressor
I was planning to transfer the guts to the new door shell.

Scanned from underneath the driver side.
KOBRA OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth Scan Tool Adapter. KOBRA OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth Scan Tool Adapter.