C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c320
K drex..would you try it then? I mean put coupe springs on a sedan? I know there are different part #'s.

Didn't you test them? or was it teins?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Marky Bends
K drex..would you try it then? I mean put coupe springs on a sedan? I know there are different part #'s.

Didn't you test them? or was it teins?
I didn't read through the discussion, but are we talking about aftermarket or stock? If we're talking stock, heck no I wouldn't try it. From what I understand, Mercedes has SO many different combinations of OEM springs due to additional options that may be on each car! If we're talking aftermarket, what specific kind?

R&D TEIN's for s-tech springs, basic and super street coilovers. Look at TEIN's website. There is a different setup for the 320 coupes.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
He's talking about Brabus, btw.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by drexappeal
I didn't read through the discussion, but are we talking about aftermarket or stock? If we're talking stock, heck no I wouldn't try it. From what I understand, Mercedes has SO many different combinations of OEM springs due to additional options that may be on each car! If we're talking aftermarket, what specific kind?

R&D TEIN's for s-tech springs, basic and super street coilovers. Look at TEIN's website. There is a different setup for the 320 coupes.
-EDIT- Just saw that it was a discussion about Brabus springs. Honestly, it really depends on how much you're paying for the springs and who is going to do the labor. If you're DIY'ing, I wouldn't see why you wouldn't try it out, if you have a spring compressor and the capabilities of doing it.

If you're having a shop install, it really depends on how much you're paying for the springs and the install.

I honestly wouldn't even F' around with it. I try not to buy used suspension/brakes. That's just a personal preference.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Do it right the first time and be done with it.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 PM

My gas sipping C-Class
what's the deal with these "pads" some of you guys are talking about?
Like: "rear #4 pad".

Do the pads add or reduce height, depending on the #? if so, what pad will reduce the height? and where do you get them?

Scott
Old 03-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
The spring pads sit at the top of the rear springs where they contact the chassis. Some models have pads at the front. The W203 does not. They are utilized at the factory to adjust and fine tune ride height based upon the vehicle’s options and their weight. Mercedes, of course, has several different length/stiffness springs from which to choose, as well. The pads merely permit deproliferation of the necessary part bins along the assembly line.

There are four pads of differing thickness available from MB:

5 mm = 210 325 01 84 (one burl)
9 mm = 210 325 02 84 (two burls)
13 mm = 210 325 03 84 (three burls)
17 mm = 210 325 04 84 (four burls)

The burls (nipples) are visible along the perimeter of their lower edge, even while they’re installed in the car. Swapping the pads requires removing the springs. It requires approximately an hour of labor. Half that if I’ve had an espresso.

Please be aware that because the motion ratio of wheel travel versus spring travel is not a one-to-one relationship, the effect on ride height from changing the pad’s thickness is approximately doubled when measured at the wheel/fender. It’s simply a function of the spring axis and the suspension arm geometry.
Wheel Rate = Spring Rate /(Motion Ratio)squared. Substitute height for rate in this instance.

MB’s convoluted formula for determining the appropriate OE pad is shown in the attachments.

Last edited by splinter; 12-04-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:36 PM

My gas sipping C-Class
Originally Posted by splinter
The spring pads sit at the top of the rear springs where they contact the chassis. Some models have pads at the front. The W203 does not. They are utilized at the factory to adjust and fine tune ride height based upon the vehicle’s options and their weight. Mercedes, of course, has several different length/stiffness springs from which to choose, as well. The pads merely permit deproliferation of the necessary part bins along the assembly line.

There are four pads of differing thickness available from MB:

5 mm = 210 325 01 84 (one burl)
9 mm = 210 325 02 84 (two burls)
13 mm = 210 325 03 84 (three burls)
17 mm = 210 325 04 84 (four burls)

The burls (nipples) are visible along the perimeter of their lower edge, even while they’re installed in the car. Swapping the pads requires removing the springs. It requires approximately an hour of labor. Half that if I’ve had an espresso.

Please be aware that because the motion ratio of wheel travel versus spring travel is not a one-to-one relationship, the effect on ride height from changing the pad’s thickness is approximately doubled when measured at the wheel/fender. It’s simply a function of the spring axis and the suspension arm geometry.
Wheel Rate = Spring Rate /(Motion Ratio)squared. Substitute height for rate in this instance.

MB’s convoluted formula for determining the appropriate OE pad is shown in the attachments.
Well, if that's not as clear an answser as I can get, I don't know what would be.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 03-31-2008, 11:48 AM

2001 C240
Alright men, 2001 C240 with 17's...75k if that matters. Have the opportunity to purchase a full Brabus suspension setup from a coworker who had them on his recently-sold C32 (want to call them coilovers, but I also don't want to use the wrong terminology...). Anyhow, consists of 2 front struts and spring as well as 2 rear shocks and springs...setup has about 5k on it and this guy drives like my grandma so I'm pretty sure they're good to go. Said he paid about $1,300 for them new, but he'll sell to me for $500 because he got his asking price for the car...3 questions:

1) Is this a good deal or should I haggle the guy some more?

2) Is this a good setup if I'm looking to get rid of that lovely gap above the wheels but don't want to *slam* the car or have it ride like a gokart? In his car it was hard to tell what was affecting ride quality as he was also "rollin' 19's yo" as you kids say these days and I'm under the impression that those can affect the car's ride, noise, stance, etc.

3) Will they fit my C240 coming from a C32 or will an AMG-spec. suspension setup not play nice on a lowly 240? I only ask this because I got the grand idea to throw a set of AMG sways on the car a few years back thinking they were essentially bolt-on and that ended up being a real pain in the *** when I had to bore out the strut mount-hole, get new bushing brackets in the front, blah blah blah.

**I feel like I may be playing with "STFF Fire" on some of these questions, but I did poke around and didn't see anything addressing them perfectly so if that is the case kindly let me know and I will do some more research. Hey atleast I didn't start a whole new thread, right?! Your thoughts/comments/flames are very much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM

c class
Eibach Pro kit (Help required)

Hi Guys

We have just fitted a set of Eibach pro springs to a w203 C180, and I must say that I am not very happy with results to the rear of the car. So If you can help me in anyway I would appreciate it.

I have a fair enough knowledge of lowering but this has left me confused , I also know that springs take time to bed in but still, anyways the problem.

The front looks perfect and as expected, a nice drop, good handling and nice ride, the rear though looks as though it has dropped about 5mm, even if I drove it for a few weeks to properly bed the springs in I still think that it would be impossible to balance it up wit the front of the car.

So is this generally the way the Eibach springs are or is there a problem somewhere, the car is on our ramp at the moment, I drove it today for roughly 20 miles on bad roads but still the rear has not moved.

If anyone has pics of their cars with the Eibach pro kit fitted then please post up some pics.

I am very tempted to nick a coil of each rear spring in the morning, I know that this will perfectly balance the car.

The other problem is when I fit the Reiger front lip to the car she is gonna be close to the ground, so more lowering to the rear is a must.

The only other option is if I heat the springs and press them, I have done this before to another car but If anything this is more time consuming and they will also be weaker than the cut springs.

Ahhhh, I hate when things go wrong.

Any advise? Please don’t say coilovers lol, this is just a project on a budget, I am hoping to have springs sorted and kit fitted for the weekend,pics to follow.

Cheers
Sparky
Old 04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Get smaller spring pads for the rear - this will lower the rear without cutting the springs.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by sparkyireland
Hi Guys

We have just fitted a set of Eibach pro springs to a w203 C180, and I must say that I am not very happy with results to the rear of the car. So If you can help me in anyway I would appreciate it.

I have a fair enough knowledge of lowering but this has left me confused , I also know that springs take time to bed in but still, anyways the problem.

The front looks perfect and as expected, a nice drop, good handling and nice ride, the rear though looks as though it has dropped about 5mm, even if I drove it for a few weeks to properly bed the springs in I still think that it would be impossible to balance it up wit the front of the car.

So is this generally the way the Eibach springs are or is there a problem somewhere, the car is on our ramp at the moment, I drove it today for roughly 20 miles on bad roads but still the rear has not moved.

If anyone has pics of their cars with the Eibach pro kit fitted then please post up some pics.

I am very tempted to nick a coil of each rear spring in the morning, I know that this will perfectly balance the car.

The other problem is when I fit the Reiger front lip to the car she is gonna be close to the ground, so more lowering to the rear is a must.

The only other option is if I heat the springs and press them, I have done this before to another car but If anything this is more time consuming and they will also be weaker than the cut springs.

Ahhhh, I hate when things go wrong.

Any advise? Please don’t say coilovers lol, this is just a project on a budget, I am hoping to have springs sorted and kit fitted for the weekend,pics to follow.

Cheers
Sparky
Please search next time, Sparky. As it says in my "stickied" thread at the top, next time I'll just delete the thread if it's already been discussed.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:57 PM

c class
Please search next time, Sparky. As it says in my "stickied" thread at the top, next time I'll just delete the thread if it's already been discussed.
Sorry friend,didnt realise that I should have posted in here
Old 04-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Sorry friend,didnt realise that I should have posted in here
No worries. Just makes things easier to keep the w203 forums organized and the search function works much better when there's fewer links to look through.

btw, as someone else indicated, change the spring pads to a smaller spring pad and you'll be set.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 PM

c class
No worries. Just makes things easier to keep the w203 forums organized and the search function works much better when there's fewer links to look through.

btw, as someone else indicated, change the spring pads to a smaller spring pad and you'll be set.

Yep, gonna check that out in the morning. I take it the spring pads are just the little rubber pad at the top of the coil? I am gonna quote the dealer the 5mm part nuber in the morning, hopefully the part number will come up good over here, should do though. If I find that it is quite a low pad in it as standard then I will probably just take a nick of the springs.

I will let yas know the outcome, it should look quite well when finished.

Goodluck
Old 04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
will spring pads raise my car a little? as of now i'm rubbing like no tomorrow, so will a 5mm, or lowest spring pad raise it just enough? where will i be able to aquire one?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:29 PM

c class
Originally Posted by Mu9enx
will spring pads raise my car a little? as of now i'm rubbing like no tomorrow, so will a 5mm, or lowest spring pad raise it just enough? where will i be able to aquire one?
What springs are you using as a matter of interest?

The spring pad part numbers are listed somewhere above and they are a dealer part, from what I have read. I need to go down the way
Old 04-01-2008, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
What springs are you using as a matter of interest?

The spring pad part numbers are listed somewhere above and they are a dealer part, from what I have read. I need to go down the way
i'm using H&R springs, sport springs if that matters. i'm so lost, i read splinter's post and got ALL confused. lol
Old 04-01-2008, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
What's your stock spring pads? #2?

I believe #1 is the thinnest and 4 is the thickest..You can replace yours to 4 if you want to raise your car (not much tho, but it might help with the rubbing)

Do you have stock shocks in your car?

BTW, dealership sells these pads
Old 04-01-2008, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
Sparky...

I had Eibach pro-kit before my COs now and all I can say those springs didn't lower my car much. Are you trying to lower yours more? Cut them then if you're on a budget

I also installed Eibach Pro-kit/ Bilstein shocks and 19s in my mom's C200. The ride is perfect IMHO compared to my harsh Basic COs. BTW, I cut 3/4 coil F and 1/2 coil R ( Might change the pads to lower the rears more) to achieve this:
Attached Thumbnails W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-c200-indo.jpg  

Last edited by B189s; 04-01-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
Originally Posted by nibo83
What's your stock spring pads? #2?

I believe #1 is the thinnest and 4 is the thickest..You can replace yours to 4 if you want to raise your car (not much tho, but it might help with the rubbing)

Do you have stock shocks in your car?

BTW, dealership sells these pads
thanks. i don't even know if i had pads on my car! i replaced the stock lux. suspension with H&R/Koni.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 PM

w211 e500
lol this is great! keep it going.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:26 AM

c class
Ok the whole spring pad thing makes complete sense to me now, I pulled out the pads at the rear, my part number 210 325 04 84 (17mm (With 4 nipples if you are into that kinda thing )

17mm being standard in this car makes sense as our roads are dirt. And as my rear lowering did not go well with the Eibach springs I ordered the 5mm ones today from the dealer at a grand total of £2.35 each or $5.00 (Trade)

So by Friday the car will look like I want it too, hopefully

Thank you for the info on the thread

Nibo83 (Just noticed your reply, thanks for the info. I am happy enough with front, I will see what difference the spring pads make to the rear).
If it was my own car I would no doubt stick some coilovers in it

Last edited by sparkyireland; 04-02-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Ok the whole spring pad thing makes complete sense to me now, I pulled out the pads at the rear, my part number 210 325 04 84 (17mm (With 4 nipples if you are into that kinda thing )

17mm being standard in this car makes sense as our roads are dirt...
Just to not mis-lead any other newbs that read this, the 17mm (#4) spring pad is standard on the luxury models. Sport models come standard with a #2 pad.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:05 PM

c class
Surely different countries use different spring pad sizes, different roads etc? Really doesnt matter, best thing is to check whats in your car physically.

So anyway I will put up a few pic's of the car. I have been given the task of making a bog standard C180 Desirable, and ready for sale. So far

Very standard :

Now fitted with the Eibach Pro kit and 18" wheels

And you can see the rear problem as she sits like a tractor :

Front :

The car is now having the kit fitted, will post new pics of rear set up once I fit the 5mm spring pads, or shims as the dealer calls them

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread