C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Instrument Panel Bulb Replacement, Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 12:17 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 C220
Instrument Panel Bulb Replacement, Cabin Air Filter

I replaced the light bulb for the temperature display in my instrument panel this weekend, thought I'd post some pics. I also replaced the cabin air filter (decided to do this after reading the thread that was up last week explaining the job) ... a lot of crap came tumbling out when I opened up the filter compartment (bottom right pic).

To change the instrument panel bulb, I ordered the panel puller tools (part # 140 589 02 33 00, 8$ from BMA). These are hooks that go behind the panel and pull the whole thing out, it is held in only because it's a tight fit, no screws. I wasn't sure exactly where to put the hooks, where they are in the picture worked well for me. My steering wheel isn't adjustable as far as I can tell so I couldn't get the panel out very far ... working behind the panel was tight. But I was able to take out the temerature display unit (bottom left pic) with a torx screwdriver. The bulb (9$ from the stealership) just twists-in. Job took maybe 30 minutes once I got the tools.
Attached Thumbnails Instrument Panel Bulb Replacement, Cabin Air Filter-panel-cabin-air-work.jpg  

Last edited by mr_man12; 08-06-2003 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Those areas on the sides of the clusters, where it is like this:

VVVVVVVVVVV

That's where the hooks go. That way you have space to turn them 90 degrees and catch onto something, without scratching up the cluster or your dash.

-s-
Old 08-06-2003, 03:18 PM

Could you have rotated the bottom of the panel up to move it over the stearing wheel?

Also if you would please email me the pics and instructions for these two jobs and any others that you may have. i am building a how to DIY website for the W202...All controbutions will be credited to the proper persons.

THanks...
Old 08-06-2003, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by BenzMan1
Could you have rotated the bottom of the panel up to move it over the stearing wheel?
You can BEND the bottom of the instrument cluster up, and the top of the steering wheel down (the steering wheel cover is easy to bend because it is rubber).

But doing that, you're likely to scratch things if you don't know what you're doing. Easier to do it the right way.

-s-
Old 08-06-2003, 03:28 PM
Almost a Member!

1994 C220
I couldn't get the instrument panel out any further because of the steering wheel. Scorchie says that the airbag and then the wheel need to be removed in order to get the panel out completely. But I dunno if I want to mess with the airbag ...

Hey scorchie, can you give a bit better description of how the airbag is removed? Is there a risk of screwing up the airbag?
Old 08-06-2003, 06:56 PM

E55 AMG, Audi Q5 TDI
Can you use a different color bulb in effect changing your cluster illumination color?
Old 08-06-2003, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Wizo
Can you use a different color bulb in effect changing your cluster illumination color?
Yes, but you need to use several different bulbs in a couple sizes to get the same color across the cluster.

I tried this about two years ago when I first got my W202. Apparently my cluster in my C43 has a yellow tint added to the instrumentation, so that using blue bulbs gave a dingy green color. I didn't care for it. Others may be like this, or not. I am pretty sure the same thing happens with the CLK cluster I have in my C43 now, too, so I haven't done it.

Then, if you change your cluster, you'll need to change the color on your climate control (easy), all your switches (not too tough), your gear selector (a little harder), your stereo (it's getting tougher now), and for me, my steering wheel controls...

Just so it all matches.

-s-
Old 08-06-2003, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by mr_man12
I couldn't get the instrument panel out any further because of the steering wheel. Scorchie says that the airbag and then the wheel need to be removed in order to get the panel out completely. But I dunno if I want to mess with the airbag ...

Hey scorchie, can you give a bit better description of how the airbag is removed? Is there a risk of screwing up the airbag?
There are a lot of instructions here on mbworld (or was it on benzworld.org) on how to remove the airbag and steering wheel... I've posted it several times myself. Search on either forum for steering wheel removal...

Basically to remove the airbag, just make sure the car is off and take the screws out of the back. Then you can remove the screw that holds the steering wheel. My wheel comes off at least every month, so it's no big deal. Then again, my cluster comes out at least every week! But I can do it without removing the steering wheel. Just be careful because there is a section on my dash where there are a couple dents from the cluster being pushed against it too hard.

-s-
Old 08-07-2003, 07:26 AM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
Cabin Airfilter

Is ther just one cabin air filter or two?

An on-line parts place lists the filter as "needs two". I found the one under the dash on the passenger side on a 97 W202.

Is there a second on the drivers side?
Old 08-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Almost a Member!

1994 C220
The MBenz maintenance manual said my 94 c220 only had one filter. Some models have two filters I believe -- a paper filter and then an activated carbon filter. But I don't see why a car would need two paper filters.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:47 AM

C280 & E320
[QUOTE]Originally posted by scorchie
[B]Yes, but you need to use several different bulbs in a couple sizes to get the same color across the cluster.

So where can we get the different bulbs that you've mentioned here?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:47 AM

w202
Can you please tell me how many bulbs go into the instrument cluster of teh W202? I want to buy them before pulling it out rather than having to pull it out, look, buy and then pull it out again.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 09:54 AM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
My remembrance is four, two on both sides, but I am not 100% sure.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Cabin filters

usually the mb system has the one type for everyday use through the climate control system and then the charcoal pollen filter that you press the button on the climate control to activate to filter out bus fumes and smelly odors.
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ollen%20Filter
diy might be on benzworld.org w202 section or the hastings filter site.
ohlord
Old 04-28-2008, 01:23 PM

300E 3.2
Originally Posted by pgbenson
Can you please tell me how many bulbs go into the instrument cluster of teh W202? I want to buy them before pulling it out rather than having to pull it out, look, buy and then pull it out again.

Thanks
depends on which w202, i know the newer 2000 use different bulbs than the older version. if you have an adjustable steering wheel taking out the cluster takes about 15 mins, just take off the bottom knee bolster, pull your wheel all the way forward, then push the cluster out from the back. You'll have to undo the 2 connectors on each side of the cluster in order to remove it, they have fins on the side that need to be pushed in, in order to be disconnected.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 AM

1998 ML 320
Thanks you.

Thank you for this resourcesfull posting. It helps me to choose the right tool, sources and to replace the cluster bulbs. Thanks.

Originally Posted by mr_man12
I replaced the light bulb for the temperature display in my instrument panel this weekend, thought I'd post some pics. I also replaced the cabin air filter (decided to do this after reading the thread that was up last week explaining the job) ... a lot of crap came tumbling out when I opened up the filter compartment (bottom right pic).

To change the instrument panel bulb, I ordered the panel puller tools (part # 140 589 02 33 00, 8$ from BMA). These are hooks that go behind the panel and pull the whole thing out, it is held in only because it's a tight fit, no screws. I wasn't sure exactly where to put the hooks, where they are in the picture worked well for me. My steering wheel isn't adjustable as far as I can tell so I couldn't get the panel out very far ... working behind the panel was tight. But I was able to take out the temerature display unit (bottom left pic) with a torx screwdriver. The bulb (9$ from the stealership) just twists-in. Job took maybe 30 minutes once I got the tools.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 PM

C280
Instrument Cluster Removal 1999 C280

Just got the '99 C280, everything perfect until the inspection weenie started poking and prodding. Now the backlight for the odometer is out, and of course Mr. Inpection weenie won't pass the car without being able to read the ODO. My question is, seeing that you all seem to be pulling these panels to replace bulbs daily, does anyone know if the '99 model works the same as the rest, and whether this ODO light is just another bulb, or a dreaded LED/LCD backlight strip? A little help for a newbie? Maybe pictures, step by step instructions for the uninformed, PICS or video? Handholding from afar? Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 PM

2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
Originally Posted by C280-99
Just got the '99 C280, everything perfect until the inspection weenie started poking and prodding. Now the backlight for the odometer is out, and of course Mr. Inpection weenie won't pass the car without being able to read the ODO. My question is, seeing that you all seem to be pulling these panels to replace bulbs daily, does anyone know if the '99 model works the same as the rest, and whether this ODO light is just another bulb, or a dreaded LED/LCD backlight strip? A little help for a newbie? Maybe pictures, step by step instructions for the uninformed, PICS or video? Handholding from afar? Thanks!

I just replaced my Mileage/Trip Meter & RPM bulbs today. Easy fix, took me 20-30 minutes to do. All you need is the Puller tool, but you can fabricate using a coat hanger (metal one). Just follow what's written on the above thread and you're good to go. Fortunately, I have a telescoping steering wheel so I did not have to remove the steering wheel.

At first, it was frightening for me to do the job, thinking I might mess it up but after doing the job, it gave me a little more confidence and I guess, I could replace any busted bulbs in the cluster again in the future.

Now, the cluster lights beautifully at night.

The bulb's part no. is N 910 141 00 00 00

Thanks to this forum!!!