C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c230 coupe
Originally Posted by TruTaing
H&R COs are probably known to be the softest COs for the w203. In other words, probably the most comfortable

I bought mine from CreativeAutoworks a few years ago. Im sure if you check out the forum sponsors, you could still find find basics for under 900 and SSs for around the same price as H&R COs.

i thought it's the Bilstein PSS9 that has the softest ride.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 PM

05.C230K.SS
yo fellaz

anyone know or have pics or have some knowledge of how much of a drop h&r sport springs give for the w203 c230 sport sedans?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
WOW, splinter. I didn't know you ran 245 up front. That's a lot of rubber... Combined with those sways... goodbye under steer!

Im curious though... Ya put all that rubber up front, why didn't you put on wider tires in the rear? (265/275) Would this upset your current set up?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
I’d have preferred going with a 265 in the rear, but the 255’s are the widest size recommended by the tire manufacturers on a 8.5 inch wheel.

Swapping to wider wheels would tip my hand and it would lose its stock appearing/sleeper subterfuge.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by splinter
I’d have preferred going with a 265 in the rear, but the 255’s are the widest size recommended by the tire manufacturers on a 8.5 inch wheel.

Swapping to wider wheels would tip my hand and it would lose its stock appearing/sleeper subterfuge.
Having been behind you and your prey on the trip to the Meguiars class, I can say....Looks nice, but that car is a mean ****.

Debadge!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires

I'd betcha that going wider would mess up your balance. Not enough weight on the rear. Part of that friction per contact patch equation is the downforce (weight with no wing) vector.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
You definitely got the sleeper status

Ive got one more question for ya: Does having 245 up front affect the "weight" of the steering? (Is it heavier to turn the wheel?)
Old 01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by TruTaing
...Does having 245 up front affect the "weight" of the steering? (Is it heavier to turn the wheel?)
The steering effort required has remained essentially the same.

The destaggering and 245 (up from 225) installation were done separately. Because the 8.5 inch wheel is ~three pounds heavier than a 7.5 inch and each tire is ~two pounds heftier, the increased unsprung mass and their gyroscopic effect is, unfortunately, readily noticeable. Like everything, it’s a compromise. The increased grip at the limit of adhesion makes it a worthwhile modification, IMHO.

Perhaps more telling and bothersome is the decreased resistance to tramlining - resulting from changing its carefully conceived scrub radius - created when fitting 34 ET wheels in place of the OE 37 ET.

Recommended for everyone? No. Would I do it again? Yes.

W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-scrubradius.jpg
Old 01-23-2009, 11:57 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter

AMG 17x8.5” 34 ET wheels.
Michelin Pilot Sport 245/40R17 and 255/40R17s.
H&R 52732 and 52792-2 springs.
Koni 8741-1412 and Bilstein F4-BE3-6881-HO dampers with revised valving.
H&R anti-roll bars. Corner balanced. Proprietary alignment specifications.
interesting picture john...i've never seen that...were u taking picture of the girls or the car?
Old 01-24-2009, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FrankW
interesting picture john...i've never seen that...were u taking picture of the girls or the car?
Ummmm - Ummmm - Ummm the car of course
Old 01-29-2009, 12:11 AM

2004 C32 AMG
Eibach Pro Kit stock pads front + #4 pads rear = nice level 1.2" drop
on stock AMG C32 suspension

Last edited by C32dOOd; 01-29-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM

'05 C230Kss
uneven gaps after bumps

so i recently installed a set of koni shocks and H&R springs into my 2005 w203. as i am deciding between using a #3 or #4 pad for the rears, i've been observing my rear gap. i've noticed that after going over speedbumps, the gaps between the rear right and rear left become noticeably different. koni shocks are set at medium.

at neutral, the rear gaps should be 1.5 fingers when even. however, after going through a speedbump, the rear right could have a 2 finger gap while the rear left could have no gap (or vice versa) after going back to even ground.

what could be causing this? do the rear shocks have to be re-lubricated? to even out the gap, if i'm still in my parking lot, i drive the side with a larger gap over a speedbump and it sorta evens it out again. otherwise, i think it evens out a little as i drive.

TIA to anyone who can help.

Last edited by benze-ply; 01-29-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 PM

05.C230K.SS
hmm...you got any pics of ur ride with the h&r springs?

Originally Posted by benze-ply
so i recently installed a set of koni shocks and H&R springs into my 2005 w203. as i am deciding between using a #3 or #4 pad for the rears, i've been observing my rear gap. i've noticed that after going over speedbumps, the gaps between the rear right and rear left become noticeably different. koni shocks are set at medium.

at neutral, the rear gaps should be 1.5 fingers when even. however, after going through a speedbump, the rear right could have a 2 finger gap while the rear left could have no gap (or vice versa) after going back to even ground.

what could be causing this? do the rear shocks have to be re-lubricated? to even out the gap, if i'm still in my parking lot, i drive the side with a larger gap over a speedbump and it sorta evens it out again. otherwise, i think it evens out a little as i drive.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by benze-ply

Hmm! - shock absorber memory LOL! - Does this happen with one side only or both. i.e. does one side remain predominantly higher than the other? (you do say vice versa which means to me same LHS & RHS). If everything was not new I would suspect a soft spring or a shock that had failed on the rebound action only. As everything is new I suspect a condition known as stiction in the damper industry due to new tight seals & wipers which causes the shock to stick-slip on it's plunger rod, if you know what I mean. If this is the case and everything is assembled correctly then it will settle down with a bit of use. I presume that your shocks are the correct length for the lowered suspension & operating in the centre of their travel range? Let us know the answers to my 2 questions.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-30-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:25 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Hmm! - shock absorber memory LOL! - Does this happen with one side only or both. i.e. does one side remain predominantly higher than the other? (you do say vice versa which means to me same LHS & RHS). If everything was not new I would suspect a soft spring or a shock that had failed on the rebound action only. As everything is new I suspect a condition known as stiction in the damper industry due to new tight seals & wipers which causes the shock to stick-slip on it's plunger rod, if you know what I mean. If this is the case and everything is assembled correctly then it will settle down with a bit of use. I presume that your shocks are the correct length for the lowered suspension & operating in the centre of their travel range? Let us know the answers to my 2 questions.
good read

also double check the dampen setting if you have not done it after they're installed. adjusting koni's doesn't have the click on the dampen setting, so sometimes it can be hard to be sure they're both adjusted the same.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:52 PM

'05 C230Kss
Thanks Glyn and Frank!
The suspension is slightly used, bought off classified from a reputable person. I had originally thought the rear right was set to soft (the side i first noticed the anomaly) but the tech was pretty sure it wasn't (over the phone). Once it happened on the other side though, then i was confused. I'll take it in to be checked again.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:01 AM

AMG GTS
Hello everyone, I just purchased a set of H&R Sport Springs...after reading the first 10 pages of this thread, I've seen a lot of different setups. However, does anyone have a picture of how a 2003 C230K Sedan would look with JUST H&R Springs and the stock pads (are the stock pads #2 on my year/modle?) There was one member who posted a picture near the beginning of the thread but his picture "expired."

Also, if I wanted different stock pads...how much are they for a set?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Mtu

04 C230K SS 6Spd Manual
Question Higher Clearance

Hello everyone,

I've searched this forum numerous times but never found the info I'm looking for (if it's posted somewhere, please let me know). All the threads regarding "suspensions" are discussed in depth about lowering the car and etc, but none of these talk about "raising" (yes, higher clearance).
I have a 2004 c230SS with stock suspension, but as you all know, this car is lowered compare to the non SS. I'm trying to get as much clearance as possible and at the same time stay within safety/mechanical measures. Can the c240 stock suspension fit? Or is there any aftermarket option to go with?
Now I'm sure you must be wondering why anyone in his right mind would raise this type of car? This is why, I'm shipping the car to Africa (got a job offer and can't leave my car), and due to the road conditions over there, my current clearance is going to kill it in no time, as the roads have too many speed bumps, pot holes, not to mention some roads are not paved at all
Your expertise is highly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

C240 stock suspension will fit & raise you approx 15mm maybe a bit more in the nose because 240 stock accounts for heavier V6 engine.

Before you over react - however. Where are you coming to in Africa?? If you are coming to South Africa your car will be fine. Our roads are better than most in the US.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Mtu

04 C230K SS 6Spd Manual
C240 stock suspension will fit & raise you approx 15mm maybe a bit more in the nose because 240 stock accounts for heavier V6 engine.

Before you over react - however. Where are you coming to in Africa?? If you are coming to South Africa your car will be fine. Our roads are better than most in the US.
Thanks for the quick response.

If that's the case, is it possible to change my front tires to 225/50/17 (stock is 225/45/17) and rear ones to 245/45/17 (stock is 245/40/17)? I'm trying to increase the sidewall if possible too, since the c240 stock shock will raise it per your estimates. Based on the tire sizes, do you think they will rub? Are the c240 shocks "softer" or stiffer just like the stock c230ss?
I'll be in Kenya for the first 9 months, then moving to Tanzania. Btw, I have a friend in Tanzania who owns an ML270 CDI, so to him the rough roads isn't such an issue.
Thanks again for any input.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mtu
Thanks for the quick response.

If that's the case, is it possible to change my front tires to 225/50/17 (stock is 225/45/17) and rear ones to 245/45/17 (stock is 245/40/17)? I'm trying to increase the sidewall if possible too, since the c240 stock shock will raise it per your estimates. Based on the tire sizes, do you think they will rub? Are the c240 shocks "softer" or stiffer just like the stock c230ss?
I'll be in Kenya for the first 9 months, then moving to Tanzania. Btw, I have a friend in Tanzania who owns an ML270 CDI, so to him the rough roads isn't such an issue.
Thanks again for any input.
You can change the profile of your tyres without problem - they won't rub. You just need to keep the rolling circumference between back & front similar - within maybe 2% or the ESP & TCU are going to get excited with you.

You will effect your speedo calibration. Stock 240 is softer than SS.

Both countries roads are not great but Tanzania goes downhill fast when you get off of their mine maintained dirt roads. Their tar roads are reasonable to awful. Their dirt roads other than mine roads have potholes that an ML would disappear into.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Mtu

04 C230K SS 6Spd Manual
You can change the profile of your tyres without problem - they won't rub. You just need to keep the rolling circumference between back & front similar - within maybe 2% or the ESP & TCU are going to get excited with you.

You will effect your speedo calibration. Stock 240 is softer than SS.

Both countries roads are not great but Tanzania goes downhill fast when you get off of their mine maintained dirt roads. Their tar roads are reasonable to awful. Their dirt roads other than mine roads have potholes that an ML would disappear into.
GMR,

By upgrading both (front and rear) tires by 5 (from 225/45 to 50, and from 245/40 to 45), shouldn't I be in the same rolling circumference? Help me here, my light buld isn't the brightest
You lost me, what's TCU? Does this "TCU" thing apply to 6spd manual? Are you kidding me about the potholes!!?? I'm really starting to have some second thoughts. Based on those roads conditions, how long the softer (c240) shocks would lasts? I've been told the price of parts over there it's ridiculous
Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Yes - by upgrading both front & rear you are going in the right direction. Check the Tirerack website - They give revs per mile on all tyres so you can do the calculation

No - TCU (Transmission Control Unit) for auto - I did not realise you had a manual. The 240 shocks will hold up OK - I have a friend with a 240 in Dar es Salaam. He took delivery in Nairobi & drove it to Dar. If you are going to be staying around the cities or main connecting roads you will be OK. If you are regularly going to be driving out to mine sites etc. You need a vehicle like a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. When I go up there on business I use a company Prado or full size Land Cruiser VX V8. The full size is a bit wide for some rough areas.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' BMW M3
Originally Posted by c230K415
Hello everyone, I just purchased a set of H&R Sport Springs...after reading the first 10 pages of this thread, I've seen a lot of different setups. However, does anyone have a picture of how a 2003 C230K Sedan would look with JUST H&R Springs and the stock pads (are the stock pads #2 on my year/modle?) There was one member who posted a picture near the beginning of the thread but his picture "expired."

Also, if I wanted different stock pads...how much are they for a set?

maybe a little late but hope this helps...pics are a couple years old,but are with H & R springs and stock shocks... my wheels are 19's...

W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-tswbremmas003.jpg
W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-tswbremmas004.jpg
W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-tswbremmas005.jpg
W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-tswbremmas006.jpg
Old 04-02-2009, 09:35 PM

I drive a Toyota Hybrid...
Originally Posted by ebargados
i thought it's the Bilstein PSS9 that has the softest ride.
umm ummm umm actually is the hardest..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread